Fender '57 Champ: A Little Amp With Lots of ToneFender's classic combo amp is back! In its latest incarnation, the Fender '57 Custom Champ guitar combo amplifier is a tribute to the vintage Fender Champion 800 first released in 1948 -- a low-wattage tube amplifier with a simple yet tonally beautiful amplification circuit. The Fender '57 Champ amp of the late 1950s is well known as the small-but-mighty tone machine that belongs in every serious guitarist's collection. The release of the '57 Champ adds this iconic, one-of-a-kind product to Fender's '57 Tweed Series.
Low Wattage, High QualityDon't be fooled by the wattage -- at just 5 watts of power, the '57 Custom Champ and its predecessors represent Fender's lowest-wattage tube amp ever, but it's that low wattage that makes this amp ideal for studio use and practice sessions. At 5 watts, the '57 Custom Champ is easy to overdrive in a small space without cranking the amp up to deafening volumes, allowing it to deliver a classic rock crunch even in the smallest of spaces. But it's not just about overdrive, lower volumes is where the '57 Custom Champ really shines, with silky smooth tones and vintage twang you'd expect to get only from a real vintage amplifier.
Rock HistoricalThe tweed Champ is a terrific practice amp, and has been a prized possession of countless pro players for its great sounding, low-output, easy-to-record capabilities. It's well documented that this model has been used on recordings by Johnny Cash, Keith Richards and Eric Clapton (it's the "Layla" amp). And with its rich tone and touch-sensitive response, the Champ is great for making cool new music today.
Classic ConstructionThe '57 Custom Champ is a tribute to classic rock's favorite studio amp -- the amp used in literally hundreds, if not thousands of classic guitar recordings -- and this reissue has been faithfully designed with classic features in mind. Sporting a narrow panel cabinet design with tweed finish and Fender Bassman-style grille cloth, the amp looks like a real 1950s amplifier. And equipped with a simple silverface control strip featuring just a single volume control and no tone controls, all of which are driven by a specially selected tube amp and hand-wound, period-accurate amplifier circuit, the Fender '57 Custom Champ doesn't only look like an amp from the 1950s -- it sounds like one too.
This faithful hand-wired recreation of the 1957 Champ amp is not just for collectors or retro-minded guitarists. Any player seeking the ultimate in low-powered, top-quality tube performance need look no further!
Features:- Faithful reissue of Fender's classic 1957 narrow-panel tweed Champ amplifier
- 5-watt hand-wired tube combo amplifier for guitar
- Specially designed single 8-inch Weber speaker with alnico magnet and 4-ohms total impedance
- Vintage 5F1 circuit (the 6th iteration of the 1950s Fender Champ circuit)
- Simple design: one 12AY7 preamp tube, one 6V6 power amp tube, and one 5Y3GT rectifier tube
- Fender Pure Vintage yellow capacitors and Schumacher transformers
- Two 1/4-inch guitar inputs (normal and bright)
- Chrome control panel with classic metal lever on/off toggle switch, vintage-style pre-LED red power indicator, and a single volume pot
- Tapered vintage-style "chickenhead" control knobs
- Fender Bassman-style grille cloth
- Finger-joined solid pine cabinet construction
- Leather handle strap with chrome mounting hardware
- Vintage-style metal Fender logo badge
- Includes tweed cloth protective cover
- Unit weighs 15 pounds
zZounds is an authorized dealer of Fender products.
- Model Name: Fender '57 Custom Champ
- Model Number: 8160500100 (120V USA)
- Series: Custom Series
- Type: All Tube
- Output: 5 watts into 4 ohms
- Speakers: 1-8" Weber Special Design 4 ohm, 10 watt, Alnico Magnet Speaker
- Ohms: 4 ohms
- Channels: Single Channel with Two Inputs: (Normal and Bright)
- Controls: Volume
- Tube Compliment: 1 x 6V6, 1 x 12AY7, 1 x 5Y3GT (Rectifier)
- Covering: Genuine Lacquered Tweed with Oxblood Grille Cloth
- Dimensions: Height: 13.5" (34.3 cm),
- Width: 12.5" (31.8 cm),
- Depth: 7.8" (19.8 cm)
- Unit Weight: 16.5 lb (7.5 kg)
- Shipping Weight: 23 lbs
- Footswitch: N/A
- Cover: Includes a protective amp cover
- Accessories: Fitted Brown Cover
- Weight, Dimensions, and Manufacturer Part Numbers
- Base Item
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN):
- Warehouse Resealed
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN):
If you have additional warranty questions, please contact the manufacturer at 800-488-1818
Fender '57 Custom Champ Guitar Combo AmpThe Fender 5F1 circuit used in the '57 Custom Champ has become legendary for its heightened dynamic response and sweet sounding tube overdrive when pushed. A 12AY7 preamp tube matched to a classic 6V6 power amp tube generates this in-demand overdrive. When the volume is cranked, this little wonder sings with the natural compression and rich even-order harmonics of a power tube working at peak output in Class A topology. The 8" 4-ohm Weber Special Design alnico speaker stays true to the classic Champ sound, compressing to create fat tone at higher levels while more than ably reproducing the raunchy tones found at the top of the amp's volume knob. The hand-wired circuit includes newly sourced yellow coupling capacitors chosen for their authentically vintage Fender tone--sparkly cleans and creamy overdrive with smooth top end and round mids.
Of course this amp sounds great; it also retains classic Champ visual appeal--lacquered tweed, chickenhead knob, leather handle and 1/4" inputs for low or high output instruments are all here. In the studio, the 5-watt design means you'll be able to explore the full range of available tones without overloading sensitive microphones (or your ears). Updated components, hand-wired craftsmanship and a classic circuit design all combine to create the '57 Custom Champ, a style-spanning performer. Includes a protective cover.
Features:- Hand-Wired Circuitry on Eyelet Board
- Finger Joined Solid Pine Open Back Cabinet
- Brown Leather Handle
- Black Chicken-Head Control Knobs
- Red Jeweled Pilot Light
- Toggle On/Off Switch
- Red Jeweled Pilot Light
- Original Class A 5F1 circuit with newly sourced Yellow Coupling Capacitors
- One 12AY7 preamp tube matched to a classic 6V6 power amp tube
- Single 8" 4-ohm Weber Special Design alnico speaker
- Schumacher transformers
- Includes a protective cover