Korg Volca FM Digital Synthesizer
The volca series has shed new light on classic technologies by linking classic sound engines such as the groove machines and early samplers of the past with the dance music of today. Now it's time for the series to gain an FM sound engine.
The volca fm is a three-voice digital FM synthesizer that completely reproduces the sound engine of a classic FM synthesizer, and provides compatibility with it as well. The unique volca interface makes it easy to manipulate distinctive FM sounds even if you're not familiar with the complexities of FM synthesis.
The 16-step sequencer that's one of volca's features provides new functions such as WARP ACTIVE STEP and PATTERN CHAIN that let you make even more powerful rhythm patterns.
True FM Synthesis
The appearance of FM (Frequency Modulation) sound generation was a major turning point in the history of synthesizers. Its metallic and sharp sounds, most notably electric piano and synth bass, have been loved by all music creators since 1980 up to the present time. The volca fm perfectly reproduces the sound engine of the classic digital synthesizer that made the world aware of FM synthesis. Its six operators and 32 algorithms provide complete compatibility, and it can even load files in the SYS-EX/SYX format of the Yamaha DX7.
Super-easy Sound Editing
The volca fm makes FM sound editing accessible with the MODULATOR/CARRIER super-easy edit knobs - the knob movements are mapped to multiple parameters for sound changes that are easy to understand. FM enthusiasts can also menu dive into full parameter edits. The volca fm comes accompanied with a Parameter List Guide to assist this.
Onboard CHORUS Effect
Along with a perfect reproduction of the sound engine, the volca fm is also equipped with a lush chorus effect to add depth to your sounds and further expand its sound-creating potential.
16-step Sequencer Allows to Automate Each Parameters
There's a loop sequencer with up to 16 steps, allowing you to record your performance on the touch panel keyboard just as you play. It's easy to create phrases that come to mind. Up to sixteen sequence patterns can be stored in internal memory. And the motion sequence function records your knob movements, letting you add time-varying change to the sound. This is great way to polish your loops, and also lets you generate highly original live performances.
WARP ACTIVE STEP, ARPEGGIATOR and PATTERN CHAIN
In addition to the active step function that lets you skip steps during a sequence, the volca fm provides new functions that enable you to generate more irregular rhythms. If the active step is fewer than 16 steps, you can use the warp active step function to compensate to occupy the same playback time as 16 steps; then by synchronizing the playback with another volca series unit, you can deliberately skew the step timing to generate truly unconventional performances. In a first for the volca series, the volca fm is also equipped with an arpeggiator. By using this in conjunction with a motion sequence you can create extremely eccentric rhythm patterns.
- 3-voice polyphonic FM synthesizer, fully compatible with classic unit
- Super-easy sound editing
- Onboard CHORUS effect
Volca-style sequencing and more
- 16-step sequencer allows to automate each parameters
- WARP ACTIVE STEP, ARPEGGIATOR and PATTERN CHAIN make crazy looping rhythms and patterns
- Make clone by synchronizing two units of volca fm
- Compact size, battery operation, and built-in speaker
NOTE: Power supply not included.
zZounds is an authorized dealer of Korg products.
- Keyboard: Multi touch keyboard
- Type: FM synthesis
- Maximum Polyphony: 3 voices
- Structure: 6 operators, 32 algorithms
- Number of Programs: 32
- Main Edits: Modulator (Attack, Decay), Carrier (Attack, Decay), LFO (Rate, P.Depth), Algrtm Available to edit full parameters for each operator in Edit Mode
- Controls: Transpose, Velocity, Octave, Arp (Type, Div)
- Arpeggiator Types: 9 (each 3 patterns of "Rise", "Fall", and "Random")
- Voice Modes: Poly, Mono, Unison
- Effect: Chorus
- Number of Parts: 1
- Number of Steps: 16
- Number of Recording Patterns: 16
- Controls: Motion Sequence, Active Step, Warp Active Step, Pattern Chain, Metronome
- Audio Output: Headphones (3.5mm stereo mini jack)
- Sync: Sync In (3.5mm monaural mini jack, Maximum input level: 20V) Sync Out (3.5mm monaural mini jack, Output level: 5V)
- When two units of volca fm, available to export the sound programs and sequence data from a volca fm to the other one
- MIDI: In
- Available to convert and load SYS-EX/SYX file created on the Yamaha DX7
- Power Supply: AA alkaline battery x 6 or AA nickel-metal hydride battery x 6 Or AC adapter (DC 9V) (optional)
- Battery Life: Approximately 10 hours (using alkaline batteries)
- Dimensions (W x D x H): 193 x 115 x 40 mm / 7.60" x 4.53" x 1.57"
- Weight: 360 g / 12.70 oz. (Excluding batteries)
- Included Items: AA alkaline battery x 6 (for verifying operation), Sync Cable, Edit Parameter List
- Accessories: AC adapter (DC 9V) KA-350
- All product, company, and standard names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.
- Appearance and specifications of products are subject to change without notice.
- Weight, Dimensions, and Manufacturer Part Numbers
- Base Item
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN):
- Warehouse Resealed
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN):