For recording vocals, guitar amps, bass cabinets, horns, and more, there's nothing like a vacuum-tube large-diaphragm condenser microphone. Some tube condensers sell for many thousands of dollars, but thanks to the Rode K2, engineers on a budget can capture lush, rich recordings with tons of tube-driven character. Though the K2's price tag puts it within reach of project studios, there's nothing "budget" about its performance. Rode is known for studio microphones that deliver incredible low-noise specs, and the K2 is no exception, with self-noise of only 10 dBA thanks to Class A valve circuitry. And not only is the super-quiet K2 great for tracking delicate vocals and acoustic instruments, it can handle a respectable maximum SPL of 162 dB -- so feel free to try your K2 on a cranked-up amp. As you'd expect from any pro tube mic, the K2 has a continuously variable pattern knob that lets you dial in a pickup pattern to suit your source. Try a tight, focused cardioid for a larger-than-life, in-your-face sound -- or twist the dial to an omni pattern for that more natural, you-are-there quality. However you choose to use it, the Rode K2 is an ideal first tube microphone for the small studio looking to expand their sonic palette without breaking the bank.
The Perfect Balance Of Warmth And Detail
Most engineers-on-a-budget are recording digitally through a USB or FireWire audio interface. And most engineers-on-a-budget are probably using that interface's built-in microphone preamps. Typically, these preamps are designed to be neutral-sounding -- and in the digital recording realm, that often means clinical, lifeless, and sometimes harsh. The Rode K2 reintroduces a touch of that classic analog character into your recordings, feeding a signal into your interface that's extremely detailed, but sweetened by genuine tube-driven circuitry. There's not a plug-in in the world that can emulate this sound; with a K2 at the front of your signal path, you'll be capturing more character, right at the source.
Continously Variable Pickup Pattern
Being based on a classic tube circuit in no way makes this a one-trick mic. Quite the opposite -- the classic external power supply features a continuously-variable polar pattern selector, making the Rode K2 one of the most versatile studio tools in any price range. In the cardioid pickup position, the K2 is a stunning vocal microphone -- smooth, airy, and flattering for both male and female voices. At figure-8 bidirectional, it's the perfect choice for a wide range of acoustic instruments like guitar, strings, or piano, and is particularly nice to sonically aggressive instruments like banjo or sitar. At the omnidirectional position the Rode K2 makes a phenomenal room mic, or can accurately and pleasingly capture the most notorious of instrument sources like harp or upright bass. Moreover, between these three major positions is an infinite variety of subtle sonic signatures. As the polar control travels across its range, the frequency response and pickup pattern transform smoothly, granting savvy engineers access to unorthodox but wholly usable response profiles. Chances are, if it makes noise, there's a position on the K2's pickup pattern knob to capture its essence.
Impressive Specs; Professional Results
Rode microphones are found in pro studios around the world -- and are responsible for a significant layer of dust build-up on other, more expensive microphones -- because they're up-to-spec for even the most demanding professional applications. The K2 is no different, boasting impressive numbers: 10 dBA self-noise, 150 dB dynamic range, and a whopping 162 dBA max sound pressure level. Because of Rode's dedication to quality manufacturing practices, the K2 shines in even the most extreme conditions, from orchestral recording to broadcast voiceover. More than likely, when you've got a recording source you've never heard before, the Rode K2 will become your go-to-mic.
- Large-diaphragm tube condenser microphone with exceptional price-to-performance ratio
- Dedicated power supply with continuously variable pickup pattern -- sweepable from omnidirectional, cardioid, and figure-8 and everything in between
- Wide 150 dB dynamic range and 162 dB maximum SPL
- 10 dBA self-noise -- exceptionally low for a tube mic
- Satin nickel finish and durable steel mesh head
- Class A valve circuitry
- Includes power supply, low-noise microphone cable, case, and shock mount
- User-serviceable, with field-replaceable tubes -- great for customizing your mic with "new old stock" tubes
- Gold-sputtered large diaphragm
Tube condensers are classic recording tools -- indispensable in any pro studio's mic locker. The Rode K2 quite simply delivers professional-grade sound, specs, and versatility at a price that any serious recording enthusiast is sure to swoon over. Whether you're just building your project studio or adding to a fully stocked mic collection, the Rode K2 can help take your recordings to the next level.
zZounds is an authorized dealer of
- Acoustic Principle: Externally polarized 25 mm (1 in.) condenser
- Active Electronics: Thermionic impedance converter with bipolar output buffer
- Pickup Pattern: Multi-pattern
- Frequency Response: 20 Hz ~ 20 kHz
- Output Impedance: 200 ohms
- Sensitivity: -36 dB re 1 Volt/Pascal (16 mV @ 94dB SPL) +/- 2 dB
- Equivalent Noise: 10 dBA SPL (per IEC651, IEC268-15)
- Maximum Output: > + 30 dBu (@ 1% THD into 1kOhms)
- Dynamic Range: 150dB (per IEC651, IEC268-15)
- Maximum SPL: 162 dB (@ 1% THD into 1kOhms)
- Signal/Noise: > 81 dB (1kHz rel 1 Pa; per IEC651, IEC268-15)
- Power Requirements: Dedicated Power Supply (110 ~ 120V/220 ~ 240V, 50/60Hz)
- Dimensions and Weight in Packaging
- Shipping Weight: 15 lbs
The Rode K2 delivers the ultimate in pure rich tube sound and performance, super low self noise (10dBA), high max. SPL (162dBA), and mega wide dynamic range (150dB). Featuring totally variable polar pattern control for an unbeatable combination of flexibility and power, the K2's legendary sound quality literally inspires those magic takes.
The TYPE HF1 dual diaphragm capsule represents Rode's finest transducer technology. Coupled with their most advanced high output tube circuitry, the K2 brings out every little detail, nuance & whisper, while handling even the loudest source material. The K2 is literally in a class by itself. Includes shock mount, case, power supply and 30 ft. cable.
- Continuously variable polar pattern
- Class A valve circuitry
- Dedicated power supply
- Superlative class condenser microphone