QSC KW181: A Subwoofer That's a Breeze to Transport
Want to push some serious air? With 1000 watts continuous and 2000 watts peak power handling, the QWC KW181 is a seriously powerful subwoofer. Like its QSC KW series siblings, the powered KW181 boasts a machined birch plywood cabinet, aluminum handles, a strong steel grille, and casters that make it easy to move -- so you can get the dance floor moving faster. Integrated M10 suspension points make the KW181 ideal for flying, while its threaded pole-mount cup provides a wobble-free connection with the included threaded speaker pole.
Learn more with this video from QSC:
KW Stands for Kilowatt: 1000 Watts of Class D Power
As part of QSC's robust KW series, the KW181 sub is a powered, active speaker with 1000 watts of lightweight Class D amplification. This sub's built-in Class D power amp employs QSC's Guardrail limiter to prevent destructive clipping distortion and speaker cone over-excursion, while a virtually silent internal fan turns on when the amp senses high temperatures -- making the KW181 truly robust.
QSC's Intrinsic Correction Processing
To build a subwoofer that performs equally well across the entire sound field, QSC took dozens of measurements and implemented FIR linear phase filters that adjust the speaker's frequency response, helping deliver consistent sound over the entire audience.
DEEP Mode: More Bass, Less Distortion
To get impressive bass output from 1000 watts, the KW181 subwoofer has QSC's proprietary DEEP: Digital Extension and Excursion Processing. Flip the DEEP switch on the back of your sub, and a virtually transparent limiter kicks in to increase the average output of bass frequencies. Much more than just a low-frequency EQ boost, DEEP mode employs sophisticated DSP to detect and correct any brief bass transients that could cause clipping distortion or over-excursion of the 18-inch woofer -- helping the KW181 to safely pump out frequencies as low as 43 Hz, with a maximum SPL of 132 dB.
Check out our exclusive demo of the QSC KW181 Powered Subwoofer:
- 1000-watt powered subwoofer (2 x 500-watt Class D amplifiers)
- 1000 watts continuous output, 2000 watts peak
- 18-inch woofer
- Includes fixed-length, M20 threaded speaker pole and pole-mounting cup
- Rugged birch plywood enclosure with textured black paint
- Tour-grade 16-gauge protective steel grille
- Ergonomic steel handles
- Quiet casters
- Reverse polarity switch
- 2 combination XLR-1/4" TRS line-level inputs
- DEEP switch for additional bass extension
- Auto-standby mode triggers after 5 minutes of inactivity
- Front LED modes: POWER illuminates when the unit is powered on, OFF disables the LED, and LIMIT mode illuminates when the clip-limiter circuit is engaged.
- Remote gain control ready via the Phoenix-style connector; multiple KW181s are daisy-chainable from a single remote pot
zZounds is an authorized dealer of QSC products.
- Configuration: 18-inch subwoofer
- Transducer: 18-inch cone transducer
- Frequency Response (-6 dB): 43 Hz - 97 kHz
- Frequency Range (-10 dB): 39 Hz - 145 Hz
- Maximum SPL (1 meter): 132 dB peak
- Power Output: 1000 W Class D continuous
- Input Impedance (ohms): XLR / 1/4-inch : 38k balanced / 19k unbalanced
- Indicators: Power, Signal, Standby, Limit
- Connectors: Dual balanced female XLR-1/4-inch line level input, Dual Balanced male XLR full range line level out, Remote gain control, Locking IEC power connector
- Cooling: On demand, 50 mm variable speed fan
- Amplifier Protection: Thermal limiting, output overcurrent, overtemperature muting, GuardRail
- Transducer Protection: Thermal limiting, excursion limiting
- AC Power Input: Universal power supply 100 - 240 VAC, 50 - 60 Hz
- Material: 15 mm painted birch plywood
- Finish: Black textured paint
- Grille: Black powder coated 16 gauge steel
- Pole Socket Size: M20 threaded
- Dimensions (HxWxD): 20.1 x 23.4 x 29.9 inches with casters (510 mm x 595 mm x 761 mm with casters)
- Weight (Net): 83 pounds (37.6 kg)
AC Power Consumption (1/8 Power):
- 100 VAC, 2.3 A
- 120 VAC, 2.01 A
- 230 VAC, 1.13 A
- LF Mode (Normal/DEEP)
- Polarity (Normal/Reverse)
- Front LED (On/Off/Limit)
- Weight, Dimensions, and Manufacturer Part Numbers
- Base Item
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN):
- Warehouse Resealed, USED
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN):
- Pair, with Speaker Pack
If you have additional warranty questions, please contact the manufacturer at 800-772-2834
QSC KW181 Active SubwooferBuilding on the success of QSC's K Series, the KW181 represents the next evolutionary step in wood enclosure loudspeakers. QSC system engineers have created the KW181 to feature all the groundbreaking electronic attributes of QSC's popular K Series while at the same time designing a product that is both smaller and significantly lighter than previous wood enclosure models.
Features:- K Series performance in a lightweight, birch design
- 1000 watt Class D power modules (2 x 500 W)
- Extensive DSP featuring DEEP(tm) and Intrinsic Correction(tm) enhances system performance
- DMT (tm) (Directivity Matched Transition) ensures uniform coverage across the entire sound field
- Rugged, texture-painted birch enclosures
- Tour-grade 16 gauge steel grilles
- Comfortable ergonomic handles
Sophisticated DSP: A Smarter SubExtensive signal processing is employed throughout, providing levels of sonic clarity and total output that defy all expectations for a product in this category:
- Intrinsic Correction, first featured in QSC's high-end line array products, maps 65-75 spatially-averaged measurements to IIR and FIR filters that actively adjust time, frequency and amplitude response to a maximally flat bandpass target. The result is a speaker that behaves equally well across the entire sound field.
- DEEP and excursion limiting allow for extended low-frequency response by actively managing low-frequency transients without degradation of the underlying signal or adjacent frequencies.
- GuardRail(tm) protection. first introduced on QSC GX Series amplifiers, protects both the amplifier module and your performance from unnatural and destructive clipping.
Premium-grade MaterialsThe KW181 is designed to withstand the rigors of professional use. Advanced construction processes, premium-grade Baltic birch cabinetry, ergonomic, cast aluminum handles, low-noise casters and a highly protective steel grille provide for ease of transport and long term durability. Integrated M10 suspension points allow for flown applications with a KW M10 KIT (sold separately) and a threaded pole receptacle provides for a positive, wobble free connection to a threaded speaker pole (included).
Connections and ControlOn the rear of the KW181 sub, combo XLR and 1/4" TRS inputs accept line-level input. The DEEP switch can be set to NORM or DEEP(tm) for additional bass extension. The rear panel LED switch can be set to POWER, illuminating the front-mounted LED when the unit is powered on, OFF for applications where it is not desirable to illuminate the front LED, or LIMIT which indicates to the system operator that the clip limiter circuit has been engaged during operation.
Remote Gain Control ReadyRemote gain control capability is offered via a potentiometer (not included) connected to the onboard Phoenix-Style connector. In an installed application, multiple KW181 speakers can be "daisy-chained" for total gain control from a single remote pot. Auto-standby mode is engaged after 5 minutes of inactivity.