Capture Vocals Like a Pro with this Workhorse Neumann Mic!
Go ahead, splurge a little and treat yourself to the Anniversary edition of the versatile Neumann TLM 103 microphone. What sets the Neumann TLM 103 Anniversary set apart from the standard TLM 103 offering is its accessories: it comes with a dedicated shock mount and lightweight aluminum case, instead of a stand mount and wooden box.
Ideal for capturing vocals (especially male vocals), voiceovers, acoustic guitars, and more, the affordable TLM 103 is a large-diaphragm cardioid condenser microphone featuring a transformerless circuit, low noise, high sound pressure level (SPL) handling, and a capsule based on the company's classic, significantly more expensive U87 mic capsule. A no-brainer choice for anyone wanting that Neumann sound without a high price tag, this large-diaphragm condenser mic will do the job for a range of applications, from home recording to professional broadcasting and commercial recording studio use.
A Versatile Performance Mic
The TLM 103 boasts a large-diaphragm capsule with a fixed cardioid pattern that draws in sound at the front of the microphone and rejects sound from the rear. When capturing vocals, recording instruments like the acoustic guitar, doing interviews, and so forth, a cardioid mic is often the way to go. With this Neumann microphone, off-axis sounds are rendered naturally while isolation is increased.
Looks and Sounds Like a Neumann
Its K 103 large-diaphragm capsule, based on the K 87 from the company's U 67 and U 87 microphones, has a flat frequency response up to about 4 kHz, and above that, a wide flat 4 dB presence boost. So that you know it's a Neumann, the TLM 103 is addressed from the front and is marked with the red Neumann logo on the body of the microphone.
Look Ma, No Noise!
This mic features a very low self-noise level (7 dB-A / 17.5 dB CCIR), making it possible for even the smallest signals to be reproduced basically noise-free. Able to handle SPL up to 138 dB without distortion, the TLM 103 boasts a dynamic range of 131 dB.
The microphone keeps plosives, pops, and other unwanted noises in check, thanks to its large wire mesh headgrille, which protects the capsule. To further prevent noise from interfering with the mic's performance, the TLM 103's entire internal construction is elastically mounted. What's more, the capsule is set on an elastic mount.
Since its frequency range actually reaches below 20 Hz, the lowest of low bass signals are reproduced without coloration. It's because of this low frequency extension that the TLM 103 is more sensitive to structure-borne interference and wind noise.
TLM Technology for Optimal Operation
The "TLM" in the mic's name is short for "transformerless microphone." Transformerless means that the microphone's usual output transformer is replaced by an electronic circuit. Neumann notes that as with traditional transformers, TLM technology ensures good common mode rejection and prevents RF interference that may influence the balanced audio signal.
- Large-diaphragm cardioid condenser microphone ideal for capturing vocals (especially male vocals!), speech, and acoustic instruments
- Pressure gradient transducer with single-diaphragm capsule
- Elastically mounted to prevent additional noise
- Transformerless circuitry for a clean, balanced audio signal
- Extremely low noise of 7 dB-A for nearly noise-free operation
- Frequency range of 20 Hz to 20 kHz and max SPL of 138 dB
- Large wire mesh headgrille protects capsule from pops and plosives
- An affordable, capable mic for home recording and professional studios alike
- Includes shock mount and aluminum case
The TLM 103 offers highly detailed, accurate sound and superior impulse response, allowing it to reproduce your music and vocals without any noticeable coloration. Professional design and quality details make this Neumann mic an incredible value for the price.
zZounds is an authorized dealer of Neumann products.
- Acoustical Operating Principle: Pressure gradient transducer
- Directional Pattern: Cardioid
- Frequency range: 20 Hz-20 kHz
- Sensitivity at 1 kHz into 1 kohm: 21 mV/Pa
- Rated impedance: 50 ohms
- Rated load impedance: 1000 ohms
- Equivalent SPL CCIR 468-3: 17.5 dB
- Equivalent SPL DIN/IEC 651: 7 dB-A
- S/N ratio CCIR 468-3: 76.5 dB
- S/N ratio DIN/IEC 651: 87 dB
- Maximum SPL for THD 0.5%: 138 dB
- Maximum output voltage: 13 dBu
- Dyn. range of the mic. amplifier DIN/IEC 651: 131 dB
- Supply voltage: 48 V +/- 4 V
- Current consumption: 3 mA
- Matching connector: XLR 3F
- Weight: approx. 500 g
- Diameter: 60 mm
- Length: 132 mm
- Weight, Dimensions, and Manufacturer Part Numbers
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN):
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN):