Product DescriptionPrized for their warm and smooth sound since the early days of recording, ribbon microphones have made a comeback in recent years. But ribbon mics have an Achilles heel: the delicate aluminum ribbon element is susceptible to bending and breaking. High-SPL sources like drums or horns can ruin a fragile foil ribbon with one transient blast of air, upsetting its delicate tension and stretching it out of shape. It would take an extraordinary ribbon to hold up Shure's reputation for building nearly-indestructible microphones -- and that's exactly what you'll find inside the Shure KSM353.
Roswellite: One Tough RibbonThe Shure KSM353's ribbon element is engineered from proprietary Roswellite, an acoustic nanomaterial with the tensile strength to retain its shape and sound under extreme conditions. The funny name means serious performance: This ribbon can handle up to 146 dB SPL, while delivering classic ribbon-mic sound on stage or in the studio. So go ahead -- use the 353 on guitar amp, bass amp, vocals, brass, even inside a kick drum! Roswellite's "shape memory" means it'll bounce right back.
A Boutique PedigreeGearheads with an eye for detail will notice that the Shure KSM353 ribbon microphone looks (and sounds) a lot like the El Diablo mic once made by Crowley and Tripp, a now-defunct boutique manufacturer. When Shure acquired Crowley and Tripp, they secured the rights to Roswellite. In the El Diablo mic, and now in the KSM353, a revolutionary Roswellite ribbon can go where no ribbon has gone before -- and retain the smooth, natural character that defines a ribbon.
A Ribbon Mic For Any SourceThe Shure KSM353 is ideal for high-SPL applications like kick drums and blaring guitar cabinets, yet it's sensitive enough for delicate vocals or violins. Like all ribbon mics, the 353 has a bidirectional pickup pattern and can be addressed from front or back, with excellent rejection of its null points to the sides. The design lends itself well to stereo Blumlein pairs, great for natural, spacious room ambiances or orchestral ensembles. In short, the KSM353 for use anywhere you'd use a top-quality boutique ribbon mic, plus it's durable enough to use on extremely loud voices and instruments.
Attention To DetailLike its predecessor, the KSM353 is hand-assembled in the USA, before being tuned and tested to exacting standards. As one of Shure's premium KSM offerings, the 353 is built with top-quality materials inside and out. The pure stainless steel case protects a custom ribbon motor assembly, designed to tailor bass response while delivering full low and mids. The KSM353 also boasts upper-range presence beyond that of a typical ribbon, with a smooth rolloff above 10 kHz -- an excellent choice for taming sibilant or shrill voices. Shure's attention to detail is even evident in the included shock mount and custom wood box.
Features:- Premium microphone delivers the smooth, warm response characteristic of a ribbon
- Innovative Roswellite ribbon material is much more resilient than typical aluminum foil ribbons, retaining its "shape memory"
- Hand-assembled in the USA to match Shure's stringent quality standards
- Included shock mount and custom wood box
zZounds is an authorized dealer of Shure products.
Transducer Type: Roswellite Ribbon
Frequency Response: 30Hz - 15,000Hz Pro Audio KSM353 Response Curve - Small view larger
Directional Polar Pattern: Bidirectional
Output Impedance: Transformer, balanced, actual 270 Ohm
Polarity: Positive pressure on front side of ribbon produces positive voltage on pin 2 relative to pin 3,pin 1 ground
Sensitivity (at 1 kHz, open circuit voltage) -53.5 dBV/Pa (2.11 mV/Pa)
Dimensions & Weight Diameter: 4.83 cm (1.9 in) Height: 15.75 cm (6.2 in)
Weight: 633g (1.4 lbs)
Weight: 833g (1.84 lbs) w/shock mount
Max SPL: 146 dB
If you have additional warranty questions, please contact the manufacturer at 800-25-SHURE
Product DescriptionThe KSM353 is a premium bi-directional ribbon microphone crafted for pristine audio in studio and concert hall applications. Proprietary Roswellite(tm) technology provides revolutionary ribbon resilience and durability under extreme conditions. Hand assembled in the USA from state-of-the art transducers, transformers and metals as the pinnacle of Shure quality for prestigious vocal and acoustic performances.
The high-tensile strength, toughness and shape memory of Roswellite ribbon material replaces traditional foil ribbons for superior resilience at extreme SPLs.
With unique technology and application features, alongside superior materials and construction, Shure KSM Ribbon Microphones are the necessary choice for the world's most accomplished studio and live performances.
- Bi-directional polar pattern delivers premier, completely symmetrical audio with superior off-axis rejection
- Revolutionary Roswellite proprietary ribbon material replaces traditional foil ribbons with high tensile strength, toughness and shape memory that provides superior resilience at extreme SPLs
- Custom ribbon motor assembly tailors bass response without attenuating the overall output for full low and mid ranges, and superior upper range presence from a rising frequency response
- Double-shielded matched full-sized transformer minimizes signal loss and maximizes output while reducing magnetic and RF interference from 90 degree placement, offset relative to the ribbon
- 146dB SPL across 30 - 15,000 Hz frequency response ideal for capturing fast transients in vocals, acoustic instruments and concert halls
- Legendary Shure quality and superior construction from hand-assembly of machined steel, silver, gold and aluminum materials, and housed in a pure stainless steel casing
- Spring-loaded suspension shock mount for flexible, fully-isolated stand mounting.
- Upright protective wood case included for storage when not in use