Boss Katana-50 Guitar Combo Amplifier
Crafted Tones, Forged for Rock
With 50 watts of power and a custom 12-inch speaker, the Katana-50 delivers a commanding range of gig-worthy tones that gracefully slice through any band scenario. The amp also excels for home playing, with a uniquely efficient design and innovative Power Control that provides inspiring sound and response at low volumes. In addition, the Katana-50 includes integrated access to a huge range of BOSS effects, which are customizable using the free BOSS Tone Studio editor software. And with the amp's powerful Tone Setting memories, you can store your favorite amp channel setups and effects combinations for instant recall.
Katana Version 3: Added Effect Types, New Real-Time Control Assignments, and Stereo Effects When Recording via USB
The Katana Version 3 update enhances the stage-class Katana amp lineup with even more performance versatility. Effect types include the legendary Roland DC-30 Analog Chorus-Echo, classic BOSS GE-10 Graphic Equalizer, and expressive 95E pedal wah, providing iconic tones that perfectly match the Katana’s Brown amp character. In addition, BOSS Tone Studio offers the ability to assign favorite parameters for quick-access control from the front-panel effects knobs and create custom control assignments for up to three connected expression pedals. And when tracking in a DAW via USB, it’s now possible to capture true stereo sound with many of the Katana’s modulation, EQ, delay, and reverb effects. Katana Version 3 is a free, user-installable update for all Katana owners.
Katana-50 Main Features:
- Stage-ready 50-watt combo amp with a custom 12-inch speaker
- Five unique amp characters: Clean, Crunch, Lead, Brown (derived from the Waza amp), and Acoustic (for acoustic-electric guitars)
- Choose from a huge selection of customizable effects and effect routing configurations with the BOSS Tone Studio editor software
- Dedicated gain, EQ, and effects controls for adjusting sounds quickly
- Tone Setting memories for storing and recalling all amp and effect settings
- Power Control for achieving cranked-amp tone and dynamic response at low volumes
- Built-in tilt stand for optimal monitoring and sound projection
- Pro setups available at BOSS Tone Central
Katana Version 2 Added Features:
- Tone Setting memories increased from two to four (two banks of two)
- Access to 58 total effects (SDE-3000 delay, Phaser 90E, and Flanger 117E types added)
- Full-time channel and global parametric EQs for refined tone shaping
- Three Cabinet Resonance types adjust the interaction between the amp's output section and speaker, enabling you to fine-tune the feel and tone of the amp
- Cabinet simulation on the line, USB, and phones/recording outputs enhanced with three Air Feel settings for adding depth and dimension to direct tones
- Reverb section supports delay and delay-plus-reverb in addition to reverb only
About the Katana Amp Series
Katana -- the traditional sword carried by the historic samurai of Japan -- is a symbol of honor, precision, and artistry in Japanese culture. Adopting the majestic sword's name with pride, the Katana series presents guitar amplifiers with smooth, cutting tones honed by generations of dedication and expertise. Born of the development process behind the acclaimed Waza amplifier, these innovative amps embody BOSS's determined pursuit of the ultimate rock sound. Featuring proprietary circuit designs and meticulous tuning, the Katana series combines traditional craftsmanship and breakthrough functions to produce true next-generation rock amplifiers.
A Refined Amp with Inspiring Tone
Designed for guitarists who are serious about their sound, the Katana-50 offers exceptional tone and touch response for stage playing, recording, and simply practicing at home. A standout characteristic of every Katana amp is the dynamic interaction between its output section and the speaker, which provides the ultra-responsive musical experience that players crave. The Version 2 update adds an expressive Cabinet Resonance function derived from the flagship Waza amps, which allows you to customize this interaction for your touch with three resonance types. Delivering class-defying power, authoritative punch, and cutting presence that stands shoulder-to-shoulder with high-end amp designs, the Katana-50 is ready to meet the needs of any playing situation.
Five Original Amp Characters, Honed for Rock Playing
Sharpened to perfection by the BOSS engineering team, the Katana-50's five amp characters offer everything from organic vintage tones to modern high-gain sounds. Clean is natural and transparent, while Crunch offers satisfying grit and response. Lead has a wide gain range to suit many styles, from fat, stinging blues solos to fluid legato shredding. With DNA inherited from the Waza amp, Brown delivers refined high-gain tone sought after by the world's greatest rock players. The Acoustic character further enhances the Katana's versatility, providing optimized tone that makes acoustic-electric guitars sound stunningly natural.
