Shure KSM-44A Multi-Pattern Microphone
The Shure KSM44/SL is a multiple pattern (cardioid, omnidirectional, bidirectional), externally biased, dual large-diaphragm condenser microphone with extremely low self-noise (7dB). Developed to meet the needs of studio recording musicians, the warm, rich sound of the KSM44 delivers exceptional performance, tailored to deliver vivid reproduction of voice for the most critical recordings.
- Dual 1-inch, externally biased, ultra-thin, 2.5 micron, 24-karat gold-layered, low mass, Mylar diaphragms provide superior transient response
- Class A, discrete, transformerless preamplifier for transparency, extremely fast transient response, no crossover distortion; minimizes harmonic and intermodulation distortions
- Full-range frequency response (20 Hz - 20 KHz) for an extremely accurate reproduction of voice and instruments
- Extremely low self noise (7 dBA) for critical studio vocal recording
- Premium electronic components and gold-plated internal and external connectors
- Subsonic filter eliminates rumble from mechanical vibration below 17 Hz
- 15 dB attenuation switch for handling high input SPL sound sources
- 3-position switchable low-frequency filter virtually eliminates unwanted background noise
- Durable zinc die-cast housing and hardened low carbon steel grille to protect cartridge from accidental drops
- Uniform polar response provides natural off-axis response for critical recording
- Integrated three-stage pop protection grille to guard against wind and breath noise
- Internal shock mount to reduce unwanted handling and stand noise
- Extended frequency response
- Very low self-noise
- Exceptional low-frequency reproduction
- High output level
- High input SPL capability
- No cross-over distortion
- Extremely uniform polar response
- Superior common mode rejection and suppression of radio frequency interference
The KSM44 also offers great flexibility in a variety of recording applications, working well on acoustic and amplified instruments, as its capacity for managing high SPLs accommodates loud sound sources such as drums and guitar amplifiers.
Shure KSM44 Common Applications
The KSM44/SL is designed as a premium vocal microphone for studio recording. Microphone use, however, is a matter of personal taste. Here is a non-exhaustive list of common applications:
- Vocals -- solo, background, voiceover
- Acoustic instruments -- such as piano, guitar, drums, percussion, strings
- Wind instruments -- brass and woodwind
- Low frequency instruments -- such as double bass, electric bass, kick drum
- Overhead miking -- drums or percussion
- Ensembles -- choral or orchestral Room ambiance -- guitar amplifier or drums
Both the acoustic environment and microphone placement have significant effects on the sound obtained when miking any sound source. Shure encourage users to experiment with these variables to achieve the best overall sound.
zZounds is an authorized dealer of Shure products.