Takamine GD20 Dreadnought Acoustic Guitar

Takamine GD20 Dreadnought Acoustic Guitar

Looking for a unique-sounding yet budget-friendly acoustic? The GD20 dreadnought fits the bill with its cedar top paired with mahogany back and sides.

Overall:
Overall:
Submitted May 17, 2017 by jeff m in whitehall, OH
"Stunning Guitar!!!!!"
Out of the box the action was absolutely perfect, I don't know where to begin, the Rosewood head stock cap, the rosewood fretboard the rosewood inlay around the soundhole the rosewood bridge hows that for starters, and I love the fact that they changed their signature on the headstock and deleted the G series off too. It has 2 strap buttons, and the Mahogany back and sides and the mahogany neck Wow!!!!!!!!! I am absolutely blown away I owned the gs330s and let me tell you there is no comparison this thing should have cost way more and the sustain just goes on forever!!!!!!!!!! Awsome buy one you will not regret it the split saddle is yet to be determined however the sustain on this thing is way above the 330 so we shall see.
jam at home
country and rock, blues
6 of 6 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted October 23, 2019 by Roger E in Burlington, NC
"Definitely has the Wow factor!"
Hard to believe you can get this guitar, with all solid wood, for $300. As much as I researched and read reviews from a ton of different websites I was still surprised when I opened the box. To start: the quality control tag that was inside the box had the setup specs. Classic setup the 1st string on the 1st fret was 0.5mm, on the 14th fret 2.0mm - the 6th string on the 1st fret was 0.6mm, on the 14th fret 2.5mm. The intonations from the 1st to 14th fret was spot on. With that being said, hearing the sound coming from this guitar was amazing!I've been playing music for over 40 years I now own a Washburn and Fender. Not to mention over the years I've owned several other brands and played quite a few more like, Alvarez, Ovation, Gibson, and Martin. I only bring it up to say, I do know what lower end and a top-end guitar sound and play like. This Takamine GD-20 has great sustain that keeps going. It has a warm, booming volume with crystal clear noting. I found no dead spots on it at all. Enough can't be said.about tonality on this guitar. To get this kind of detail and quality for $300! As clear as these notes are, and as loud as this guitar is the cedar top gives this guitar a warm, rich evened out tone. Even for the people who own or play expensive guitars this would be a great investment. If you're like me you'll do a ton of research. I would recommend a case for it. At this price range I have to give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating across the board! Happy Picking!
Guitar, Banjo 40+ years
Country, Southern Rock, Bues
2 of 2 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted November 18, 2015 by Russell S in new bedford, MA
"Worth the money"
Best 300 dollar guitar I have played. Smells great too, love the cedar sound, well set up, fit and finish great.. I changed the strings to elixirs. I have a Taylor 814ce and now I pick up the Takamine Gd20 more and find it hard to put down. Great neck easy to play. I love that it is a satin finish all around not a ton of bling or embellishments. Great tone , my friends are shocked too , the sound this puts out. The top responds to the lightest touch and puts out a huge sound when played harder.
guitar mostly acoustic, piano , songwriter
rock, blues, jazz, ballads, anything but rap and hip hop
22 of 23 people (96%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted August 15, 2017 by Nicolas Vallecillo in Atlanta, GA
"Worth it."
Beautiful satin guitar. I used to own a Taylor 814ce as one of the other users mentioned, and this plays every bit as beautiful. That Taylor is a 2.5-3,000$ guitar as well. Slap some elixirs on and jam out. ( comes with daddario strings which are perfectly fine but they were slightly discolored, especially on the G string.)
3 of 3 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted September 15, 2016 by galen b in tucson, AZ
"Awesome Acoustic"
one of the best for your hard earned dollar guitars out there....a no frills meat and potatoes guitar...nice weight..superb craftsmanship...fast and easy purchase and shipping!!!....45 days if you don't agree...she's a keeper!! thanks zZounds for a killer product!
15 yrs guitar and drums
rock..classical..
2 of 2 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted October 19, 2017 by Paul M in Tahlequah , OK
"A Very Nice Guitar"
Here's the bottom line on the GD20: The GD20, for $299, plays and sounds as well or better than many guitars priced at over $1,000. Manufacturing technology in China has advanced to the point that companies like Takamine can produce and sell guitars that 30 years ago would have been much more expensive in relative terms. I'll just say that I've been playing my GD20 for two days and I can hardly put her down. Her tone is bright and chimey without losing warmth. Hard to explain, but she just sounds "sweet". She was set up just fine right out of the box with a very low, fast action. Her neck is very narrow at the nut and trim down her full length. She's s beautiful instrument - pretty in her simplicity. I really like the matte finish which looks for all the world like French polish. All this said, I can't think of another instrument I would rather have, aside from some vintage guitars that cost a fortune. This guitar is suitable for anyone - gigging professional, songwriter, beginner. One suggestion - the stock strings are just fine, but I did swap them for a set of Elixr's. They are perfect for this guitar. Buy with full confidence! This is a really fine guitar.
Playing for fun since 1974
Rock, old country, folk
6 of 7 people (86%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted February 26, 2019 by pat D in rocklake, ND
"takimine guitar"
sound is great, though it needs strings and a neck adjustment all around great guitarr
country