Zoom H5 Handheld Digital Recorder

Zoom H5 Handheld Digital Recorder

Record onto 4 tracks -- anywhere -- with the Zoom H5's X/Y stereo microphone pair and dual XLR inputs. This recorder also works with any Zoom input capsule!

Overall:
Overall:
Submitted June 8, 2015 by Joe G in Chicago, IL
"Good value for a 96k recorder"
I purchased the Zoom H5 primarily for sound effects recording and film production. If you don't need the multi-channel capabilities of its more popular sibling the H6, the Zoom H5 is a solid portable recorder and comes at a great price. It's comfortable to hold; I can access many of the vital controls with my thumb while holding the H5 in the palm of my hand. The H5 does actually have multichannel capabilities as well- you can record 4 tracks simultaneously, though the sample rate caps out at 48kHz when doing this. Still, that's fine for indie film shoots where you might have a couple of radio mics as well as your boom. The H5 uses the same interchangeable-mic setup as the H6, so if you don't want to use the provided X-Y module, you can swap out for the M/S module or an extra set of XLR ins (these are sold separately). This is a fantastic feature that really makes the H5 (and 6) a flexible tool that's useful across a number of applications. The H5 uses standard SD cards to store data; I prefer this to the proprietary cards used by the last portable field recorder I used. Sound quality is good; the X-Y mics are shockmounted so that handling noise is minimized. I also purchased the accessory kit which includes a fuzzy "dead cat" windscreen that works very well. My one quibble is that the placement of the gain knob on the X-Y module makes it a challenge to get the windscreen on firmly while still being able to adjust the gain.That's a minor issue, though. Overall I'm very happy with this unit.
I've been a guitar player for 40 years, and a sound engineer/designer for 25.
Rock, Jazz, Blues, experimental, Sound design for theatre, film and advertising.
9 of 9 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted January 7, 2015 by Roland R in Baltimore, MD
"Zoom H5 Handheld Digital Recorder"
Used the H5 with the XYH6 X-Y capsule set to 120 degree separation to record a holiday symphony concert. The recorder was 5 rows into the audience on a tripod. The recorder was set to 24bit 48K. Excellent sound stage width, great clarity to the recording and good bass. Everyone, including the conductor was very pleased with results.
48 years, play with local symphony and freelance live and studio
Classical, Jazz, various commercial styles
8 of 8 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted February 27, 2019 by Christopher Rowe in Omaha, NE
"I Love my Zoom H5"
This is the best entry-level to the professional audio recorder. I used this model on two movies for remote recording and dialogue. Its great as a podcasting recorder, or anything really. It truly is a recording studio in your hand. The only thing advice I can give is to stock up on batteries as it goes through them pretty quickly if you are recording audio for film. I also recommend using the best quality batteries. This is my go to!
Professional Audio Production
Spoken word, Dialogue.
3 of 3 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted April 20, 2017 by Brian Staples
"Zoom H5"
The packaging of this product is great comes with a hard shell case that will protect the unit only . The build of this unit is extremely sturdy it feels solid . The sound quality is awesome , we do blogs and podcasts from live shows in the settings add compressor and it does a wonderful job of filtering out unwanted noises (ie band playing in the background while subject that is talking, picked up great) . On quieter locations run to individual mics 2 with phantom power and the onboard LR mics does a good job also . Recently picked up the XLR capsule have not had a chance to use yet but the reviews show it is not phantom powered so keep that in mind if you are looking for more than 2 phantom powered inputs . The manufacturer support is 3 stars have not had to use so I have no rating for it.
Studio owner , blogger, producer
mainly hip hop r&b .. but also a little Rock
1 of 1 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted September 2, 2015 by Julian Robson in Winston-Salem, NC
"Just got started with my H5"
I'm using my H5 to record live street performance as well as my solo guitar and voice. I love the clarity of sound I'm getting. It wasn't as intuitive to get started as I might have hoped but watching Golden Spiral's demo of it cleared that up.
Guitar, Voice, Songwriting - Founder of Salem Revival Project
Indie folk-jazz
3 of 4 people (75%) people found this review helpful. Did you?