Steinberger Spirit GT Pro Deluxe Electric Guitar (with Bag)

Steinberger Spirit GT Pro Deluxe Electric Guitar (with Bag)

Capture the sound and style of the '80s at an incredible price. This Sprit GT Pro features passive pickups and the classic Steinberger headstock-less design.

Overall:
Overall:
Submitted July 29, 2019 by Terry T in Johnson City, TN
"Great Travel Guitar and More"
I bought this as an alternative to watching TV or spending time on a laptop in hotels. It's also going to get a lot of attention at home with my 13 other guitars. I took a chance on getting a blemished model from zZounds and had spend a couple of minutes looking for the blemish. There was a very light scratch on the back of the body and after a few minutes of hand buffing with swirl remover, the guitar became 100% flawless. The fretboard feels nearly as smooth as my Carvin. The action was a little high out of the box but after a re-string and an adjustment, I have the treble side set at 3/64" with zero fret buzz. I didn't particularly care for the feel of the Steinberger double ball strings so I went ahead and ordered a string adapter from the Epiphone store (hope zZounds reads this and decides to stock it). I highly recommend the easy to install adapter since it allows you to use the strings of your choice. I put the DR neon green 9 - 42 strings on mine and the contrast looks awesome with the black finish. Strings changes are a breeze. Intonation adjustments are equally as easy with a simple push of the saddles. No truss rod adjustment was needed. The guitar balances nicely with the leg support opened. I can rest it on my thigh without holding on. Less impressive is the single coil mid pickup. Not much output there. I have no issues with the humbuckers. I actually like the bridge HB and tend to leave it on this setting. Not too quacky or twangy. The neck pickup can offer some nice blues tones. One disadvantage is that you can't have both humbuckers active simultaneously. I imagine the switch could be modded for a series option, or the single coil could be bypassed altogether, or a twin rail humbucker could replace the single coil. I doubt I'll bother changing a thing. Overall, I couldn't be more satisfied for the money.
47 yrs. Jam at home.
Classic Rock, hard rock, Southern rock.
10 of 10 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted January 17, 2019 by don s in weed, NM
"a stunning guitar for $400"
i've been playing for 55 years. i have owned it all several times. i always wanted a steinberger but didn't like the price. i decided to try this model. i have heard endless complaints about the pickups. total bull. this guitar (out of the box) sounds just as good as my 1985 jackson soloist with duncans and plays BETTER. all i did was change the strings to 9-42's and lower the action. zero fret buzz. all frets are PERFECT. i am blown away by the quality of this guitar. i play mostly joe satriani covers so you know what tones i use. this guitar does it all and does it well.
55 years as a rock guitarist
joe satriani, steve vai, van halen, pink floyd, 80's hair bands
46 of 47 people (98%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted December 6, 2019 by J L in Spokane, WA
"Better than expected"
I have been looking for a full scale travel guitar for a while and took the plunge on this one. I looked at a number of other options from other manufacturers but this model seemed to stand out. I have never been a fan of the headless guitar look but it made sense in terms of compactness when comparing the lengths. I honestly did not expect much, despite the majority of reviews being very positive. However, I was surprised. After I lowered the action, purchased an adapter for normal strings and changed to my preferred strings, it has been fantastic. The bridge was easy to work out height and intonation adjustments, the neck feels similar to my Jazzmaster but with a flatter radius and more frets/better reach, and the neck and bridge pickups sound great for my needs. My small gripe is with the middle pickup. For one, I am not accustomed to having a middle pickup but it is also very underwhelming when comparing output of the 3. I don't see myself using it ever. Having said that, I really don't care because I bought it to be a travel/practice guitar and it works great at that using just the neck or bridge.
Drums/guitar
7 of 7 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted July 11, 2020 by Mark C in Birmingham, AL
"Nice Travel Guitar"
I like several other reviewers have been playing for over 50 years. I purchased a Steinberger GM 2T in 1988 primarily because its graphite neck was the easiest to play guitar I could find. I had hand issues and it allowed me to play and I could not on other guitars. After about 15 years, I had some problems with the Steinberger transtrem and I bought a Music Man JP6 guitar which has a fantastic wood neck and it became my primary guitar. About 7 years ago, I discovered that original Steinberger guitars were back in vogue and there was a company HeadlessUSA that was restoring them. I sent my GM2T to them and it came back better than ever !! Anyway, We travel on vacation 5-6 times a year, and I was carrying the GM2T with me on the airplane as a travel guitar because of its size. I them realized I was traveling with an irreplaceable guitar that was worth probably $4k. I looked at several of the travel guitars and just thought they were very limited and saw the Steinberger Spirit. I saw they had a Red one that matched my existing GM2T and ZZounds showed they had it in stock. I had never done any business with ZZounds but they gave me a good deal. I ordered it in the late afternoon and the next day it showed up around 10 am. I was very impressed, but shortly after I started to play it stopped any output. I think the switch or the tone capacitor failed. I contacted ZZounds and they quickly issued me a return and as soon as I returned the initial guitar to the shipper they shipped me a replacement. I would say ZZounds service was exceptional and I have no hesitations about doing business with them again !Overall, It is a good value for the money. The neck and intonation were perfect for me, The finish and feel are also very nice and the pickups are more than adequate for a travel guitar. The Red finish is very nice and really looks great. No, Its not an original Steinberger, which would be your everyday guitar but it it only costs 1/10. I believe it will be an excellent travel guitar with a lot more features than the other traditional travel guitars
50 Plus year
Rock

