The original Mbox audio interface was released a decade ago with one goal: to provide an affordable hardware entry point to users who wanted access to Pro Tools, the world's industry-standard music recording and production software - then and now. Ever since its first version, the Mbox has been ubiquitous as a Pro Tools hardware interface. Let's take a look at what makes the third-generation of this legendary interface worthy of the Mbox name -- and far more than just a Pro Tools dongle.
The Third-Generation Mbox
What makes one USB audio interface better than another? For starters, the signal path, including the microphone preamps and analog-to-digital converters. When a too-hot analog signal hits a cheap digital audio interface, the converters essentially run out of ones and zeros -- resulting in ugly digital clipping, and unusable audio. But set your levels too low, and you'll compromise the dynamic range of your recording. The Mbox solves this problem by adding the same soft-clip limiter circuits found in high-end Pro Tools HD interfaces, so you can accommodate that rogue hot moment in your signal without trashing a whole take. It's all part of the Mbox's radically upgraded mic preamps and 96 kHz/24-bit analog-to-digital converters. In addition to two channels of analog I/O, there are two channels of S/PDIF digital I/O, and the mic/line inputs double as two instrument DI inputs; just plug your guitar, bass, or keyboard in to the front panel instead of the back. The back panel also includes MIDI I/O.
Extreme Build Quality, Extreme Portability
Enclosed in a substantial, 1/8" thick metal casing, the Mbox is clearly built from the ground up to travel. Its outstanding build quality is clear, with knob shafts and jacks firmly secured to the all-metal casing. This is one USB 2.0-bus-powered audio interface that's not only small
enough to take to rehearsals, shows, studios, and outdoor field recording -- it's also clearly built to withstand any amount of abuse kicking around in your bag. But for all its portability, the Mbox doesn't skimp on hardware features: it has its own onboard hardware reverb and a built-in guitar tuner.
- Professional, dramatically upgraded mic preamps and analog-to-digital converters
- Soft-clip limiter
- Built in hardware reverb and guitar tuner
- Bus-powered USB 2.0 for ultimate portability
- Includes Avid Pro Tools 9 with free upgrade to Pro Tools 10
- Compatible with Apple Logic, Ableton Live, Cubase, and more
True, Avid has made it possible to run Pro Tools without an interface plugged in. But why go without, when Avid's Mbox is so decidedly road-worthy? Whether you're using the included Pro Tools, or any of the other major recording software apps that the Mbox supports, this is one piece of audio hardware you'll never want to be without.
zZounds is an authorized dealer of
Avid Audio products.
Professionals around the world have long been using Pro Tools systems to create award-winning music and sound for film and TV. Now you can get the same world-class results in your personal studio with Avid Pro Tools Mbox--a complete, integrated, computer-based music creation and production system. Designed by the same engineering team responsible for the high-end Pro Tools HD systems, the Mbox hardware interface features a premium analog signal path and high-performance converters for exceptional sound. Pro Tools software is included to deliver everything you need to compose, record, edit, and mix music. The Avid Mbox also provides third-party drivers for rock-solid integration with nearly every popular audio recording application.
- Compatible with most major audio software
- Pro Tools LE, Logic, Live, Cubase, and more
- Bus-powered USB 2.0 connection for maximum mobility
- Professional-grade circuitry and converters deliver exceptional audio performance
- Up to 24-bit, 96 kHz sample rates
- Soft-clip limiter lets you track hot signals without clipping--providing a classic overdriven tape saturation sound
- Built-in guitar tuner
- Onboard DSP offers flexible cue mixing and reverb effects
- Assignable Pro Tools multi-function button on interface gives you fast access to software functions
- Includes Pro Tools 9 Software
The Avid Mbox USB interface features advanced recording technology for exceptional quality. A premium analog signal path and high-performance converters deliver pristine 24-bit, 96kHz sound. Stringent testing standards ensure rock-solid performance in the most demanding environments.
The Mbox interface is also compatible with other major recording applications, so you can make music any way you want. All-new drivers provide superior performance with Logic, Live, Record, Reason, Fruity Loops, Cubase, Nuendo, Sonar, and more. So you can use your favorite third-party DAW from start to finish or record with the included Pro Tools software to ensure your sessions are compatible with pro studios around the world. No matter how you work, you'll sound great with Mbox.
The Mbox interface is packed with tons of advanced features that make it easy to get great results. Mbox boasts the same professional-grade soft-clip limiter circuit found in the high-end Pro Tools HD 192 I/O audio interface, so you can track much hotter signals without overloading the inputs and clipping. Built-in reverb helps you deliver more inspiring vocal and instrumental performances--without taxing your computer processor. The integrated guitar tuner enables you to tune your guitar, bass, and other instruments directly from the interface. And a Pro Tools multi-function button makes it easy to access common software parameters such as tap session tempo, start/stop record, and create a new track, right from the front of the interface. With Mbox, your sessions will move at the speed of your creativity.
- Award-winning Pro Tools recording, editing, and mixing
- 48 simultaneous stereo audio tracks (expandable with Toolkit options)
- Includes over 70 professional effects and virtual instruments
- Professional MIDI sequencing with dedicated MIDI Editor window
- Integrated Score Editor based on award-winning Sibelius notation software
- Full Elastic Time and Elastic Pitch to easily adjust timing and pitch on your tracks
- Unique Beat Detective LE automatic groove analysis and correction tool
- ReWire support for streaming your favorite applications right into Pro Tools
- Huge selection of compatible third-party plug-ins and software options
- Works on Windows and Mac computers