The Novation Peak is an eight-voice desktop polyphonic synthesizer with three New Oxford Oscillators for each voice. The oscillators sound completely analogue by being high-quality NCOs (Numerically-Controlled Oscillators), but gain the flexibility of the digital domain with 17 digital wavetables. They can also become a linear FM source using either the analogue-sounding NCOs or digital wavetables -- so are able to cross-modulate in an recursive loop.
Get an overview of Peak in this video from Novation:
Watch as Peak recreates the famous sounds of Vangelis' "Blade Runner" film score:
The synth has a resonant multi-mode analogue filter for each voice, and three distortion points for each voice -- pre-filter, post-filter and global -- in an analogue signal chain. Peak is capable of receiving polyphonic aftertouch, which puts expression right at your fingertips. Reverb, delay and chorus effects are at one's disposal, and there is also an on-board arpeggiator.
The modulation system puts a 16-slot modulation matrix and 16 direct assignments in the main controls, cleverly arranged for intuitive patch design and sound editing. There are three ADSR envelopes and two LFOs for each voice, and more elaborate movements and secondary 'via' assignments are made just a few menu button presses away. In addition, two animate buttons give live performers instant one-touch transformation of patches.
See how you can play a sequence into Peak from Ableton Live in this video:…
Peak connects to modular systems via a CV modulation input, and has MIDI I/O on five-pin DIN ports, so other MIDI gear can be connected. Via USB, Peak can be plugged into Mac or PC, where unlimited patches can be kept using the Components software.
Novation Wavetable EditorThe Wavetable Editor unleashes the power of the wavetable oscillators. It features drawing tools and a Live Edit mode, so you can draw your own oscillator shapes and preview them in real time. Audio import lets you load in your own audio to be used as the oscillator waveform. Included is a curated selection of space-themed audio from the NASA sound library, plus exclusive content from production giants Noisia.
Features:- Innovative New Oxford Oscillators using two waveform generating techniques: NCOs (Numerically-Controlled Oscillators) and 17 digital wavetables
- Pre-filter and post-filter distortion per voice, plus global distortion
- Polyphonic aftertouch and linear FM
- Extensive modulation system, with 16-slot modulation matrix and 16 direct assignments controlled on the front panel
- Three ADSR envelopes and two LFOs per voice, plus animate buttons for instant modulation switching
- High-quality reverb, delay and chorus effects, and onboard arpeggiator
- CV modulation input for integration with modular systems
- Compact desktop module design with optional die-cast aluminum stand for positioning (not included)
What's In The Box:
- Novation Peak polyphonic synthesizer
- USB cable
- Power supply
Peak Included Software:
- Ableton Live Lite music making software
- Loopmasters sounds and samples