Kali Audio LP-8 Studio MonitorKali Audio's LP-8 is a 8-inch studio monitor. It was designed to deliver transparent sound for creators working across genres and formats at a price that puts it within anyone's reach. An advanced waveguide, a large voice coil, and precision tuning make the sound extraordinarily transparent, while the oversized low frequency magnet and low noise port tube deliver powerful, clean bass response. To make it easy to integrate into your setup, the speaker is self-powered and has a variety of inputs. The DSP features Boundary EQ settings that optimize the speaker's response for where it's placed in your listening space.
The 3-D Imaging Waveguide allows you to hear a 3-D soundstage from a stereo pair of speakers. By matching the shape of the waveguide to the interactions of the HF and LF drivers, this waveguide produces a stereo image that is wider, taller, and deeper than the space where the speakers are placed.
The LP-8 accomplishes this by ensuring that the speaker's reflected sound matches its direct sound. Every time you hear a loudspeaker, you're hearing both the direct sound from the speaker, and reflections from the speaker's signal bouncing off of objects in the room.
When those reflections are congruent with the direct sound from the speaker, listeners perceive a better sound overall, and are able to make out very subtle details like where microphones are placed in a room. When done very well, the stereo image will be three-dimensional.
This gives you a very high degree of confidence in their mix. It allows them to mix faster, and produce better mixes overall.
The port tube on LP-8 was designed to ensure that all of the air leaves the port tube at the same velocity. This helps add to the low end response of the speaker, while keeping the bass clean, tight, and devoid of extra noise.
With 88 dB continuous output at 2 meters (roughly 6 feet,) and 20 dB of headroom, the LP-8 is plenty loud for almost every 1 or 2 person listening space. This includes home studios, editing bays, and most control rooms.
Ample headroom ensures that even loud mixes with high dynamic range will come through clearly.
Bass on the LP-8 is delivered by a larger magnet and larger voice coil than any comparable speaker on the market. This gives you more accurate bass response that extends lower, so you can dial in exactly the low end sound you need.
A speaker's given position in a space can drastically change it's frequency response. Happily, most of the common positions are fairly predictable and easily corrected.
Kali's team came up with boundary compensation EQ settings at the Village Recorder in Los Angeles to help you get the optimum sound for where you need to put your speakers. Combined with the LF and HF trims, this will ensure that the speakers sound their best no matter what room you're mixing in.
- EQ Settings For:
- Free Space
- Speakers on stands, against a wall
- Speakers on a desk, away from a wall
- Speakers on a desk, against a wall
- Speakers on a console meter bridge
- Speaker mounted to a wall
zZounds is an authorized dealer of Kali Audio products.
- Powered: Yes
- Amplifier Class: D
- Power Configuration: Bi-Amped
- LF Power: 60 W
- HF Power: 40 W
- Total Power: 100 W
- LF Driver: 8" Woofer
- HF Driver: 1" Soft Dome Tweeter
- Freq. Response (-10 dB): 37 Hz - 25 kHz
- Frequency Range (+/-3 dB): 45 Hz - 21 kHz
- Crossover: 1.8 kHz
- Listening Distance (85 dB Continuous output, 20 dB headroom): 2.8 Meters
- Max SPL: 114 dB
- Unbalanced Inputs: 1 x RCA
- Balanced Inputs:
- 1 x TRS
- 1 x XLR
- TRS/XLR Input Sensitivity: +4 dB
- RCA Input Sensitivity: -10 dB
- HF Trim: -2 dB, +/-0 dB, +2 dB
- LF Trim: -2 dB, +/-0 dB, +2 dB
- Boundary EQ Settings:
- Free space (On stands, away from walls)
- On Stands, within .5 meters of a wall
- Against a wall
- Meter Bridge
- Wall Mount
- On a desk, away from walls
- On a desk, within .5 meters of a wall
- On a desk, against a wall
- Enclosure: Front Ported
- Height: 16.5 Inches (25.4 cm)
- Width: 10 Inches (15.4 cm)
- Depth: 11.25 Inches (17.4 cm)
- Product Weight: 19.8 lbs (9 kg)
- Shipping Weight: 22.5 lbs (10.2 kg)
- In the Box:
- LP-8 Studio Monitor
- US Power Cable
- User's Manual
- Weight, Dimensions, and Manufacturer Part Numbers
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN):