Audio engineers sure are a demanding bunch. The want their mixers to be feature-filled, yet easy to use; expandable, yet compact; powerful, yet affordable. And naturally, we want the convenience of digital with the warmth of analog. The PreSonus StudioLive 16.4.2 digital mixer meets the most discerning engineer's demands (and budget) with clear, warm mic preamps, an impressive array of top-notch digital effects, and a FireWire audio interface for 32-channel multitrack recording -- making the 16-channel StudioLive a formidable mixing console, whether in the recording studio or on the road.
Plenty Of Routing
Sixteen class-A, high-headroom XMAX preamps feed sixteen input channels for plenty of mixing flexibility. Full band setups with multiple singers are no problem with the StudioLive 16.4.2. To make mixing on the fly easier, assign your inputs to one of four subgroups to get single-fader control over all the drum mics, or all the backup singers, for example. Additionally, use 6 auxiliary outputs to send discrete monitor mixes to different areas of the stage, or route them to your outboard effects rack. There's even a complete talkback section (with its own dedicated mic input) for easy communication with performers, whether live or in the studio. Need more than sixteen input channels? Simply daisy-chain a second StudioLive unit and get perfectly synced 32-channel mixing, thanks to the board's FireWire capabilities.
Leave Your Outboard Gear At Home
Fat Channel and 32-bit effects processing are what make the StudioLive such a powerful -- and self-contained -- mixing solution. The intuitive Fat Channel design puts high-precision EQ, compression, gating and limiting on every channel. Simply press the select button above a channel's fader, and the Fat Channel display is populated with that input's settings, all laid out graphically before you. You'll be able to quickly and confidently make equalization and compression adjustments, and because all this processing is done internally, you don't have to rely on any external compressors, gates, or noise suppressors. Need a great snare drum sound fast? Easily pull up and tweak the onboard presets -- or save, copy, and paste your own settings. In addition to the Fat Channel processors on each channel, there's a full complement of aux-send effects, including studio-quality reverbs, echos, delays, choruses, and more, with the same 32-bit processing. The StudioLive 16.4.2 even sports a dedicated tap-tempo button for using time-based effects in live performances. You can even store and recall favorite effects "scenes" for each tune you do live. Now you can rock the same vocal delay live that worked so well in the studio. The PreSonus StudioLive 16.4.2 could be the next "touring member" of your band.
FireWire Support And Capture Recording Software
PreSonus has outfitted the StudioLive with impressive recording tools for both live and studio situations -- just like the name says. Hook the unit up to your Mac or PC and you get 32x16 audio recording over FireWire. Every input channel, every aux, and every subgroup can be routed to the FireWire inputs for impressive tracking flexibility. Best of all, the mixer ships with dedicated live recording software called Capture. Connect the FireWire cable, load Capture on your computer, arm your tracks and hit record...it's that easy. Of course, you can also use it with all the major multitrack recording software, like Pro Tools, Cubase, Nuendo, Logic, etc. And for studio situations, you can add multiple channels by connecting additional FireWire gear -- like a PreSonus FireTube or PreSonus ProjectStudio -- for virtually limitless expandability. You can even use the StudioLive 16.4.2 as a tape return mixer to add true analog summing to your digital sessions.
A digital mixer with onboard effects is a the perfect solution for gigging bands that want to record in their rehearsal studio. And if you're a live venue that's looking to offer recording capabilities to your artists, look no further. The powerful, affordable PreSonus StudioLive 16.4.2 16-Channel digital mixer/audio interface has arrived.
- 16 mic/line inputs have high-headroom class-A XMAX preamplifiers with 80 dB of mic gain and +48V phantom power, each on their own channel strip with 100mm faders and access to Fat Channel functions
- 4 subgroup buses, stereo/mono main outs, and 6 aux mixes with access to Fat Channel functions
- Fat Channel functions include pan, stereo link, phase reverse, high-pass filter, 4-band semi-parametric EQ, gate, compressor, limiter, and output assign - with 50 Fat Channel factory presets for drums, bass, guitars, keyboards and vocals
- Two FireWire ports; 32-in/18-out FireWire digital recording interface (24-bit/44.1 kHz and 48 kHz) with bundled Capture recording software and Studio One Artist Digital Audio Workstation software for Mac and PC - or record to any DAW with the FireWire interface
- High-definition analog-to-digital converters with 118 dB dynamic range
- Unlimited-headroom, 32-bit floating point digital mixing and effects processing
- Lighted Solo and Mute buttons and 15-LED ladder metering plus clip LED
- Talkback system with XLR input, output select and Talk button
- Rugged steel chassis; military-grade, quick-touch buttons
Virtual StudioLive (Mac/Win) and StudioLive Remote (iPad)
PreSonus Virtual StudioLive software for Mac and Windows provides bidirectional control of the StudioLive 16.0.2 digital mixer. Now you can see and control the most-used mixer parameters onscreen, including channel, subgroup, aux send, and main levels, as well as Fat Channel, effects, and graphic EQ settings.
Control the mixer with a mouse or watch VSL update when you adjust the hardware. Drag Fat Channel presets onto all 16 channels in seconds. Mute or solo every channel with a sweep of the mouse. Apply a Scene to the whole mixer just by dragging it on VSL from a list you see at all times. Collect and trade Scenes with other StudioLive users.
To top it off, you can control VSL - and therefore, your StudioLive mixer - from an Apple iPad. With PreSonus StudioLive Remote for iPad (free from the Apple App Store), you can walk around the venue and tweak the mix, in real time, from any location, fixing monitor mixes from the stage and eliminating sonic problems on the spot.
- Easy drag-and-drop workflow
- Drag presets directly to channels
- Drag parts of presets directly to components in the Fat Channel
- Adjust the Fat Channel gate, compressor, and EQ plus the graphic EQ and effects
- Quickly drop entire Scenes to the mixer to instantly load all channel, effects, and graphic EQ settings
- Load effects quickly by simply dragging presets into the GUI
- Use the mouse to quickly assign channels to multiple buses, mute, solo, etc.
- Store and organize presets on your computer, then transfer them to your mixer for that night's gig
- Create presets on the road, store them to the mixer, then drag them to your preset pool the next time you're connected to the computer
- Reorder presets in mixer memory and in the software to best fit your workflow for each gig
- Share presets with friends; drag presets out of the browser and email, IM, or disk-swap presets with other StudioLive owners
- See all of the most-used parameters on the mixer at once
- See the state of all Fat Channel settings at once
- See all aux mixes at once
- See the current effects and other parameter settings
- View and graphically edit all parametric EQ and compression curves
- View and graphically edit all graphic equalizer settings
- Do time-stamped backups of the entire mixer
- Remote control the mixer from an iPad using StudioLive Remote software.
Q-Mix Wireless Aux-Mix Control Software for iPhone and iPod touch
With QMix, you can enjoy wireless remote control of any PreSonus StudioLive(TM) mixer's aux sends from up to ten Apple iPhones or iPod Touches. Let performers create their monitor mixes from individual iPhones. With the Wheel of Me, you can select multiple "Me" channels and control their levels simultaneously. Requires a Mac or PC running PreSonus Virtual StudioLive.
- Runs on an Apple iPhone or iPod touch with iOS 4 or higher
- Provides wireless control over aux mixes in Virtual StudioLive and hence, over aux mixes in any StudioLive-series digital mixer
- Portrait view shows Wheel of Me, where you can select multiple "Me" channels and control their levels simultaneously
- Landscape view provides control of all aux-send levels and panning (for linked auxes)
- Aux mixes can be named (up to 10 characters)
- Control the auxes on any StudioLive mixer on the wireless network from one iPhone or iPod touch
- Multiple iPhones and iPod touches can control the same StudioLive
- Set permissions in VSL so each iPhone and iPod touch can control only one specific aux mix
Free from the Apple App Store
zZounds is an authorized dealer of
- 16 inputs, 6 auxiliary mixes, 4 subgroups
- 16 class A XMAX microphone preamplifiers
- Hi-Definition analog to digital converters (118dB dynamic range)
- Unlimited headroom 32-bit floating point digital mixing and effects processing
- Internal sample frequency 44.1kHz and 48kHz
- 22x18 FireWire digital recording interface
- Compact 19-inch rack-mountable rugged steel chassis
Fat Channel Select:
- High Pass Filter
- 4-band semi parametric EQ
- 2 Master DSP Effects (reverbs, delays, time-based effect, with load/save)
- Load/Save Mixer "Scenes" - all settings including fader levels with LED position matching
- 100mm long throw faders
- Military grade quick touch push buttons
- Fast-acting LED meters
- Talkback communication system
- CAPTURE integrated live recording software included
- Mac and Windows compatible
- New Universal Control version 1.11 software. Compatible with 64-bit Windows XP and Vista and will support 64-bit operation in Mac OS X 10.5 and later.
- Direct recording interface compatible with Logic, Nuendo, Cubase, Sonar, Digital Performer and more
- Length: 22.36 in. (568.06mm)
- Width (chassis only): 17.22 in. (437.40mm)
- Width (with rack ears): 19 in. (482.60mm)
- Maximum Height: 6.90 in.
- Dimensions and Weight in Packaging
- Shipping Weight: 41 lbs
StudioLive is the most powerful and flexible sixteen-channel digital mixer the world has seen. Loaded with sixteen high headroom XMAX microphone preamplifiers, built-in 32x18 FireWire recording and playback engine, "Fat-Channel" processing with 4-band EQ's, compressors, limiters and gates, DSP effects, six aux buses, four sub-groups, extensive LED metering, mixer save and recall, channel-strip save/recall/copy/paste, talkback and more, breaking boundaries for music performance and production.
Loaded with Racks of Effects
StudioLive is loaded with everything needed for professional live sound production totaling 28 compressors, 28 limiters, 28 gates, 28 high pass filters, 2 stereo reverb/delay's, 2 master stereo limiters and more, saving you loads of money and trips from the trailer during load in/out. All digital effects are created and processed with 32-bit floating point precision for maximum sonic performance and enhanced musicality.
Best in Both Worlds
StudioLive seamlessly integrates a professional digital mixer with a complete multi-channel recording system delivering the most creative environment available for both live performance and studio music production. Take your recording studio to the gig, and have your soundman record and even enhance your shows.
Get creative in the studio. Record with or without Fat Channel or DSP effects processing. Create mixes, loops, sound effects and more, then bring them out to your show and mix them with the live performance. Process channels using your favorite plug-ins, and completely automate your entire show using your favorite music recording and production software. StudioLive completely revolutionizes music production opening endless creative possibilities.
Powerful and Easy Digital Mixing
StudioLive features an innovative and intuitive "QuickTouch" design allowing fast access to every parameter, mix, effect, and aux, allowing quick and creative control during music production. Load and save functions are also included to create snapshots of channel settings, save effect settings, totally recalling a mix, and more. All digital mixing and effects processing is done with 32-bit floating point precision for unmatched musicality.
Fat Channel (EQ, Compressor, Limiter, Gate, on every channel)
The heart of StudioLive is the "Fat Channel" engaged by pressing any "select" button, and features extensive equalization and dynamics available to every input channel, every aux output, every subgroup output, and main output. High pass filter, and four-band semi-parametric equalization algorithms are based on PreSonus' custom-designed digital EyeQ equalizer, delivering extremely musical results. Also included in the Fat Channel are compressors, limiters and gates modeled after PreSonus' award-winning ACP88 for complete dynamics control.
Two programmable 32-bit stereo DSP effects engines are loaded in StudioLive with a wide range of reverbs, delays, and time-based effects with easy to use parameter adjustment, tap tempo, store, recall, and scene selection for ultimate creative flexibility.
Load and Save Your Settings
StudioLive allows you to save all of your digital settings for quick setup and recall. Save "scenes" (all settings) including fader levels with LED position matching, channel strips (Fat Channel), and individual DSP effects for ultimate ease, quickness and control.
Professional Sound Quality
StudioLive spares no expense when it comes to sound quality. All digital mixing is done with ultra-high headroom 32-bit floating point processing for optimal sonic performance. Analog input and output is converted to digital audio with the highest-quality digital converters available delivering dynamic range of +118dB for spectacular sonic results and unmatched musicality.
Built-in 22X18 FireWire Recording
StudioLive includes PreSonus' award-winning FireWire technology with JetPLL synchronization delivering 22 channels of recording and 18 channels of simultaneous playback. Each FireWire recording channel can be set to record either pre or post Fat-Channel signal processing giving total flexibility and power. It can also return 18 FireWire playback channels from your recording and production software for remixing and live performance with pre-recorded tracks, as well as studio mixing using the mixer's internal signal processing and summing algorithms. It's compatible with Mac and Windows audio recording and production software including Logic, Nuendo, Cubase, Sonar, Digital Performer, Audition and more.
Integrated Multitrack Recording Software- CAPTURE
StudioLive 16.4.2 also ships complete with CAPTURE multitrack recording software so you can effortlessly record your shows right out of the box. CAPTURE software was designed to interface with the unit perfectly to allow instant setup and recording of performances. With the look and feel of industry standard digital multitrack hard disk recorders, CAPTURE software is instantly familiar to every musician and engineer. HDR software gives you full editing capability as well as export to wav file formats for compatibility with ProTools, Cubase, Nuendo, Logic, Sonar and all other recording and music production software. Or you can play back your recorded tracks via FireWire and mix your tracks with the mixing power and capabilities, then record the final mix back to CAPTURE; Now that's power!
XMAX Class A Preamplifiers
StudioLive includes sixteen custom-designed high-voltage, discrete, XMAX Class A microphone preamplifiers for all types of microphones.The job of a microphone preamplifier is to boost microphone level signals to line level so that the signal can be converted from analog to digital. This mic to line boost is generally a preamplification of over 400 times the voltage of the original mic level signal. This preamplification stage is one of the most important stages that the signal will go through before converted to digital, and is why a high performance preamplifier is important to achieving great results.
All XMAX preamplifiers are built with the same three elements:
High Voltage - The XMAX preamplifier runs on power rails of 30V. Most off the shelf op amp based designs run on power rails of 10V to 18V. Higher voltage power rails deliver more headroom, deeper lows, smoother highs and an overall fuller sound.
Discrete - No op amps. Only transistors, resistors and capacitors. Op amps add noise, coloration and harshness to a signal. Discrete designs deliver ultra-low noise and transparency.
Class A - When a circuit is running in Class A mode the circuit is always in an "on" state operating at its optimal voltage requirements. Class A mode has zero crossover distortion and delivers purer, clearer and more musical sonics than class A/B designs which are found in most op-amp circuits.
The net result of the XMAX preamp design is high headroom, low noise, wide dynamic range and wide frequency range, and most importantly, musicality and transparency - smooth highs, solid deep lows, and everything in between.
Link Multiple Units
Sometimes 16 input channels are not enough. No problem! You can use the second FireWire port to link two StudioLive 16.4.2 mixers for 32 channels of recording or to combine up to 4 mixers for 64 channels in live performance, with sample-accurate synchronization between units. Now, you will never have to worry that your needs will outgrow your mixing capacity; when you need more channels, just plug in a second unit, turn on its link ID, and your master StudioLive will detect it and merge the buses to the master unit. You don't even need a computer to cascade multiple units; simply connect them with a FireWire cable. You also can daisy-chain one or more FireStudio-series interfaces (such as the FireStudio Tube and FireStudio Project) with a StudioLive to provide additional inputs for recording.