Boss Katana 100 MkII Guitar Amplifier Head (100 watts)

Boss Katana 100 MkII Guitar Amplifier Head (100 watts)

Make loading in easy with this lightweight, powerful amplifier. Packed with effects, this Katana head can handle any tone, style, and gig thrown its way.

Overall:
Overall:
Submitted September 13, 2020 by Allan B in Tempe, AZ
"Greatest thing since the OD pedal"
This review has been selected by our experts as particularly helpful.
What a great amp! Unless you've been living under a rock I'm sure you know all about Katana and how good it sounds and what a great value it is. Having the head and pairing it with your favorite cab is a dream. Sounds amazing and incredibly versatile. Oh and please, it's NOT a modeling amp. It's a full on solid state amp with modeled effects. It has a sound of its own.
This is an incredibly versatile amp. Clean, crunch, classic rock, metal, it can pretty much do it all. Even without a cab the little 5" speaker sounds pretty good. It's not quite tube but it's really really close. This is the 4th Katana that I've owned. I've had many tube amps and keep going back to Boss. I'm getting older and it's just not fun to lug around a 60 pound tube combo and a heavy pedalboard anymore. Paired the Katana with a 2x12 Celestion V30 closed back cab and it slays. The cab will stay in the band practice room and the head goes with me ;)
The onboard effects are great and I appreciate that if I need to I can just grab the head and go. I also really like that it's very lightweight and the internal speaker is a brilliant idea. It doesn't sound half bad either.
I really appreciate that it can be adjusted and tweaked just by the panel controls. No menus to scroll through just good old knobs. If you do need to get into some deep editing the Tone Studio is very easy to work with. Boss was smart to make the TS a universal look and feel across all of their gear. Once you learn one you've pretty much learned them all. It's a universally known fact that Katanas take pedals well but I'll say it again here. Katanas take pedals well. I actually use this in conjunction with an MS3, EQD Plumes, and a Ventris verb and Nemesis delay. I know the MS3 is redundant but this way I just use the Kat like a normal amp and use the MS3 for effects and to control everything else including the head via MIDI. It's a great and easy set up.
Like just about everything Boss, this is built extremely well.
What a value! For $350 I don't think there's anything else out there that can touch this.
I've used Boss products for almost 40 years and I've only dealt with them directly once. Took a few days to get a response but it was not a break/fix issue it was just a question.
Boss has been winning hearts and minds of musicians for almost 50 years. There's a reason why they are so highly regarded. They make great sounding stuff! I'm not going to lie, I'm a bit of a gear snob but I have no issue proudly saying I use a Katana on stage.
Playing over 40 years
Rock, jazz, prog
2 of 2 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted December 16, 2020 by a customer from gmail.com
"Boss Katana Head mkii"
The Best Part, No Screens, No Menus.. Turn it on-adjust physical knobs. PLAY! From home use, to on the stage, it does it all and asks for seconds.. Delay and Reverb out of the box totally reminds me of their Boss pedals. The head itself has a 5" speaker which can make some great tones at a low volumes and not sound like a clock radio. They got that perfect. Definitely give this a try. You can grow with it 1x12, 2x12 or 4x12 cab. Once you plug into the back, get your ear plugs.. Wow, it can push out volume. Compared to a Gt200 200W Its No Problem. I have the matching Katana cab 2x12, open backed. Nice wide and room filling tones with punchy lows. I also used a 1x12 Fender cab Jensen 30W it also sounds classic. The Cleans sound the best on the Katana cab. It does have line out, so of course I connected it up. A 2x12 Katana cab with a linked up GT200 2x12.. HA!. It should last a lifetime. Great build, great tones and totally customizable with tone software online.
2 of 2 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted March 5, 2021 by a customer from gmail.com
"Great sounds"
This is a great buget friendly do it all amp. The head plugged into a B52 4 x 12 on 100 watts is super loud. Used the tone editor picked a heavy metal amp sound threw in a eq and boost. BoomClean metal chugness.Cant beat the price for the almost tube sound, tons of headroom. Great ambiance playing set ups. Boss pedals Boss thinking.

Submitted November 5, 2020 by a customer from gmail.com
"Great Quality!"
This is an awesome head amp and really comes alive when you go into the Tone Studio. With enough pedal and amp style combinations ymto get any sound you like.

Submitted October 27, 2020 by a customer from yahoo.com
"Astonished"
Took a chance and couldn't be happier totally eliminated the need for my pedal board