There's a reason why Shure microphones are the industry standard for live performance situations. If you've ever sung onstage, chances are you've sung into a Shure mic -- and chances are, it worked exactly the way it was supposed to. Leave it to Shure to create the Beta 87A: a handheld vocal condenser microphone that delivers a big step up in sound quality, without compromising the ruggedness that makes Shure mics indispensable in live situations.
Studio Condenser Sound -- On Stage
Condenser microphones, with their delicately suspended diaphragms, are generally excellent at picking up every nuance of a given source. Their crisp, clear high-frequency response makes for airy, detailed vocal recordings. In the controlled environment of the recording studio, studio engineers surround these delicate instruments with shock-mounts and pop filters before carefully hanging them in front of a vocalist. But what about in a live situation? Enter the Shure Beta 87A. With its three-stage pop filter and cartridge shock mount built right into the mic, this is one condenser mic tough enough to actually hold in your hand. The sound you get from a Shure studio condenser can now join you on stage.
Supercardioid: Superior Feedback Control
As every sound-reinforcement pro knows, feedback occurs when a microphone starts to pick up its own reproduced sound coming back through the speakers. In a performance situation, with vocalists (and microphones) directly in front of loud stage monitors, avoiding feedback is a constant concern. Since most condenser mics "reach" farther than their dynamic-mic cousins, they are generally prone to feedback onstage. Not so with the Beta 87A. Its tight supercardioid pickup pattern has much better off-axis rejection than just a mere cardioid. That means it picks up the vocalist in front of it, not the sound from the stage monitors to its sides and rear -- and that translates to higher gain before feedback.
Ideal for Solo or Group Vocals
In addition to suppressing feedback, the Beta 87A's narrow pickup pattern is ideal for picking up an individual voice in a multi-microphone setting. Need to reinforce small group vocals? Give each singer her own 87A to give the mix engineer better control over the group's balance. Singing solo for an acoustic gig? This mic's supercardioid pattern will allows you to "work" the mic, picking up amazing detail even several inches away and adding extra warmth when you croon up close. And if you're singing in an aggressive rock band where your vocal tends to get buried, try this clear, crisp stage condenser to help your voice cut through the mix. No matter the situation, this mic is a top choice of pro vocalists who demand studio-quality vocal reproduction in a live-performance situation.
- 50 to 20,000 Hz frequency response, tailored to accentuate vocals with gradual presence rise and classic Shure high-frequency bump
- Supercardioid pickup pattern at all frequencies for maximum gain before feedback and superior off-axis rejection
- Built-in 3-stage pop filter reduces plosive "P-pops"
zZounds is an authorized dealer of
- Cartridge Type: Condenser (electret bias)
- Frequency Response: 50 to 20,000 Hz
- Polar Pattern: Supercardioid
- Output Impedance: Rated at 150 ohms (100 ohms actual +/-20%)
- Recommended minimum load impedance: 800 ohms
- Sensitivity (at 1,000 Hz): Open Circuit Voltage 54 dBV/Pa (2 mV) (1 Pa = 94 dB SPL)
- Clipping Level (at 1,000 Hz): 1000 ohm Load 6 dBV (0.5 V)
- Power Maximum SPL (at 1,000 Hz): 142 dB (0.25% THD, 1000 ohm load)
- Self-Noise (equivalent sound pressure level; measured with true rms voltmeter): 25 dB typical, A-weighted, 27 dB typical, weighted per DIN 45 405
- Dynamic Range: 117 dB (maximum SPL to A-weighted noise level)
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 69 dB at 94 dB SPL (IEC 651)*
- Polarity: Positive pressure on diaphragm produces positive voltage on pin 2 relative to pin 3
- Power: Phantom Supply Requirement 11 to 52 Vdc, positive at both pins 2 and 3
- Current Drain 1.0 to 1.2 mA
- Connector: 3-pin (XLR) professional audio
- Case: Aluminum construction with Blue Metallic finish, and hardened steel grille with nickel satin chrome plating
- Net Weight: 200 g (7 oz.)
- Dimensions and Weight in Packaging
- Base Item
- Shipping Weight: 1 lbs
- with Tripod Boom Stand and Mic Cable (18.5 Foot)
- Shipping Weight: 8 lbs
If you have additional warranty questions,
please contact the manufacturer at 800-25-SHURE
The Beta 87 has consistently been a top choice of performers and audio technicians around the world due to its superb accuracy and detail, and rich vocal production.
In response to user requests, Shure has redesigned this microphone by just slightly thickening the handle for a more comfortable feel when hand-held. In addition, the Beta 87A now includes the A25D break-resistant swivel adapter.
The Beta 87A condenser microphone leads the field for studio-quality sound in live performance vocals.
Smooth, tailored frequency response provides detail, accuracy, and warmth for vocals
Extremely accurate supercardioid pattern at all frequencies provides the highest gain-before-feedback
3-stage pop filter minimizes breath pop and noise
Break-resistant stand adapter
Frequency response: 50 to 20,000 Hz