Submitted August 14, 2020 by Charlie R in Golden, CO
"Good, could be better"
Really nice little guitar - after a full setup. Right out of the box, the small hook used to stabilize the term is loose to the point of being free swinging and any minute touch to the tailpiece would cause it to unhook. Being new to this type of guitar, I hadn’t realized this had happened during initial tuning and so tuned the guitar 2 whole steps above standard pitch. This kept recurring while trying to stabilize the tuning. I wound some coarse thread between the tail block and hook and this definitely helped. Also, according to the owner’s manual, the guitar was supposedly “expertly set up at the factory “ but no, it wasn’t. String height was fine but the intonation was not set and the individual string saddles were completely loose. Having taken care of these issues myself, this guitar is a fine player and sounds great through my Roland Cube. Action is buttery smooth and tuning is extremely stable, even after extreme string bending. This is definitely a keeper! I’m planning on buying the single ball adapter because I don’t like paying twice as much for strings.
Pro (part time)
All styles, jazz, blues, bluegrass and pop mainly.

Submitted November 27, 2020 by a customer from comcast.net
"Awesome!"
I got the ying and yang black and white. i sat there 20 minutes trying to figure out how to tune it.So if you buy one and don't know how here is the link to show youhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5efChFKZPc&feature=emb_titleThat being said, now that i know how to tune it it is easy. This guitar is amazing. i use a strap to keep it a little higher on my body. great action and super playability. The neck is thin and fast and action right on with no fret buzz. i almost decided to send this back because of the tuning problem but if you buy one just look at the video that shows you how. Well worth the money to go back to the 80's. What a fun guitar!! I gave manf support a 1 because they don't tell you how to tune it in the manual.

Submitted February 11, 2021 by Hyde B in Portland, OR
"Spirit GT Pro Deluxe(Thats a lot of Titles!!!)"
zZounds pride themselves on Customer Service & it is apparent. They were very honest & up front. Now, to the guitar. Just made a couple adjustments for preference & it was up & running.The guitar actually feels better than expected. Unplugged, it rings out nicely & is fun to play. The neck feels a little small but....preferences... All in all, it's great little rig. Quality? Well, heck. Give me $400 & I couldn't even buy the materials to build this thing. There are a few little imperfections in the paint. If I was paying $2000, I might have a complaint. for $400, it's a gem. To summarize: I wasn't looking for a guitar to change the world. Maybe something more in the realm of a fun little broom to keep handy & play when inspiration strikes. Something I could eventually experiment with, in the way of different electronics. Could you use this as your main guitar? Sure. Again, @ $400, you can change the electronics to meet your taste & still be money ahead. Can I put a value rating on it? Yeah, 5 Stars. Like I said... Materials will cost you more than this little NitroBroom. & a nice little soft case is included! Thanks zZounds!
Recording artist.
When Violets Turn Grey
1 of 1 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted July 22, 2018 by a customer from gmail.com in Saint Paul, MN
"SO much better than the Spirit of years past!"
I played one of these twenty years ago and loved the shape, but the quality was lacking. The pickups were soulless, and the thing wouldn't stay in tune with trem. This time they've got it right! I got the yellow one and it's a stunner. Pure '80s vibe! I got the action effortlessly low with just a simple truss rod tweak, and the tremolo really holds tune well! This is a FANTASTIC bridge design! You can also flip a switch underneath to lock the trem, essentially making the bridge fully fixed! The pickups are resin-encapsulated just like EMGs and they really sound good! One quibble: the volume knob is mighty close to my picking hand and it took a few days of adaptation to stop accidentally turning down the volume gradually when playing. It's annoying at first but I've got it now and it's no longer a problem. Also, the Steinberger TransScale (a few years ago) came with real active pickups, but it wasn't as well made as this and the integrated rolling capo was weird at best. That said, this guitar is BEGGING for real EMG pickups so I'm putting a set in. I routed in a 9v battery box in the upper rear wing and I'm putting in an EMG 85/81 humbucker set with an EMG SA middle pickup and five-way switching. This is not an easy mod, but I know it's gonna make this guitar roar like it should. So good I'm gonna get another and keep it stock! Gotta be that YinYang finish! No quality problems with mine at all. If you're on the fence, go for it. This thing is amazing.
25+ years of couch/home studio playing/jamming with friends. Dedicated hobbyist. Guitar/bass/keys
Classic rock, blues, metal, country, jazz, you name it.
11 of 12 people (92%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted July 11, 2018 by Diego B
"Good travel guitar, but..."
Is excellent for travel. I’m an airline pilot, and I’m always carrying it with me. The only problem is with finishing quality of the guitar, the neck next to the 12th fret increases its width on the upper side (6th string), its not simmetrical from head (less) to bridge. And other things like paint issues (like points, or bubbles), and some glue on the 2 first frets. Other than that I’m happy with the guitar, for the price. Gibson should care a little bit on the quality of this guitar, is an excellent model, the best for travelling, looks and feels like a real guitar, but the finishing quality is bad.
For my sound, I would change the pickups. I like the seymour JB and Jazz, the original pickup is not that bad.
The idea of this guitar is fenomenal! It’s a well balanced guitar, the tunning is easy, the neck is good (I prefer the neck not painted, with satin finishing, but this is ok). Good material, but the finishing isn’t that good.
Easy to set, easy to use!
Just got the guitar. The finishing quality control is bad. My guitar neck is assimetrical from the 1st fret to the 12th fret on the 6th string side, and some painting finishing problems, and some glue on the first 2 frets.
Yes, it is worth buying, if you compare to the traveller guitar, it stays in tune much better, and has tremolo.
Not yet. I will send them some pictures of those finishing problems.
The best for travel. Period. But again, BAD FINISHING QUALITY!
I’ve been playing guitar and bass for the last 25 years, and I also play piano, and drums.
Heavy Metal, Rock, Shred guitar and Blues.
6 of 7 people (86%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted July 25, 2018 by a customer from gmail.com in Okeechobee, FL
"Solid"
Guitar sets up nicely. Great action, smooth fretwork. Pickups are great in their own way. If you like very smooth sustain, and not too much grit,...this is fine. I will probably swap the pickups. All in all, its fun to play. Trem is not the best. Locked bridge is better by far.
Gigging forever...old
All styles
4 of 5 people (80%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted May 23, 2020 by Glenn V
"Fair"
Bought this so I could throw it in my office at work and when I travel.I was torn between this guitar and a travel guitar. This is pretty much all it's good for. Pickups are garbage, action is a little tough to dial and the neck is a bit thick. If this is going to be you're only guitar it's not going to be sufficient and overpriced in my opinion. But it serves the purpose for which I bought it.
1 of 5 people (20%) people found this review helpful. Did you?