Leave Your Pedalboard at Home
With its built-in BOSS effects, the Katana-50 lets you perform anywhere with just a guitar and amp. Connecting to BOSS Tone Studio via USB provides access to 58 fully-customizable effects, and you can load your favorites into the amp's various effects sections. Going beyond standard distortion, delay, and reverb, the selection includes powerful tone-shapers like pitch shifting, ring mod, slicer, and many more. Added in Version 2, the SDE-3000 delay, Phaser 90E, and Flanger 117E effects provide classic sounds that are a perfect match for the Katana's Brown channel tones. Another feature is the enhanced Reverb section, which now supports delay and delay-plus-reverb in addition to reverb alone.
Tone Settings: One-Touch Recall of Custom Amp and Effects Setups
One of the Katana-50's most powerful features is the ability to store favorite amp channel and effects setups in Tone Setting memories for instant recall. The Version 2 update adds a second bank of Tone Settings, doubling the number of available memories from two to four. Combined with the added channel and global parametric EQs (configurable in BOSS Tone Studio), this elevates the Katana-50's performance versatility to even higher levels. It's easy to select Tone Settings and switch between the two banks from a panel button, or via an optional external footswitch for hands-free control on the gig.
While the Katana-50 includes many advanced features, it's amazingly simple to operate. Familiar knobs for gain and three-band EQ let you quickly dial in your tone, just as you would with any standard amp. Essential effects parameters are adjusted with a simple knob twist, and Tone Settings can be stored with a brief button hold. And with the convenient Power Control, you can roll back the volume for small stages and home playing while retaining the expressive tone and feel of a cranked-up amp. The Katana-50 also features USB and phones/recording outputs with cabinet simulation, allowing you to send mic'd up amp tones to a computer DAW, recorder, or headphones for quiet practice. Version 2 further enhances this capability with three Air Feel settings derived from the flagship Waza amps.
BOSS Tone Central
At the BOSS TONE CENTRAL website, you'll find numerous free amp and effects setups for the Katana series. Created by pro guitarists, these setups provide ready-to-play sounds for various music styles, and also make great starting points for building your own sounds. They load into the memories in a Katana amp via the BOSS Tone Studio editor software, which is also available at the site. In addition to Katana effects selection and customization, BOSS Tone Studio gives you a convenient way to organize all your Katana setups for different gigs, recordings, and practice sessions.
zZounds is an authorized dealer of Boss products.
- Rated Power Output: 50 WNominal Input Level:
- INPUT: -10 dBu (1 M ohm)
- AUX IN: -10 dBu
- Speaker: 12" x 1Controls:
- POWER switch
- MASTER knob
- POWER CONTROL switch (STANDBY, 0.5 W, 25 W, 50 W)Amplifier:
- AMP TYPE switch (ACOUSTIC, CLEAN, CRUNCH, LEAD, BROWN)
- GAIN knob
- VOLUME knobEqualizer:
- BASS knob
- MIDDLE knob
- TREBLE knobMulti-effect:
- BOOSTER/MOD button
- DELAY/FX button
- REVERB button
- TAP button
- BOOSTER/MOD knob
- DELAY/FX knob
- REVERB knobTone Setting:
- CH1 button
- CH2 button
- PANEL buttonIndicators:
- INPUT jack: 1/4-inch phone type
- AUX IN jack: Stereo miniature phone type
- REC OUT/PHONES jack: Stereo 1/4-inch phone type
- EXP PEDAL/CTL CH1/CH2 jack: 1/4-inch TRS phone type
- USB port: USB B type
- AC IN jack
- Power Consumption: 47 W
- Dimensions: 18-9/16" (W) x 9-3/8" (D) x 15-11/16" (H)
- Weight: 11.6 kg (25 lbs 10 oz)Accessories:
- Owner's manual
- Power cordOptions (sold separately):
- Footswitch: BOSS FS-5L
- Expression pedal: Roland EV-5, BOSS FV-500L, BOSS FV-500H
* 0dBu=0.775 Vrms
- Weight, Dimensions, and Manufacturer Part Numbers
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN):