Townsend Labs Sphere L22 Mic ModelerThe Townsend Labs Sphere L22 microphone system from Townsend Labs models the characteristics of the most sought-after large-diaphragm condenser microphones with amazing accuracy and allows selection of different mics and patterns even after tracking.
The Sphere system consists of a high precision dual channel microphone, which when paired with the included Sphere plug-in (UAD, VST, AU, AAX Native) accurately models the response of a wide range of mics, including transient response, harmonics, proximity effect and three-dimensional polar response.
Now You Can- Record with the sound of microphones many have only dreamt about
- Change mic type, polar pattern, and other microphone characteristics, even after tracking!
- Audition the sound of different microphones without tiring the vocalist
- Reduce bleed, undesirable room coloration, and other common issues using Off-Axis Correction
- Record in stereo from a single microphone
Breakthrough Microphone Modeling TechnologySphere's three-dimensional approach captures the spatial nuances, proximity effect and off-axis frequency response of a wide range of microphones, which until now was not possible with any other product.
Dream CollectionAccess some of the most prized microphones of all time including a 47 (with VF14 tube), a 67, an M49, and a C12.
Sphere L22 MicrophoneThe Sphere system employs the high-resolution, dual-channel L22 large-diaphragm condenser microphone, custom designed to capture the three-dimensional soundfield with exacting detail. Manufactured to extremely tight tolerances, the L22 ensures that modeling is consistent and accurate.
Realtime UAD ProcessingWith Universal Audio Apollo, achieve extremely low latency (approx. 1.6ms round trip at 96kHz) for guaranteed real-time performance. Also supports native AAX, VST and AU.
Polar Pattern ModelingBecause Sphere captures the three-dimensional response of target microphones, it precisely emulates the polar patterns and other off-axis characteristics of vintage microphones which are essential to their unique sound.
Re-Mic Sphere TracksSelect mic type, polar pattern and other settings both before and after tracking.
Adjustable Proximity EffectNo need to move a microphone solely because of too little or too much bass due to proximity effect. Great for punching in a vocal where distance from the mic varies from take to take.
Dual Mic ModelsDual Mode in the Sphere plug-in makes possible phase-coherent mixing of multiple virtual mic models from the same physical microphone, before or after tracking. It's also possible to adjust the relative phase alignment of the two mics with the Align control.
Record In Stereo (With One Mic)With just one Sphere L22 mic it's possible to make coincident stereo recordings, and even have different mic models on the left and right channels, using the Sphere 180 plug-in.
Axis ShiftVirtually rotate the axis of the mic to give a more off-axis sound before or after tracking.
Off-Axis CorrectionCreate more accurate polar patterns to reduce bleed, room coloration, and susceptibility of feedback before or after tracking. For more information see the Off-Axis Correction chapter in the Sphere Hardware and Software User Guide.
Polar MeterThe Sphere plug-in features a visually informative (and very cool) Polar Meter that dynamically displays the direction and level of sound being picked up by the microphone, as well as the currently selected polar pattern.
Low NoiseThe microphone hardware has a self-noise level of 7dB-A SPL, well below most vintage microphones and comparable to many of the best modern microphones.
High SPL HandlingThe L22 can handle in excess of 140dB SPL before clipping and is remarkably rugged. It won't be damaged by high SPLs or air blasts as some vintage microphones can be.
Sphere -- How It WorksUsing a dual-capsule microphone with dual outputs makes it possible to more completely capture the soundfield -- including the directional and distance information otherwise lost with a conventional single-channel microphone. This allows the Sphere system to precisely reconstruct how different microphones respond to the soundfield.
In contrast, other microphone modeling technologies apply EQ to filter the sound from what is essentially a conventional microphone. This is fundamentally no different from using EQ to process a recorded track.
The Sphere L22 microphone modeling system comprises this precision dual-channel microphone, plus an audio plug-in for your DAW. The software plug-in does all of the DSP processing used to create the microphone models. Using a plug-in, instead of DSP processing built into the mic, has the major advantage of allowing the user to change all of the modeling settings, such as mic type and polar pattern, after the audio is recorded.
