Zoom Q8 Handy Video Recorder
The Zoom Q8 marries high-definition video with high-resolution audio, making it the perfect camera for music and video creators everywhere. Its 160 degree wide-angle lens and digital zoom ensure that you'll always capture the complete picture. Combine that with ZOOM's groundbreaking interchangeable mic capsule system and two XLR/TRS combo inputs for a world of options.
We took the Zoom Q8 camera and Zoom H6 recorder to the streets to make this video:
Full range, crystal clarity.
The Q8 delivers that same great Zoom sound quality you'll find in all of our products, with support for high-resolution 24-bit/96kHz audio. It comes with a high-quality detachable X/Y microphone or you can connect different Zoom mic capsules.
A low-cut filter and foam windscreen allow you to eliminate low-frequency noise and rumble, and there are three Auto Gain settings, as well as a built-in compressor and limiter. Audio can be recorded along with video, or the Q8 can be used as a standalone stereo or four-channel audio-only recorder.
Go beyond High Definition.
The Q8 goes beyond standard HD, offering 3M HD (2304 x 1296 pixels @ 30fps /24mbps) as well as two kinds of HD (24mbps and 16mbps for increased storage capability) at frame rates of up to 60 fps at 720p for capturing fast action video.
Its F2.0 aperture / 160* wide-angle lens ensures that you'll capture every moment with full realism and sharp definition. Three "Scene" presets allow you to use the Q8 in a variety of different lighting conditions. And support for both standard and HD video file formats assures that you'll have plenty of options when it comes to storage and streaming.
Change your point of view.
Need a different POV? The Q8's got you covered. Not only can it be attached to any standard tripod, it comes with a tripod-to-three-prong converter, so you can use it with every kind of action camera mount, too.
Take your Q8 onstage and mount it to your mic stand, amp, or drum kit. Shoot video from front row center and use the supplied stereo X/Y microphone to capture the audience experience. Or use the Q8 at the mixing position and record the feed from the board, as well as the sound of the room. Use multiple Q8s for a dramatic mix of different angles -- the full-color touchscreen LCD is fully rotatable so you can always view your image regardless of camera positioning.
Connectivity, power to spare, and selectable file formats.
A built-in USB port enables live streaming and allows the Q8 to be used as a webcam or USB microphone. It also allows connection with other equipment and computer software -- even an iPad* -- for post-production capability.
The supplied lithium-ion battery that powers the Q8 can be recharged easily in the studio or in the field, using either an optional AC adapter or via USB. Battery life is more than two hours when shooting at 720p/30fps. In audio recording-only mode, battery life is extended further still.
The Q8 records directly to SD, SDHC, and SDXC cards, up to 128GB. Video is stored in MOV file format, with various HD settings for maximum video quality, or you can shoot in standard definition (SVGA) when space or streaming bandwidth is at a premium. Recorded audio can be integrated directly into the MOV file, or audio can be saved separately from the video data.
- Records directly to SD, SDHC, and SDXC cards, up to 128GB
- High-quality 160* wide-angle lens with selectable viewing angles (F2.0/16.6mm)
- Uses a system of interchangeable microphone capsules that can be swapped out as easily as the lens of a camera
- Supplied detachable stereo X/Y microphone (XYQ-8)
- Compatible with most Zoom microphone capsules (sold separately); not compatible with EXH-6 TRS/XLR Combo Input Capsule
- Full-color rotating LCD touchscreen
- Support for five HD video modes, up to 2304 x 1296 pixels (3M HD), as well as two WVGA modes
- Frame rates of up to 60fps for capturing fast action video and slow motion playback
- Three imaging sense options (AUTO/CONCERT/NIGHT) for use in all lighting environments
- 4x digital zoom
- Records video in MOV format (with or without audio)
- Records audio in AAC and WAV formats, up to 24-bit/96k
- Up to four tracks of simultaneous audio recording
- Two mic/line inputs with XLR/TRS combo connectors, each with selectable phantom power and -20dB pad
- Analog-style gain controls for each input
- Built-in audio mixer
- Stereo link function
- Auto-Gain control, plus built-in compressor and limiter
- Supplied foam windscreen and low-cut filter for the elimination of low-frequency noise and rumble
- Dedicated Headphone output/Line out
- Built-in speaker for fast monitoring
- HDMI video output for connection to HDTVs, selectable between NTSC and PAL
- USB interface for live streaming and data transfer to and from computer editing software
- Webcam and USB mic function for use with external devices such as computers and iPads
- Direct monitoring for zero latency during use as a USB mic
- Compatible with USTREAM Producer, Flash Live Media Encoder, Skype, and other popular streaming applications
- SD card reader function
- Rechargeable Li-ion battery (chargeable via USB or optional AC adapter)
- Battery life of more than 2 hours
- Built-in standard tripod mount
- Includes tripod-to-three-prong converter for compatibility with all action camera mounts
zZounds is an authorized dealer of Zoom products.
- Accessories: Detachable stereo X/Y microphone capsule (XYQ-8), Foam windscreen, Rechargeable Li-ion battery, USB cable (50 cm), Tripod to three-prong action camera mount adapter, Lens cover, Lens hood, Strap, Operation manual
- Recording media: SD/SDHC/SDXC cards (up to 128GB)
- Image sensor: 1/3-inch 3-megapixel CMOS sensor
- Lens: Fixed focus (36cm - ()()) F2.0, focal distance approx. 16.6 mm (35mm equivalent)
- Video format: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 (MOV)Video resolutions:
- 3M HD (2304 x 1296 pixels) 30fps
- HD (1080 pixels) 30fps
- HD (720 pixels) 60fps
- HD (720 pixels) 30fps
- WVGA 60fps
- WVGA 30fps
- Audio formats: WAV (16/24-bit quantization, 44.1/48/96kHz sampling frequency), AAC (64-320kbps bit rate, 48kHz sampling
- Audio functions: Low-cut filter, Auto Gain (Concert/Solo/Meeting), compressor, limiterImage functions:
- Digital zoom (1.0x-4.0x)
- Scene selection (Auto/Concert Lighting/Night)
- Self timer (Off, 3 seconds, 5 seconds, 10 seconds)
- Display: 2.7" full-color LCD touchscreen
- Built-in speaker: 400mW 8 Ohm mono speaker
- L/R inputs:
- X/Y mic (XYQ-8) Inputs: 120* X/Y stereo format
- Maximum sound pressure input: 140 dB SPL
- Input gain: ()() to +52 dB
- Equivalent input noise: 120 dBu or less
- INPUT 1/2 Input connectors: TRS/XLR combo jacks
- Input gain (PAD OFF): ()() to 55 dB
- Input gain (PAD ON): ()() to 35 dB
- Input impedance: 1.8 k Ohm or more
- Maximum input level: +22 dBu (PAD ON)
- Phantom power: +12/+24/+48V (Global for INPUT 1 and 2)
- Equivalent input noise: 120 dBu or less
- Output connectors: Combined line/headphones stereo mini-jack Type D micro HDMI
- USB Connector: USB Mini B type
- Operation as mass storage: Class: USB 2.0 High Speed
- Operation as audio interface: Class: USB 1.0 Full Speed
- Operation as webcam: WVGA/720p video size, 48kHz 16-bit audio
- Weight, Dimensions, and Manufacturer Part Numbers
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN):