When you call, mention priority code 1ZR-XFTM
  • Mon, Tue, Wed, Thur 7:30AM - 11:30PM
  • Fri 7:30AM - 8:30PM

Rating and Reviews: Vox AV30G Modeling Amp

Utilizing a 12AX7 tube, the AV30G provides 30W across eight individually-voiced analog preamp circuits, paired with digital chorus, delay and reverb effects.

Overall

"Buttery smooth," submitted November 23, 2018

By Robert C in Nashville, TN
Overall
Musical Background: Amateur
Music Style: Blues, country, light jazz
Overall: I have had my AV30 for over a year. Mostly I use the clean channels, and chiefly Clean 1 or 2, and occasionally the crunch channels. Mostly for blues, jazz and Atkins styles. When playing clean I find the ambience comparable to my Princeton RI in many ways. Very nice with an ES 175 or Fender solid body. I am not qualified to assess the quality of heavily distorted tones, but I like the amp a lot, at any price and especially at this price. Looks cool and light weight. Friends recognize it as a tube amp when they hear it, without inquiry as to its hybrid nature. Definitely does not sound sterile. I utilize only a small amount of reverb and occasional delay, but it produces a very satisfying echo at moderate levels. The speaker/cab produces a strong tight bass. Compared to a Princeton, it is quieter and perhaps slightly more immediate, and it depends on my mood as to which amp I prefer. It lacks some of the open-back character of a Fender tube, but is more versatile. The cabinet feels very sturdy and it seems well crafted. I expect the Princeton cabinet would take more abuse while the innards of the Vox would be more reliable without large vacuum tubes rattles/damage. The separate knob for total power is extremely useful, as is having a completely separate but identical channel to switch between with nuanced differences in the clean / dirty tones. Of both the tube and solid state amps I have owned, this is one of my favorites. I am also a fan of Roland, and would consider this amp comparable in quality, with a more traditional tube-like tone. The chorus-type modulation is not as nice as a Roland, but good, while the amp, to me, is warmer than any digital modeling amp I have played and definitely has an analog feel. Hard to find anything negative to say about it. I do wonder whether porting the back a little would improve the “surroundness” when playing a room but am not inclined to find out. I would always prefer a ply-wood build, though it would add weight and cost. If handled reasonably, however, I expect the cabinet would hold up longer than most musicians. Definitely recommend it for those who enjoy warm, clean tones. I cannot speak to manufacturer support - have had no issues, but it (sillily) is a required field im the review. Finally, I read an early magazine review stating the digital effect levels are set and cannot be changed. This is incorrect, they are easily changed and the manual instructions are clear.

When you call, mention priority code 1ZR-XFTM. Llame Gratis en Español: 844-432-7449
Lunes-Domingo de 9AM a 7PM EST
Shop with those who respect your privacy — we do. Copyright © 1996-2019, zZounds Music, LLC. Terms of use apply.