The EarthQuaker Devices Pyramids is a stereo flanging Device with five presets, eight flanger modes, tap tempo, tap subdivision via the Rate & Tap mini-toggle, a multifunction Modify control, positive and negative Feedback, and a variable Mix control, which is something you don't see on a flanger every day.
Pyramids has six knobs, three switches, two footswitches, and five jacks. The knobs are Manual, Rate, Width, Mix, Feedback, and Modify.
Learn what secrets are buried within the Pyramids in our exclusive video:
- Manual: Controls the delay time of the modulated signal. Turn it clockwise for a shorter delay time and a higher-pitched flange sound. Turn it counter clockwise for longer delay times and a lower-pitched flange sound. This parameter may be controlled by an expression pedal. When using an expression pedal, the Manual control is defeated. Pyramids' Manual control may also be modulated by a CV source delivering 0-3V.
- Rate: Controls the speed of the LFO. Turn it up for faster modulation or turn it down for slower modulation. The rate control has three ranges of operation: Slow, Medium and Fast. These modes are selected by the Rate & Tap toggle switch.
- Width: Controls the frequency range of the LFO sweep. You might also think of it as a depth control for the LFO.
- Feedback: Regeneration control for the modulated signal. There is a center-detent for zero feedback. Increasing this control from noon introduces positive feedback for a…
lush "whooshing" sound. Decreasing this control from noon produces negative feedback, which has a hollowed-out tubular sound.
- Modify: The behavior of this control depends upon which mode you're using.
Pyramids Modes- Classic: Tone control for the modulated signal. Clockwise from center is a high pass filter. That means it cuts the low end and allows the high frequencies to pass through. Counterclockwise from center is a low pass filter. That means it cuts the high end and allows bass frequencies to pass through.
- Through-Zero: Delay time for the unmodulated dry signal. This controls where in the LFO cycle the through-zero point occurs, which is where you'll hear the most drastic cancellation. In Through-Zero mode, clockwise Modify settings lower the frequency of the cancellation. Counterclockwise Modify settings produce higher frequency cancellation. This is probably backwards from what you'd expect, but let's roll with it.
- Barber Pole Up: Tone control for the modulated signal. Clockwise from center is a high pass filter. Counterclockwise from center is a low pass filter.
- Barber Pole Down: Tone control for the modulated signal. Clockwise from center is a high pass filter. Counterclockwise from center is a low pass filter.
- Trigger Up: Sensitivity control for the sweep. This controls how quickly the re-triggering reacts to your pick attack. Clockwise is higher sensitivity, counterclockwise is lower sensitivity.
- Trigger Down: Sensitivity control for the sweep. This controls how quickly the re-triggering reacts to your pick attack. Clockwise is higher sensitivity, counterclockwise is lower sensitivity.
- Step: Adjusts the glide between steps. Low Modify settings produce sharp, stair-stepped
transitions between steps. Higher Modify settings introduce a smoother glissando effect.
- Random: Adjusts the glide between steps. Low Modify settings produce sharp, stair-stepped transitions between steps. Higher Modify settings introduce a smoother glissando effect.
Features:- True-Stereo flanging device built upon the same groundbreaking proprietary DSP architecture as the massively popular Avalanche Run
- Five user-definable presets; a first for any EarthQuaker Devices pedal!
- Tap tempo
- Tap tempo subdivision via the Rate & Tap mini-toggle
- Multifunction Modify control
- Variable Mix control; a rarity on a flanger pedal
- True bypass
- All-analog dry signal path
- All-digital wet signal path
- Lifetime guarantee
- Positive and Negative feedback
- Positive feedback creates a lush "whooshing" effect
- Negative feedback has a "hollowed-out," "tubular" sound
- Eight flanger modes
- Barber Pole Up
- Barber Pole Down
- Trigger Up
- Trigger Down
- Expression control over "Manual" control available in all modes
- Side Chain Flanging allows the effect to be triggered by an external control source in Trigger Up and Trigger Down modes
- Stereo inputs and outputs for flexible routing
- Mono in / Mono out
- Mono in / Stereo out
- Stereo in / Stereo out
- "Activate" footswitch features EarthQuaker Devices' exclusive Flexi-Switch technology
- For standard latching operation, tap the footswitch to activate the effect and tap again to bypass.
- For momentary operation, simply hold down the footswitch for as long as you'd like to use the effect. Release the footswitch to bypass.