Fender Jazz Basses are usually associated outstanding playability and warm, punchy tones. Fretless Jazz Basses take things step further offering a completely unhindered action along the neck and rich, resonant vibrations between the strings and fingerboard. The American Standard Fretless Jazz Bass uses upgraded components and outstanding electronics to deliver a fretless wonder worthy of Jaco himself.
Updated for 2012The American Standard Fretless includes two Fender Custom Shop '60s Jazz Bass pickups. These powerful single-coils capture the magical tones that made the J Bass an instant classic in the early '60s. Round low-end textures are topped with punchy mids and well-defined highs. These tonal characteristics work especially well when paired with the smooth, jazzy groves of fretless-style playing. Other upgrades for include a redesigned high mass bridge for better sustain and stability, and a new thiner undercoating which allows the wood to breathe more openly and enhances resonance through the entire instrument.
The Fender Fretless TraditionAccording to many, Bill Wyman of the Rolling Stones was the first remove the frets from his bass guitar. While Wyman was looking for a way to eliminate the annoying rattle that was showing up on Stones recordings, countless bass players since have embraced the fretless concept for the liberating feel, warm tone, and enhanced sense of connection between player and instrument. Prolific rock session musician Tony Franklin and jazz fusionist Steve Bailey are just two examples of bassist who made their careers using fretless Fenders. And, of course, there's Jaco Pastorius who shattered previously conceptions of what the electric bass could be with his iconic fretless J Bass.
Features:- Fretless rosewood fingerboard
- Maple neck with hand-rolled edges and posiflex graphite neck support rods
- Comfortable modern C-shaped neck profile
- Dual Fender Custom Shop '60s Jazz Bass pickups for classic J Bass tone
- High mass vintage bridge for great sustain and stability
- Included hardshell case
For fretless newcomers and vets alike, the Fender Fretless J Bass is an absolute standard in its class. Where playing jazz, funk, R&B or any other genre, this bass is equipped to conquer new musical territory as only a fretless can.
zZounds is an authorized dealer of Fender products.
- Series: American Standard
- Body Shape: Jazz Bass
- Body: Alder, Gloss Urethane Finish
- Neck: Maple, Modern C Shape
- Neck Finish: Urethane; Satin Finish on Back, Gloss Finish on Headstock Front with Buffed Fingerboard
- Fingerboard: Rosewood
- Fingerboard Radius: 9.5 inches (24.1 cm)
- Frets: Fretless
- Scale Length: 34 inches (86.36 cm)
- Nut Width: 1.5 inches (38.1 mm)
- String Nut: Synthetic Bone
- Truss Rod: Posiflex Graphite Neck Support Rods
- Truss Rod Nut: 3/16 inch Hex Adjustment
- Pickups: Custom Shop '60s Jazz Bass Single Coil Bridge and Neck
- Controls: Volume 1. (Neck Pickup), Volume 2. (Bridge Pickup), Master Tone
- Hardware: Chrome
- Tuning Keys: Fender/Hipshot Vintage Keys with Tapered Shafts
- Bridge: HMV, High Mass Vintage, (Strings-Thru-Body or Topload)
- Control Knobs: Black Plastic Knobs
- Included Accessories: Molded rectangular SKB case, Cable, Strap, Polishing Cloth
- Dimensions and Weight in Packaging
- 3-Color Sunburst
- Shipping Weight: 27 lbs
If you have additional warranty questions, please contact the manufacturer at 800-488-1818
Product DescriptionThe Fender American Standard Jazz Fretless Bass guitar is a graceful and beautifully voiced instrument that features upgraded Fender Custom Shop '60s Jazz Bass single-coil pickups. These incredible pickups give the American Standard Jazz fretless bass great punch, clarity and a smoothness that makes this fretless sing.
Features- Fender Custom Shop '60s Jazz Bass single-coil pickups for a clear, smooth tone
- High Mass Vintage bridge for great resonance and sustain
- Fender/Hipshot Vintage tuning keys with tapered shafts
- Posiflex Graphite neck support rods
- Modern C shape Maple neck for a great fast feel
zZounds Expert Review
I have really fallen for the American Standard Fretless Jazz Bass. I always knew it was an iconic instrument, made famous by the legendary Jaco Pastorius -- and now I've been lucky enough to get my hands on this bass. The neck falls right into my hand, and plays super smooth. Playing it is totally effortless -- fingers glide over the fingerboard. I found this bass had the growling fretless tone, coupled with clarity and bite. This bass is at home playing swelling melodic lines, as well as staccato rhythmic figures. If you are looking for a fretless bass, this is the place to start. For me, the Fender American Standard Jazz fretless is the standard for which fretless basses are measured by.
- Martin, Bass Specialist, zZounds Guitar Expert Team