Hungry for a high-end digital console? Feast your eyes on the Tascam DM-4800: a beautiful control surface and front end for your DAW, and a signal-routing powerhouse to build your studio or venue around. This digital mixer has 24 clean, transparent XLR mic preamps with +48V phantom power, 24 more digital inputs, plus 16 returns for a total of 64 inputs. Assign any input to any output via any signal path with 24 buses, 12 auxes, and the flexible, easy-to-navigate patching you'd expect from a pro digital console. The DM-4800 integrates seamlessly with your DAW via the optional 32-channel FireWire expansion card, and its 24 touch-sensitive motorized faders map to your DAW via Mackie Control or HUI protocol over USB. And the best part? The Tascam DM-4800's quality is up there with digital desks at twice the price and more -- arguably the best value in its class.
64 Inputs + Four Expansion Slots for Even More I/O
While the DM-4800 is more than sufficient if you're building a studio from scratch, its extensive I/O means it can also accommodate any and all outboard preamps or processors you may happen to have already -- so upgrading to a digital console won't mean your treasured analog gear gathers dust. For starters, the DM-4800 gives you 24 studio-grade mic preamplifiers with XLR or 1/4" inputs, including 1/4" TRS analog inserts on every channel. If that's not enough, this console accepts another 24 channels of digital audio via three TDIF (Tascam Digital Interconnect Format) 25-pin D-sub ports. Expand your I/O even further via the DM-4800'a four expansion card slots for optional FireWire, ADAT, AES/EBU, analog, TDIF, and Surround Monitoring cards. There's even a "Cascade" port for linking two DM-4800s -- an excellent solution if you love your 4800 and need more channels. With all its extensive I/O connections on the back panel, the DM-4800 has a decidedly sophisticated appearance that looks fantastic in any studio or live performance environment.
Seamless DAW Integration over FireWire or USB
Tascam has long had their finger on the pulse of the recording world -- so it's no surprise that the DM-4800 console pairs perfectly with Pro Tools, Logic, Nuendo, Sonar, Cubase, or Digital Performer with the optional IF-FW/DM mkII FireWire expansion card. Install this card to send 32 channels of digital audio in and out of your computer over a single FireWire cable at up to 96 kHz/24-bit resolution -- making your digital console the ultimate rock-solid FireWire interface. Whether or not you add the FireWire option, the DM-4800 can seamlessly control your DAW over USB, with all 24 touch-sensitive motorized faders (plus the master fader) linking to your software's virtual faders, via industry-standard Mackie Contol or Mackie HUI protocol. With seamless DAW control and automation, plus the DM-4800's assignable transport buttons at the bottom right of the console, you'll be doing a lot more recording and mixing -- with a lot less clicking and dragging.
Onboard Dynamics, EQ, and Multi-Effects Processors
Live or in the studio, the DM-4800's built-in processing can help you fine-tune your mixes. In addition to each fader's LED ring encoder, there's a "fat channel" strip in the center of the console for easy access to the 4-band parametric EQ, dynamics processors, and the aux sends for your first 48 channels. The DM-4800 also has versatile onboard compressor/gates on each aux, bus, and main output, as well as two onboard effects processors loaded with tweakable TC Reverb and multieffects programs. Tascam's LCD display gives you instant visual feedback and easy-to-navigate menus for all its onboard processing.
Why You Wanted a Digital Mixer in the First Place
As any DM-4800 user will attest to, the great thing about working on a "smart" digital console is the ability to save and recall presets so the mixer is always configured to your needs -- whether you're working on multiple music projects, or running sound for a rotating schedule of live performances with their own setups. The flick of a switch re-patches your DM-4800 to the project you're working on, so you can start exactly where you left off. And the DM-4800's built-in Compact Flash card slot means you can download data to CF card media, and store scenes and presets on a backup that fits in your pocket. There's also a USB connection to computer to backup and restore data to and from your computer.
- 64-channel digital mixer
- 48 total input channels plus 16 returns
- 24 XLR mic preamps with 1/4" inserts and +48V phantom power
- 24 buses that can be reconfigured instantly
- Built-in 4-band parametric EQ and dynamics processing on each channel
- Two multi-effects processors with tweakable TC Reverb programs
- 24 touch-sensitive motorized faders
- Assignable transport buttons
- Control major DAW software over USB via Mackie Control or HUI protocol: Pro Tools, Logic, Nuendo, Sonar, Cubase, Digital Performer, and more
- Four expansion card slots accept Tascam's optional FireWire, ADAT, AES/EBU, analog, TDIF, or Surround Monitoring cards
- Send 32 channels of digital audio in and out of your DAW with the optional IF-FW/DM mkII FireWire expansion card
- Clean, professional looks with all I/O on the back panel
Whether you're multitracking live performances or mixing to picture, the Tascam DM-4800 can help you get the job done. This digital desk offers tons of flexible I/O, seamless DAW integration, versatile onboard processing, and fast console recall. And with its serious routing flexibility and a sophisticated, professional look, this this 64-input digital console is ready to be the nerve center of your operation for a price-to-performance ratio that can't be beat.
zZounds is an authorized dealer of
(24) XLR mic/line inputs with analog inserts plus phantom power for condenser mics
(24) 1/4" TRS Analog inserts
(24) Balanced 1/4" TRS line inputs
(3x) 8-channel TDIF digital inputs and outputs
8-channel ADAT optical digital input and output
(4) expansion card slots support optional FireWire, ADAT, AES/EBU, Analog & TDIF cards
(2) Stereo AES/EBU digital inputs on XLR connectors
(2) Stereo S/PDIF digital inputs on coaxial connectors
(2) Stereo AES/EBU digital outputs on XLR connectors
(2) Stereo S/PDIF digital outputs on coaxial connectors
Stereo XLR balanced line outputs
1/4" Stereo TRS balanced Large Monitor outputs
1/4" Stereo TRS balanced Small Monitor outputs
Maximum overall dimensions (w x d x h) including rest:
36.75 in. x 32.4 in. x 9.1 in. (933mm x 824mm x 230mm)
Weight: 71 lbs (35kg)
The Tascam DM-4800 is the ultimate digital console for professional users who demand a flexible, 64-channel mix platform that configures to fit their needs. A "fat channel" strip in the center of the board provides instant access to 4-band parametric EQ, dynamics and aux controls available for the first 48 channels. Twenty-four studio-grade mic preamps provide enough inputs for a live event, and more can be added using expansion cards with external preamps. The standard compliment of analog and digital I/O is more than you'll find on consoles costing three times as much, and a completely configurable 24-buss routing system allows you to re-patch the board at the flick of a switch.
Tascam's DM-4800 fits seamlessly into the modern recording environment based around a computer DAW. With a single button press, the Remote layer provides a 24-fader control surface for control of premiere workstations such as Pro Tools, Logic, SONAR, DP, Cubase and Nuendo. The optional IF-FW/DM mkII interface card provides 32 channels to and from a computer at up to 96kHz over a single FireWire cable. And the optional surround monitoring card provides downmixing, bass management and level control for mixing in up to 6.1 surround. No matter what your application, the Tascam DM-4800 adapts to the needs of any professional audio installation.
- 48 channels and 16 returns for 64 total inputs
- 24 busses
- 12 Aux Sends
- 24 mic/line inputs with analog inserts plus phantom power for condenser mics
- 24 channels of TDIF and 8 channels of ADAT built in
- 4 expansion card slots support optional FireWire, ADAT, AES/EBU, Analog, TDIF and Surround Monitoring cards
- Dedicated cascade port supports cascade of two DM-4800s
- Channel Strip section for EQ, Dynamics and Aux control of selected channel
- Per channel LED ring encoders for pan, aux sends and EQ
- Built-in DAW control layer compatible with Pro Tools, Logic Pro, SONAR, Cubase, Nuendo, and Digital Performer
- Transport buttons control DAW software, RS-422 devices or MMC devices
- Powerful automation with touch-sensitive motorized faders
- 4-band EQ, compression and gating on each channel
- Compression for each aux, buss and main output
- Two built-in effects processors, each able to run TC Reverb programs
- Flexible routing allows any input to be routed to any channel or output
- Offload data to convenient Compact Flash media using built-in CF slot