Fender '57 Champ: A Little Amp With Lots of Tone
Fender's classic combo amp is back! In its latest incarnation, the Fender '57 Custom Champ guitar combo amplifier is a tribute to the vintage Fender Champion 800 first released in 1948 -- a low-wattage tube amplifier with a simple yet tonally beautiful amplification circuit. The Fender '57 Champ amp of the late 1950s is well known as the small-but-mighty tone machine that belongs in every serious guitarist's collection. The release of the '57 Champ adds this iconic, one-of-a-kind product to Fender's '57 Tweed Series.
Low Wattage, High Quality
Don't be fooled by the wattage -- at just 5 watts of power, the '57 Custom Champ and its predecessors represent Fender's lowest-wattage tube amp ever, but it's that low wattage that makes this amp ideal for studio use and practice sessions. At 5 watts, the '57 Custom Champ is easy to overdrive in a small space without cranking the amp up to deafening volumes, allowing it to deliver a classic rock crunch even in the smallest of spaces. But it's not just about overdrive, lower volumes is where the '57 Custom Champ really shines, with silky smooth tones and vintage twang you'd expect to get only from a real vintage amplifier.
The tweed Champ is a terrific practice amp, and has been a prized possession of countless pro players for its great sounding, low-output, easy-to-record capabilities. It's well documented that this model has been used on recordings by Johnny Cash, Keith Richards and Eric Clapton (it's the "Layla" amp). And with its rich tone and touch-sensitive response, the Champ is great for making cool new music today.
The '57 Custom Champ is a tribute to classic rock's favorite studio amp -- the amp used in literally hundreds, if not thousands of classic guitar recordings -- and this reissue has been faithfully designed with classic features in mind. Sporting a narrow panel cabinet design with tweed finish and Fender Bassman-style grille cloth, the amp looks like a real 1950s amplifier. And equipped with a simple silverface control strip featuring just a single volume control and no tone controls, all of which are driven by a specially selected tube amp and hand-wound, period-accurate amplifier circuit, the Fender '57 Custom Champ doesn't only look like an amp from the 1950s -- it sounds like one too.
This faithful hand-wired recreation of the 1957 Champ amp is not just for collectors or retro-minded guitarists. Any player seeking the ultimate in low-powered, top-quality tube performance need look no further!
- Faithful reissue of Fender's classic 1957 narrow-panel tweed Champ amplifier
- 5-watt hand-wired tube combo amplifier for guitar
- Specially designed single 8-inch Weber speaker with alnico magnet and 4-ohms total impedance
- Vintage 5F1 circuit (the 6th iteration of the 1950s Fender Champ circuit)
- Simple design: one 12AY7 preamp tube, one 6V6 power amp tube, and one 5Y3GT rectifier tube
- Fender Pure Vintage yellow capacitors and Schumacher transformers
- Two 1/4-inch guitar inputs (normal and bright)
- Chrome control panel with classic metal lever on/off toggle switch, vintage-style pre-LED red power indicator, and a single volume pot
- Tapered vintage-style "chickenhead" control knobs
- Fender Bassman-style grille cloth
- Finger-joined solid pine cabinet construction
- Leather handle strap with chrome mounting hardware
- Vintage-style metal Fender logo badge
- Includes tweed cloth protective cover
- Unit weighs 15 pounds
zZounds is an authorized dealer of Fender products.
- Model Name: Fender '57 Custom Champ
- Model Number: 8160500100 (120V USA)
- Series: Custom Series
- Type: All Tube
- Output: 5 watts into 4 ohms
- Speakers: 1-8" Weber Special Design 4 ohm, 10 watt, Alnico Magnet Speaker
- Ohms: 4 ohms
- Channels: Single Channel with Two Inputs: (Normal and Bright)
- Controls: Volume
- Tube Compliment: 1 x 6V6, 1 x 12AY7, 1 x 5Y3GT (Rectifier)
- Covering: Genuine Lacquered Tweed with Oxblood Grille Cloth
- Dimensions: Height: 13.5" (34.3 cm),
- Width: 12.5" (31.8 cm),
- Depth: 7.8" (19.8 cm)
- Unit Weight: 16.5 lb (7.5 kg)
- Shipping Weight: 23 lbs
- Footswitch: N/A
- Cover: Includes a protective amp cover
- Accessories: Fitted Brown Cover
- Weight, Dimensions, and Manufacturer Part Numbers
- Base Item
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN):
- Warehouse Resealed
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN):