Zoom H4n Pro Portable Handy Recorder
At Zoom they're always developing new ideas to improve the performance and function of their Handy Recorders. With the H4n Pro, they've taken everything creators love about the H4n and brought it to the next level.
The H4n Pro isn't just improved, it's superior in every way. With advanced X/Y microphones, incredibly natural-sounding preamps, and a super-low noise floor, you can record everything from the Indy 500 to the fluttering of a hummingbird with extraordinary realism.
See what's new and improved in the H4n Pro in this video from Zoom:
The Filmmaker's Favorite
The H4n Pro is packed with features that make it perfect for capturing audio for film. The onboard X/Y microphones deliver spectacular stereo imaging, and two combo input jacks allow you to use your favorite microphones as well. It also includes a headphone/line out jack to easily send high-definition stereo directly to your camera.
Unmatched In Concert
The Pro is perfect for capturing live performances. Capable of handling up to 140 dB SPL, it can record everything from ear-splitting heavy metal to bass-heavy EDM. Take a line-level* stereo feed from your mixing console and capture room ambience with the X/Y microphones to put your listeners front row center. * +4dBu line-level is not supported.
Podcasters and Journalists
The H4n Pro provides the essential combination of mic'ing versatility, portability, and superior audio necessary for impactful storytelling. With support for plug-in power, you can use a lavalier to mic up your subject for podcasts or interviews. Record time-stamped WAV files to sync with video footage in post-production, or embed superior audio directly on your video in real-time through a 1/8" stereo feed.
With overdubbing and punch-in features, as well as studio-grade instrument effects and emulators, you can create songs from start to finish. The Pro also functions as a 2-input/2-output USB audio interface for PC or Mac. Launch your favorite recording/editing software or use the included Cubase LE to start creating.
High-Performance Mic Preamps
The Pro features the same high performance, low-noise mic preamps as our acclaimed Zoom H5 and H6 Handy Recorders, with recording and playback at resolutions up to 24-bit/96 kHz. The improved noise floor (-120 dBu EIN) captures audio at lower volumes with less noise and fewer artifacts.
Built-in Stereo Recording
X/Y stereo recording covers a wide area while capturing sound sources in the center with clarity and definition. The angle of its two unidirectional condenser mics can easily be changed from 90 degrees for a tightly focused stereo image to 120 degrees for a wider image simply by twisting the mic capsules.
The H4n Pro provides an onboard MS decoder for Mid-Side recording with external microphones. This allows you to adjust the width of the stereo image, making it especially useful for sound design and broadcasting.
Inputs and Outputs
Inputs: The two locking combo connectors accept either XLR or 1/4" balanced/unbalanced phone cables, handling mic- and line-level signals as well as instrument-level signals. Phantom Power of +24 or +48 volts can be applied to both inputs. Plus, there's a stereo 1/8" Mic jack for external audio sources, including lavalier microphones requiring 2.5 volts of plug-in power.
Outputs: A stereo 1/8" Line/Phone Out, with dedicated volume control, allows for headphone monitoring or connection to your DSLR, while the built-in monophonic speaker allows for quick playback reference. In addition, a USB port enables fast file transfer, firmware updates, and use as a 2-in/2-out audio interface for computers.
A new rubberized, ergonomic body is perfect for use in the field or with a camera, while new locking XLR/TRS connectors ensure your mic cables stay secure. Highly portable, the H4n Pro can travel anywhere for convenient mobile recording.
Three Ways to Record:
STEREO MODE uses the built-in X/Y microphones (or external mics) and is convenient for recording live performances, acoustic instruments, dialogue, and more.
In 4CH MODE, you can record with the built-in X/Y mics and two external inputs simultaneously, great for getting live room sound and a stereo board feed at the same time.
MTR MODE (Multi-track Mode) turns your device into a four-track studio, with built-in effects, overdub functions, and the ability to work with previously recorded sound files.
Pre-Record (for STEREO/4CH mode):
Pre-Record ensures that you'll never miss the start of a great take. The device is continuously listening, keeping the previous two seconds* of audio whenever you hit RECORD. *One second when recording at 96k or working 4CH mode.
Auto-Record (for STEREO/4CH mode):
Auto-Record automatically starts recording when a user-set sound level is detected. There's also an Auto-Record Stop function, which ends the recording as soon as the incoming signal drops below the user-set stop level.
Use the optional RC4 remote to control the H4n Pro. The RC4 allows you to start and stop recording, fast forward and rewind through your files, switch the input source, and set recording/playback levels at a distance while eliminating handling noise.
The Pro offers studio-grade effects and emulators to enhance your recordings. Choose from a variety of effects, including compression, limiting, reverb, delay, echo, a low-cut filter, and more. There's an onboard metronome and tuner, along with dozens of amp models and effects crafted for guitar and bass. Additionally, you can loop playback and adjust pitch and speed independently, making the H4n Pro a perfect tool for phrase training.
Supported File Types
The Pro records audio in both WAV and MP3 formats. It supports 16- and 24-bit WAV audio at sampling rates of 44.1, 48, or 96 kHz. The WAV files are automatically time-stamped, making them Broadcast Wave Format (BWF) compliant, allowing precise synchronization in post-production.
Battery Life and Recording Times
The H4n Pro runs on 2 AA batteries, providing up to 6 hours in normal operation, or up to 10 hours when operating in STAMINA mode. An optional AD-14 AC adapter allows the H4n Pro to be powered from any standard wall outlet.
The H4n Pro accepts SD and SDHC cards up to 32 gigabytes. See the "Zoom H4n Pro Recording Times" document for recording time per card.
Edit and Record Software Included
The H4n Pro comes with free download licenses for Steinberg's Cubase LE music production software and WaveLab LE audio editing software, representing a complete audio production toolkit. Create your own music utilizing the Pro's USB audio interface function or expand your capabilities with Steinberg's renowned audio software.
- Update to Zoom H4n Handy Recorder
- Four-track simultaneous recording
- High-fidelity mic preamps
- Built-in X/Y stereo microphones, adjustable between 90 and 120 degrees
- Record up to 140 dB SPL with X/Y microphones
- Two mic/line level inputs with XLR/TRS combo connectors
- Stereo 1/8" Mic In mini phone jack
- +24 or +48V phantom power for main inputs and Plug-in power (2.5V) via Mic/Line In mini phone jack
- Output/headphone jack with dedicated volume control
- New rubberized and ergonomic body with improved 1.9 inch backlit LCD display
- Built-in reference speaker for fast playback
- Records directly to SD and SDHC cards up to 32 GB
- Supports up to 24-bit/96 kHz audio in BWF-compliant WAV or a variety of MP3 formats
- Onboard Mid-Side decoding
- Internal mixdown: four-track to stereo and stereo to dual mono
- Up to 99 marks per recording
- Built-in effects, including compression/limiting, low-cut filtering, modulation, reverb/delay and amp models
- Normalize (maximum gain) and Divide (file splitting) functions
- Chromatic tuner and metronome
- Loop playback with user-defined start and stop points
- Variable playback speed, from 50% to 150%, without affecting pitch
- Variable pitch without affecting playback speed
- USB port for file transfer to and from computer
- 2-in/2-out USB audio interface for PC/Mac computers
- Mounts to mic stand or tripod, or directly to DSLR with optional Hot Shoe adapter
- Runs on 2 standard AA alkaline or NiMH rechargeable batteries with up to 6 hours of operation (up to 10 hours in Stamina mode)
zZounds is an authorized dealer of Zoom products.
- Number of simultaneous recording tracks: 2 (STEREO mode), 4 (4CH mode), 2 (MTR mode)
- Number of simultaneous playback tracks: 2 (STEREO mode), 4 (4CH mode), 4 (MTR mode)
- Recording time 4 GB (SDHC): Approx. 380 minutes (WAV 44.1 kHz / 16-bit stereo track)
- Approx. 68 hours (MP3 44.1 kHz / 128 kbps stereo track)
* Recording times are approximations. Actual times may differ according to recording conditions.
- Maximum number of simultaneous recording files size: 2 GB
- Projects: 1000/card
- Locate function: Hours/Minutes/Seconds/Milliseconds
- Other functions: Punch-in/out, Bounce, A-B repeat
- Effects modules: 2
- STEREO / 4CH Mode: LO CUT, COMP/LIMITER
- MTR Mode: PRE AMP module, EFX module
- Types: 53
- Patches: 60
- Tuners: Chromatic, Guitar, Bass, Open A/D/E/G, DADGAD
- Metronome sound sources: 5
- Variable beat: 1/4 - 8/4, 6/8, unaccentuated
- Tempo: 40.0 - 250.0 BPM
- A/D conversion: 24-bit x 128 oversampling
- D/A conversion: 24-bit x 128 oversampling
- Recording media: SD card (16 MB - 2 GB), SDHC card (4 GB - 32 GB)
- Display: 128 x 64 dots Full-dot backlit LCDDATA TYPE - WAV FORMAT (RECORD/PLAY)
- Quantization: 16- / 24-bit
- Sampling frequency: 44.1 / 48 / 96 kHzDATA TYPE - MP3 FORMAT (RECORDING)
- Bit rate: 48, 56, 64, 80, 96, 112, 128, 160, 192, 224, 256, 320 kbps, VBR
- Sampling frequency: 44.1 kHzDATA TYPE - MP3 FORMAT (PLAYBACK)
- Bit rate: 32, 40, 48, 56, 64, 80, 96, 112, 128, 160, 192, 224, 256, 320 kbps, VBR
- Sampling frequency: 44.1 / 48 kHzINPUTS:
- Input  : XLR (balanced input) / standard phone (unbalanced input) combo jack
- Input impedance: (Using balanced input) 3 kOhm or more, pin 2 hot, (Using unbalanced input) 470 kOhm or more
- Input gain: (Using balanced input) \0x221216 dB to +43 dB, (Using unbalanced input) -30 dB to +32 dB
- Built-in stereo mic: Unidirectional condenser microphone
- Sensitivity: -45 dB/1 Pa at 1 kHz
- Input gain: -16 dB to +51 dB
- Maximum sound pressure input: 140 dB SPL
- External mic: Mini stereo phone jack
- Input impedance: 2 kOhm or more
- Input gain: - 16 dB to +51 dBOUTPUTS:
- Line/phone: LINE Output load impedance: 10 kOhm or more
- LINE rated output level: -10 dBu
- PHONE: 20 mW + 20 mW (into 32Ohm load)
- Monaural speaker: 400 mW 8 Ohm
- Phantom power: 48V, 24V, OFF
- USB: USB 2.0 High Speed Mass Storage Class operation, Audio interface operation
(USB functions can be operated by USB bus power)
- Power requirements: DC 5V 1A AC from AC adapter (ZOOM AD-14), 2 x AA batteries
- Batteries: IEC R6 (size AA) x 2
- Continuous recording time:
* STEREO mode: Using built-in mics at 44.1 kHz/16-bit without headphones connected, About 6 hours using alkaline batteries or about 8 hours using NiMH (2450mAh) batteries
* STAMINA mode: Using built-in mics at 44.1 kHz/16-bit without headphones connected, About 10 hours using alkaline batteries or about 12 hours using NiMH (2450mAh) batteries
- Dimensions: 73 (W) x 157.2 (D) x 37 (H) mm
- Weight: 294 g
- Weight, Dimensions, and Manufacturer Part Numbers
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN):