Yamaha FG830 Folk Acoustic Guitar

Yamaha FG830 Folk Acoustic Guitar

Get rich overtones and improved sustain thanks to the rosewood back and sides, scalloped bracing and traditional western body style of this Yamaha FG830.

Overall:
5 out of 5 stars
4 out of 5 stars
Submitted December 9, 2021 by phillip L in Barnesville, GA
"A great value"
Overall: 4.5 out of 5 stars
I don’t play acoustic guitar all the time as I am mostly an electric guy but, when I do I have a very specific tone that I like. If you ever listen to bluegrass music you will hear this super thick booming tone from the guitars. It’s a tone that a certain brand that starts with an “M” is known for. Having owned one of their instruments in the past, the HD-28 I am very familiar with that tone. I won’t even begin to say that this is “just the same” or “every bit as good” because reality is that it isn’t. The M guitar has a magic to it that nothing else has, the tone is so deep and clear that words can’t describe it. I had to sell that guitar due to financial hardships and I have been chasing that sound ever since. I am happy to report that this Yamaha FG830 is as close as I have gotten. Since selling my M guitar I have had a handful of acoustics, some semi pricey and others fairly cheap but every one of them fell short of what I was hoping for. A friend of mine even has one of the “budget” M guitars and it is not in the same league as the HD but, this Yamaha? It is so much closer to “that” sound than even the more expensive M guitar that my friend has. To start the guitar is very beautiful, the rosewood look of the sides and back with the spruce top and binding make it look very much like a 28 but, this one also has neck and headstock binding which makes it look even fancier than the “real” thing. The finish on the guitar is a deep gloss, even on the headstock. When it comes to looks this guitar absolutely has “IT” The neck is also something to mention, it’s so good that it deserves it’s own review. The finish is satin so it’s very smooth and fast, it doesn’t stick to your hand when you try to play. The fretboard is glassy smooth and the frets are very well finished. I had no rough edges or protruding frets on mine. A little lemon oil on the fretboard went a long way and now it is such a player! I also wanted to mention that there are no uneven frets or buzz anywhere on the neck! The action was slightly higher than my preference but a few minutes with some sand paper took care of that. Now, on to the important part, TONE! As I mentioned before, this is NOT an “M” guitar BUT, this is the closest I have found and it’s less than $400! The lows are booming but clear, the highs are crisp with excellent sustain, the midrange is pronounced and makes the instrument stand out. Chords are very clear and each note is decernable, clarity is a big part of the sound that this guitar produces. If you’re doing bluegrass licks those hammer ons and slides really pop on this thing. At the same time when you tune to D the low notes just boom with authority. The guitar just thumps you in the chest and has that “kerrang” that a great acoustic produces. I truly cannot say enough good things about this instrument. IF you have $3,000 to spend you may do better with the big boys but, if you’re like me and working on a budget I truly do not believe that you can do better than this one. I have contemplated purchasing a mid range guitar in the $1,000 to $1,500 range but I then realize that they won’t top the Yamaha. The only thing I have played that betters this guitar is the high end stuff, $3k+ So, to summarize, if you’re on a budget, looking for a guitar that you don’t have to cry about scratches on, OR if you just want a fantastic instrument at an unbelievable price THIS is your instrument. Yamaha has done such an amazing job that it’s hard to believe that they pulled it off! They have made something for the rest of us, something that fills the gap that we who cannot pay as much for a guitar as for a vehicle have to deal with. Thank you, as always, to zZounds for a wonderful experience. Fast shipping, and pay as you play!
Guitar player for 20 years
Rock, bluegrass, country
5 of 5 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted February 2, 2018 by Romeo C
""Affordable Rosewood Body.""
Overall: 5 out of 5 stars
Okay, I don't have to say "I bought this from zZounds" coz they will not allow me to write this review if the FG830 I have is not from them. So, I don't have to say it. Off course fast delivery. It was so fast, the guitar delivered to my house right before I hung up with zZounds. 'Nuff said. I opened the box, my eyes went cross and hypnotized coz of the outstanding beautiful look of the FG830. I fell in love with the 1st strum. I kept playing for an hour, I even forgot to tune it. That is how good it zZounds. Very bright, easy to play. Sustain is incredibly long and maintains its tone. I would say... it is just as loud and bright as the other $1,000 - $3,000 acoustic guitars. But the FG830's "highs and lows" stand out. It has a very wide range of EQs. I have Martins, Gibs and Taylor. This model can line up them. it has a beautiful bass punch. Tone is energetic. Well built and designed. It has very nice white binding finish on the side. The abalone on the soundhole is just elegant and a sign of upgrades. Action is perfect OOTBox. I believe that the combo of Rosewood body and scaloped bracing make this model sounds like those expensive over-priced guitars. ACOUSTIC SOUNDS DO NOT NEED TO BE EXPENSIVE TO SOUND GREAT! Eventhough some Yamahas are not made in America -their qualities are superb and matched or better than the top leading luthiers from Japan, USA, Germany, Philippines, Mexico, Brazil etc. - they are made for Americans. What I notice so far, the one thing missing and you can't find on this model is bad quality.
20+yrs, some bands, gigs, hobby
BIGTIME acoustic, Pop rock, Ballad, British style 60s, RnB, folk, keyboard and drums etc.
49 of 53 people (92%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted April 7, 2022 by a customer from ovresort.com
"Simply great"
Overall: 5 out of 5 stars
I own a "Bob Taylor" 814ce, I think it's a 2006 or 2007. I've got an "Andy Powers" K24ce, this is maybe a 2017, not sure. I also own a 2019 Gibson Hummingbird Chroma. I've got a few other cheaper guitars as well, and I've owned a few more that I've simply given away to would be players. The 814 is a sitka spruce / indian rosewood combo and it's awesome. The K24 is koa and the chroma is maplewood. Both are more mellow tones and visually stunning. The Gibson is the most 'playable' acoustic, ever!! I bought the 830 having owned a couple of yammys (a 12 and a 2nd hand six) it's not a composite, its all wood, and just a head's up - it's from China. I got this guitar to keep in my office, to replace a little martin backpack I had on the wall previously. The 830 is an awesome guitar.

