TASCAM Model 12 Mixer, USB Audio Interface and Multitrack Recorder

TASCAM Model 12 Mixer, USB Audio Interface and Multitrack Recorder

So much more than a mixer, the Model 12 has a Portastudio-style SD card multitrack recorder right on board, plus a 12-in/10-out USB interface for your DAW.

Overall:
Overall:
Submitted October 14, 2020 by David Waldon in Toledo, OH
"Really excellent quality and value"
I am really enjoying my Model 12. I've had it about 6 months now, and I still am amazed at the ease of use and the excellent quality. I love being able to punch in and out of record with a footswitch like the old days, and my workflow has gotten so much simpler and I find I am actually completing projects now, where before the complexity of DAW slowed me down. The quality of the sliders and buttons and knobs is first rate, the mic pre's are excellent, clean and quiet; the effects are usable. It's a great mixer for a live show too and I can record everyone on their own track, which is pretty amazing not having to use a computer. The more I use this thing, the more I like it and appreciate all the little touches and features that were added to make this so versatile. Not missing my Audient interface at all! I've been recording since the cassette 4 track days, so ease of use for me was pretty much point and shoot once I got used to the live/mode/mtr switch, (remembering to put it in the right place for the function at hand) and the manual is well written for the more in depth functions. It looks, WOW. and is a great value. Where else can you get a mixer with 8 hi Z inputs?
ex-touring musician, singer/songwriter
2 solo guitar instrumental CD's: David Waldon Picks on The Beatles, and A Simple Christmas. Have loved music all my life!
26 of 27 people (96%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted June 30, 2020 by L. R
"Fantastic Machine that works!"
This review has been selected by our experts as particularly helpful.
My main use is for a personal mini home studio. After extensive research, the Model 12 checked all the boxes. I wanted an analog style mixer, onboard recorder and audio interface with the ability to complete projects with minimal computer based DAW interaction. The DAW controller is a pretty nice feature but was not very important for me and neither was the MIDI capability. I am an amateur at using a computer based DAW so the Model 12 was perfect as to not limit me from that. Without a DAW, I can still make studio quality recordings but I can still use a DAW to tweak if I choose to. As a mixer, recorder & audio interface, it's fantastic. As a DAW controller it works perfect as long as you use a compatible DAW. Tascam has a separate downloadable DAW controller manual on their website that tells you which DAW's work. Download it + download the user manual before you buy it and you can see and learn about the unit. Also, physically it's built like a tank. It's metal construction and it's heavy. Anything else that competes is all plastic. If you are a beginner, you need to read everything about it before you get it working. Don't expect to take it out of the box and for everything to run on Autopilot. It won't do that, this is professional level equipment that has a learning curve. That learning curve in invaluable though because you will really learn how to record & mix. Plenty of info online if you look up the Model 16 & 24. This is a small version of the model 16 & 24 that includes midi + DAW controller. The model 12 has only been on the market for 6 months and the other ones have been around for almost 2 years. So you can't expect a huge amount of user information about the model 12 yet. If you download the audio driver + update it to the latest firmware, it will do exactly what it's supposed to do. Also, you need to use an SD card from the list of Tascam tested cards and format it in the machine. If you dont, you might get errors and freezes. It also helps that any of these machines work better with smaller cards. I use 32 gig Transcend SDHC cards and they work perfect. Remember: Update the firmware, download the Audio driver, buy a smaller size Tascam tested SD card and make sure you format it with the Tascam Model 12, verify that your DAW is compatible (if you wan't to use the DAW controller feature) and it should work as advertised.
37 years, hobby drummer
All types
39 of 41 people (95%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted February 20, 2021 by a customer from yahoo.com
"Amazing"
Bought this for my musician grandson and he loves it. Sounds so warm and clear. 10 minutes out of the box and he is already recording songs. Feels slightly heavy and is not made from cheap plastics. Nice and solid. Absolutely recommend the model 12.
5 of 5 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted March 1, 2021 by a customer from gmail.com
"The Perfect Bridge Between Old School Analog And Modern Digital DAW Studio's"
We were tee-totally blown off our collective rockers after using a 12 for a couple weeks. Amazing kit,we could go on for days. The main basics is that it allows us to record tracks @ 48kHz,import to our DAW,then mix @ 96kHz. A perfect small format recorder for field recordings, in addition to our handheld Tascam 4 track;between the two,we can capture most anything outdoors for video projects. It doesn't take the place of our Antelope Audio Synergy 4 interface in the studio but it IS one hella option for adding it to the AA's 2 line-in jacks 3 and 4. Another super-duper useful option? Set-up as a basic DAW controller was a zero hassle affair and sealed the deal for us. Too good to ignore at this price,we are ordering a second unit from zZounds this week.Amazing all-around offering from Tascam-a mixer,an interface,an onboard recorder with zero latency...what's not to like?
2 of 2 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted March 24, 2021 by a customer from gmail.com
"The 12 Deserves A Follow Up @ 10+"
We've purchased 2 from zZounds and would buy a third just cuz they're good. Definitely good but also versatile. There is only one other small format desktop mixer I prefer more and that's an SSL6. At a third of the price of that beauty,our two Tascam 12's provide WAY more options than expected. Killah mixer,same on the recorder option. We run two aux channels into ch 3-4 of our Antelope Audio Synergy 4 and get lost recording for daze on end. The 8 channel Tascam preamp w/optical is also a stellar option. We use @ bluetooth 3"pair of presonus as a second reference,such good response we think the sub is a great next upgrade. zZounds has treated us better than all the other venders,so we're sticking with these cats!
The preamps! Surprise,the are pro kit
2 of 2 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?