Warm Audio WA47JR Large-Diaphragm Condenser Microphone

Warm Audio WA47JR Large-Diaphragm Condenser Microphone

With the same k47-style capsule as Warm Audio's flagship '47 replica, this 3-pattern FET condenser delivers incredibly natural sound at an unheard-of price.

Overall:
Overall:
Submitted August 9, 2018 by Chris B in Minot, ND
"Need a second kick drum mic?"
We've all heard that the U47 FET is a studio staple as an outside kick mic. Having a limited supply of microphones, I'd never been able to dual-mic kicks in my teeny little project studio. I'd heard the legends of the tubeless German wonder, so when Warm Audio announced this little bugger, I began foaming at the mouth. I've finally managed to get my hands on one, and while my experience with it is limited to one day at present, I can report that this is going to do wonders for my kick drum recordings. Now, instead of trying to do the dance between adequate levels of beater and body with my trusty Beta 52, I can position that sucker for optimum SLAP and bring in this new friend to round out the bottom end. Delicious! Of course I plan to try this mic elsewhere too. The kick out placement doesn't exactly tell me, for example, how this mic will handle the annoying nasaly frequencies in my voice. I intend to find out, but right now, I feel as if I've already gotten my money's worth (and more) from this microphone. This is a seriously ridiculous value.
Semi Professional Player, Amateur Recordist
Country and Rock
7 of 7 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted March 9, 2019 by Charles S in Sudan, TX
"Excellent Mic"
Excellent quality mic. Sounds really smooth. Not brittle. Sounds better than the Neumann tlm 103.
Excellent mic really impressed. Sounds better than the Neumann tlm 103. Very smooth I use with a tube preamp. Can't go wrong with this mic. Now I'm curious about the Wa87, and wa251.
Engineer producer, keyboardist.
Country, Rock, Pop and Contemporary Christian
3 of 3 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted January 5, 2020 by Addison Eilers in Montague, MI
"Bang for the buck!"
I snagged a pair of these for a big record, mainly to add a different color for a room sound. I ended up popping them over the drums for a VERY full sound. I could easily pull off a full sound with them and a kick. Cymbals were mellow and smooth, drums full.I tried it next on guitar...really loved it. 5150 heavy thrashier tunes, this added a lot of weight and preserved that high end sizzle clearly. I paired it with a SM57 and an e906--was really pleased with the balance it added.Bass...used it on an Oranged AD200B through an Orange 4x10. Crushed it. Full, deep, clean and clear.And, lastly, because I was so thrilled with, I tried it on vocals. Heavy shouting/screams/growls/clean--for this person it was very full, clear, smooth and far from hyped or jubilant. I even went and tried it after to see how it sounded on my voice, it was wonderful.
1 of 1 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted June 2, 2019 by Kerry G in Columbia, SC
"Quiet Mic"
Its big and shiny. Patterns are consistent. Roll and pad are nice. It is NOT bright nor sibilant. It has a bit of a dip in the upper range which makes it work for my particular voice when I hit higher notes. Sounds bigger with a BLA mic pre. I’m happy with it.
I’ve done music for 35 years. Soup to nuts
1 of 1 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted August 7, 2019 by Andrew Szava-Kovats in Lowell, MA
"More Ss than I can handle."
After all the glowing reviews, I was looking forward to working with this mic. But I'm probably going to return it... The Sound: On vocals, this is as sibilant as any of the Chinese mics in this price range. And I've tried many of them, including AKG, Blue, Sterling (which actually sounds much better than this) and others... It's the kind of hyped-high frequency sound that you get from most cheap mics. It's really hard to "De-S" vocals recorded with this. And overall the sound is rather thin, although it has a solid output volume level, and low noise. But it's just not anything different from the typical 100 Euro mic. Maybe it works better on other instruments. There's not a lot of "body" to the sound. And as far as it being compared to any "47"s, it's Nothing like a Neumann... The build quality is good (although mine had a stain on the body). Everything seems solid. The shock mount works good. Serviceable, but not worth the extra money over a Bluebird.
Experienced producer.
Rock & Tekno
2 of 3 people (67%) people found this review helpful. Did you?