Neumann KMS104 Handheld Cardioid Mic
Like the KMS 105 before it, the Neumann KMS 104 microphone was developed for optimal transmission of the human voice in demanding live applications.
- Cardioid polar pattern with excellent feedback rejection
- Excellent transparency for vocals/speech
- Without off-axis coloration
- Transformerless output
- Effective pop shielding without any side effects
- Includes stand clamp and padded bag
- Low self-noise and crosstalk behavior -- ideal for use with in-ear monitoring systems
- Vocals and speech on stage
- Announcer's mic for broadcasting/dubbing
- Especially suited for in-ear-monitoring
The KMS 104's microphone capsule has a cardioid directional characteristic, which provides the excellent suppression of sounds originating from behind the microphone. The high acoustic resolution and smooth frequency response of the microphones ensure that the musician has optimal control of the stage performance at all times.
The Neumann Sound on Stage
The studio condenser capsule used in the KMS 104 provides the basis for transmitting all the nuances of the human voice. In comparison with other handheld microphones, which operate mostly with dynamic capsules, the KMS series has a particularly high acoustic transparency, wide frequency range and a fine resolution of transients. Carefully adjusted acoustic filters and transformerless impedance converters that can handle very high sound pressure levels prevent the microphones from being overloaded even by strong plosive sounds.
Built-in High-Pass Filter Cuts Plosives
In spite of excellent pop protection, sibilants and "S" sounds are transmitted with their natural accentuation, as is possible only with condenser microphones. Furthermore, the above-mentioned acoustic filters are designed so that the distinctive directional characteristics of the capsules are preserved even in the bass range. Since vocal microphones are typically addressed at close range, for the bass frequency response of the microphones, electronic compensation is used for the proximity effect in the capsule. The KMS 104 has an invariable, built-in high-pass filter with a cutoff frequency of 120 Hz (3 dB, measured in a free sound field). The dynamic range of the KMS 104 is 132 dB, and the maximum sound pressure level is 150 dB.
The low self-noise level of only 18 dB-A permits both microphones to be used at high gain levels without the risk of additional noise. Even at large distances, the microphones thus operate with a high signal-to-noise ratio, facilitating the freedom of movement and creativity that are important to the artist. Due to the transformerless output circuit, the microphone signals can be transmitted even through long cables without loss of sound.
Sturdy Construction for the Stage
Microphones designed for use on stage require a particularly robust construction. The KMS 104 therefore has a thick-walled metal housing, which also provide effective protection against handling noise. The microphone headgrilles are made of hardened steel. If required, it can easily be unscrewed to permit cleaning of the interior acoustic filters.
zZounds is an authorized dealer of Neumann products.
- Acoustical operating principle: Pressure gradient transducer
- Directional pattern: Cardioid
- Frequency range: 20 Hz ... 20 kHz
- Sensitivity at 1 kHz into 1 kohm: 4.5 mV/Pa
- Rated impedance: 50 ohms
- Rated load impedance: 1000 ohms
- Equivalent noise level, CCIR1): 28 dB
- Equivalent noise level, A-weighted1): 18 dB-A
- Signal-to-noise ratio, CCIR1) (rel. 94 dB SPL): 66 dB
- Signal-to-noise ratio, A-weighted1) (rel. 94 dB SPL): 76 dB
- Maximum SPL for THD 0.5%2): 150 dB
- Maximum output voltage: 12 dBu
- Dyn. range of the mic. amplifier (A-weighted): 132 dB
- Supply voltage (P48, IEC 1938): 48 V +/- 4 V
- Current consumption (P48, IEC 1938): 3.5 mA
- Matching connector: XLR 3F
- Weight: approx. 300 g
- Diameter: 48 mm
- Length: 180 mm
1) According to IEC 60268-1; CCIR-weighting according to CCIR 468-3, quasi peak; A-weighting according to IEC 61672-1, RMS
2) Measured as equivalent el. input signal:
- Weight, Dimensions, and Manufacturer Part Numbers
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN):