Marshall Studio Classic JCM 800 Guitar Amplifier Head (20 Watts)

Marshall Studio Classic JCM 800 Guitar Amplifier Head (20 Watts)

Classic Marshall tone in a portable format! The Marshall Studio Classic JCM 800 delivers 20 watts of power in a compact amp head built to look the part.

Overall:
Overall:
Submitted July 18, 2019 by Martin S in Lake Oswego, OR
"Marshall Nailed It"
I’ve tried a multitude of Marshall amps through the years and never found one that worked for me. Based on others I heard I knew I would like the JCM 800 but didn’t feel like going deaf to get that great tone. But now Marshall has created a JCM 800 that makes sense for a gigging musician. Here’s why: (1) It sounds the way I’ve always felt a Marshall should sound like. (2) It sounds great at 5 watts and is loud enough at 20 watts to be heard over our hard hitting drummer. I mean for 20 watts it is stinking LOUD. And I mean that in the best possible way. And (3) It is relatively light and portable to move to gigs which matters at my age lolDon’t listen to people that tell you this amp is a one trick pony. Lots of great tones here and it cleans up well using the volume knob on your guitar. It’s a simple amp that gets incredible tone when cranked. If it’s a one trick pony that’s one hell of a trick and worth the price of admission alone!Overall I couldn’t be happier with this purchase and with zZounds as usual stellar customer service.The Marshall Studio Classic gets two devil horns up
Been playing for years in pro bands. Have 17 guitars. My Gibson Les Paul and Charvel Sam Dimas are my #1’s
‘70’s & ‘80’s Hard Rock, Heavy Metal and Hair Metal
12 of 12 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted October 9, 2019 by a customer from yahoo.com in Hillbillyville, VA
"Marshall Mini JCM 800"
While I've only had the amp for a few days, I must say I am very impressed. I've own the 20w Mini Jubilee, & while it holds it's own, it just can't keep up with the SC20H in my humble opinion...Using a 1960A 4x12, this little amp is just incredible, it's got a very similar biting, percussive attack that it's big brothers are famous for...The only difference really is the 20w version doesn't quite have the roar & girth the 50/100w versions do, but it's not supposed to, this is more volume friendly version...But do not be deceived by the 20w power rating, this little amp has a roar of it's own...I've done some comparison recordings with an online friend, each of us using the same guitar di's, then re-amping through the 20w version on my end, & the 100w 2203 my friend owns...Trying to get everything as close as possible on both ends (same guitar di, speakers & mics), with both amps set as exact as we could (bass, treble, presence, etc), the results are very, very close...The main differences we hear are the bottom end is just a little different, the 20w being just a little thinner, but not very much, at all...For the guys who think this is a "bedroom amp", think again...While it can sound good at really low volume, it sounds much, much better when you wind the volume up, just like it's big brothers...The 5w setting does drop the volume slightly, but not very much...I think the low power setting will allow the power tubes to start cooking a little sooner, without as much volume, but it's still a very loud little amp...Takes pedals very well, & the effects loop works great...This amp does seem to have a little more gain than the big versions, but that's fine with me because you don't even need a boost/overdrive to get into 80's hair metal territory, you only need your guitar...This amp is the very thing Marshall fanatics have been screaming for, & it does deliver the JCM 800 sound...I highly recommend this amp, the only thing I don't like is the small logo, but that's only cosmetic, & an easy fix, if one chooses to do so...I'm giving this amp 4 1/2 stars overall because nothing is ever perfect...Another reason is it's expensive for a mini amp, but it is made in England & delivers great tone...But this amp is a killer, period...This amp, a 2x12, & a small attenuator would be the ultimate amp setup to play live/gig with...
10+ years of playing live, 10+ years of home recording, & 30+ years of guitar overall
Anything from Alabama to ZZ Top & everything between
8 of 8 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted March 29, 2019 by Steve E in Shamrock, TX
"It’s a classic"
I’m not much to review things, I usually just read them, but I have to say that this amp is the classic Marshall JCM 800 sound. Anyone looking at this already knows what tones they are after. This is it. Blues to hard rock and when boosted it gets into high gain territory. Cleans up nice with volume knob. I also own the mini jubilee and put both in stereo through a Marshall 1936 2x12 cab with V30s and they sing. What a perfect marriage. You can gig with it, you can rehearse with it, you can record with it, and you can get plenty of headroom still with just 20 watts. It does get plenty loud in 5 W mode. As a matter of fact it gets pretty loud a 2 on the master volume. Much louder than the same setting on my Jubilee. But you can still get great tones at bedroom level.
8 of 8 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted December 6, 2019 by Mario St DeHaven in Laguna Beach, CA
""Little Sweetie""
Um um umph, this sweet little thang can break up a happy home. Finally found the one that can steal me from my wife, and the tones emanating from this little honey sends shivers up and down my back and makes my toes curl up, I'm in love! Marshall is KING! All others must kneel! Next on my list is it's little sister the sexy Miss Plexie. Can't really speak for Manufacturer's support tho, haven't yet had a reason to seek it.
Former pro musician and session man for Capital and Decca Records, been playing professionally off and on for over 50 years.
Rock, Blues, Blues Rock, Hard Rock R&B
3 of 3 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted May 18, 2020 by John D in Garland, TX
"You need this amp in your life"
Why is the JCM 800 regarded as one of, if not to some the greatest Marshall ever made? Plug in and see. While there are few knobs you still can find a large range of classic tones. From really nice cleans to that classic Marshall gain that the 800 is known for. I will not compare originals to this 20 watt rerelease. Although the only thing I will say is that you don't need a power soak to get that classic tone, you will not go deaf getting it, yet you can overpower your drummer in the 20 watt mode. I put a Boss Super Overdrive in front of the amp and crank the drive, and out comes the tones of Ride the Lightning and Piece of Mind. Get an overdrive to go with it if you want the heavier side of classic metal. Just get one
I've played for over 20 years, in and out of bands. Currently playing in a metal band
Metal, rock, industrial, just whatever I feel inspired to play.
1 of 1 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted June 12, 2020 by KIRK BAUGH in CASTRO VALLEY, CA
"Marshall Studio Classic JCM 800 Amp Head"
I've had a lot of Marshall amps, but never had a JCM 800. I've been using JCM 900s for years -- the 50 Watt 2500 MK III model, in 25 Watt mode, and they're great.So I bought the Studio Classic JCM 800 because I wanted a low-wattage amp with great clean and crunch tones, and this amp delivers. I run it in 5 Watt mode "Low",using the "Low" sensitivity mode, with Master at 8 and Gain at 6, and it's fantastic.Killer tones, just loud enough to match drummer's volume. The amp is a little pricey, but is worth it. zZounds is the best. I called up with questions about the amp and they helped me out. Pull the trigger and buy this amp, from zZounds.
Been playing 43 years, Guitar, Bass, Drums, Vocals, Semi-professional.
Hard Rock, Alternative Rock, Post-Punk, Metal.

Submitted April 15, 2019 by Roel H in Harlingen, TX
"JCM800"
I must say this is the Amp of been dreaming about. something i can play in my Apt to the Stage. This bad boy has all the wow factor as my Original 1987 jcm 800 with out leaving me deaf for two days. Its perfect for all my 80s tones and has and awesome clean channel for some new style ambient playing. Thanks Marshall for making an awesome affordable JCM 800. This won't break the bank or your back.
I have 18 years of playing Guitar. I Jam with Friends and Teach at a local Guitar Shop.
Rock to Metal
4 of 4 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?