Submitted April 14, 2021 by a customer from aol.com
"Big body big sound"
Overall: 5 out of 5 stars
FG830 is a great gift from my wife.Setup was easy. Truss rod needed 1/4 of a turn plus about an 1/8 more.Took the twangy sound out of strings.Intonation perfect.String height low E 92 high E 80.Great sound for finger picking too.Didn't mark manufacture support Didn't use it.Great price, workmanship excellent. zZounds shipping excellent. Thank you zZounds!And Yamaha!
1 of 1 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted July 1, 2019 by James S in St. George, KS
"Amazing value!"
Overall: 5 out of 5 stars
I'm a bit shocked by how good this guitar is. I had been looking for a starter guitar to get for my nephew, and wanted to get the best I could find. I had read tons of great reviews about the fg8XX series guitars, but was a little worried about string spacing, since I had tried out an AC3R whose spacing was too tight for comfortable fingerpicking. They both have a 1 & 11/16 inch nut, but there seems to be a big difference in the pin spacing at the bridge, because the FG830 strings feel much wider spaced, and very comfortable to fingerpick (I learned on a wide S&P6 that is 1 & 3/4).The sound is incredible. It's not just a great sound for a starter guitar, it's a great sound for a guitar, period. More like a starter 'gigging quality' guitar. I was expecting a weak and thin sound for the price, but it has a surprisingly growly Martin-like bass to complement a really well-balanced and modern sounding tone. Incredible sound for a guitar with laminate back and sides rather than solid wood. This guitar is staying with me now, lol. I'll have to get my nephew another FG830 for his birthday (still half a year away).
Amateur acoustic guitar player/songwriter for 20 years, now getting serious and starting to gig
Melodic fingertapping, fingerstyle, Americana, folk rock
10 of 12 people (83%) people found this review helpful. Did you?