- Sphere L22 Microphone -- high precision, dual-capsule, large-diaphragm condenser studio microphone, which can be used with or without modeling
- Bundled Accessories
-- 10 Foot (3 Meter) Breakout Cable
-- Shock Mount
-- Swivel Mount
-- Hard Carrying Case
-- Plush Dust Cover
- Sphere Plug-in
-- Sphere Core plug-in -- accurately models a wide range of the most sought-after microphones in the world.
-- Re-Mic technology -- allows the user to change the mic type and polar pattern even after tracking.
-- Patented features -- including Off-Axis Correction, which can produce more accurate polar patterns for reduced bleed, room coloration, and feedback.
-- Supports a wide range of plug-in formats -- including UAD, VST2, VST3, Audio Units, and AAX Native on Mac and Windows. Voucher included for free UAD Sphere plug-in.
Microphone Models Included with the Sphere Plug-inLD-47K
- For many, the 47 is the ultimate vocal mic. Rumor has it that Frank Sinatra would not sing without his. The specimen we modeled is an original 47 with a fully brass K47 capsule with a mylar diaphragm and a VF-14 tube.
- Released in 1953 the C12 is another iconic mic which has a gorgeous high-end sheen and sparkle, due to the uniquely designed CK12 capsule. It's a great choice for lush, breathy vocals, without overly accentuating sibilance.
- The 67 is a very unique and wonderful mic that tends toward warm, yet without sounding dull. We modeled a mid-1960s version. It really shines on distorted guitar amps where it can reduce harshness while maintaining detail.
- Although the M49 used the same capsules as the U47, it has a number of "enhancements" which give it its iconic and distinctive sound. The center position on the pattern knob is approximately cardioid, but often the pattern was dialed in a little more exactly to get the best cardioid pattern possible. The model uses this "best" cardioid position.
- The Sphere Linear model provides ruler-flat frequency response from 20Hz to 20kHz, as well as an extremely smooth and well controlled off-axis response. A first of its kind, for a directional microphone.
Other Models Include
- LD-251, LD-800, LD-67 NOS, LD-87, LD-87 TK, LD-414 Brass, LD-414 Nylon, LD-414 US, LD-414 T2, SD-451, RB-4038, RB-77DX Satin, RB-77DX Umber, DN-57, DN-7,
zZounds is an authorized dealer of Townsend Labs products.
Sphere L22 Microphone
- Equivalent Noise Level: 7 dB-A
- Max SPL at 0.5% THD: 140dB (with -20dB pad engaged)
- Pad Attenuation: -10db and -20dB
- Sensitivity: 22 mV/Pa
- Output Connector: 5-pin male XLR
- Breakout Cable: 10' (3m) 5-pin female XLR to dual 3-pin male XLR
Weight (mic only): 1.7 lbs. (770 grams)
Dimensions (mic only): 8.9" x 2.5" (225mm x 63mm)
- Output Impedance: 200 Ohms
- Recommended Load Impedance: >1000 Ohms
- Phantom Power
- Voltage: 44 to 52 V per channel
- Current: 5 mA per channel typical, 8 mA at max SPL
- Sphere Core Plug-In
Supported Plug-in Formats:
- AAX Native
Audio Units (Mac only)
Supported Operating Systems:
- Native (AAX, VST and AU):
- Mac OSX 10.8.5 and above
- Windows 7 and above
- Apollo Interfaces and UAD-2 hardware (AAX, VST, AU, and RTAS)
- Mac OSX 10.9.5 and above
- Windows 7 and above
- 4 GB of RAM
- 200 MB free disk space
- 1024 x 768 display resolution
- Internet connection to download software
- Two microphone preamplifiers with phantom power
- Compatible plug-in host application (DAW) software supporting AAX, VST2, VST3, AU or UAD.
- Weight, Dimensions, and Manufacturer Part Numbers
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN):