Yamaha MODX6 Keyboard Synthesizer, 61-Key

Yamaha MODX6 Keyboard Synthesizer, 61-Key

Take a full complement of excellent Yamaha synth sounds wherever you go -- the MODX6 is lightweight, portable, and packed with cutting-edge synth technology.

Overall:
Overall:
Submitted January 24, 2019 by Kent S in 85234, AZ
"MODX raises the bar"
I'm a professional keyboardist and longtime Yamaha user. I've owned the S-90 and currently have a MOXF8 and MX-61. I bought the MODX6 to replace the MX-61 and I'm blown away by the huge leap in sound quality. Perhaps best of all is that Yamaha finally--FINALLY--made a user friendly board. The video interface is very intuitive and I figured out the basic navigation in just minutes. The sound quality is not just a little better than my MX-61, but a huge improvement. Everyone in my band commented on the difference. The build quality is much better than the MX-61. The buttons on the MOX and MX line tend to fail, but I notice that Yamaha has upgraded the control buttons on the MODX series. Also, while it is light at 14 pounds it has a heftier, more solid "feel" than the MX-61. I'm a performance player and don't use my boards a lot to create new sounds, sequences, etc., so the bells and whistles don't have much appeal to me. (Probably why I don't own a Nord, although they are great instruments) That said, this board is capable of a lot. For a sub-$2000 synth this thing is loaded and sounds great. Yamaha hits a home run. Now I'm anxious to replace my MOXF8 with the MODX8.
Professional keyboardist. Playing for several decades.
R&B/funk/jazz primarily. I'm classically trained and play all styles.
24 of 25 people (96%) people found this review helpful. Did you?