Sterling by Music Man StingRay 5 Electric Bass, 5-String
BACK IN STOCK

Sterling by Music Man StingRay 5 Electric Bass, 5-String

With its basswood body, heavy-duty humbucking pickup, and 2-band active EQ, the Sterling StingRay 5 was made to bring the house down with its huge low end.

Overall:
Overall:
Submitted January 12, 2019 by Jeffrey C in New Milford, NJ
"Really Good Bass (Mint green)"
--Update--Had to return the Dented and scratches bass, customer support was incredibly helpful in with getting an exchange order. Phone call with customer support was quick and easy, best method to get any issues sorted out. _Not sure if this is relevant to quality, but the original bass was made in China, and the new factory bass is made in Indonesia._New bass (Factory New), brought the much needed truss rod adjustment bar and string saddle hex key. Anyone purchasing this bass, do yourself a huge favor and ditch the stock strings. I replaced my set with the Elixir nickel plated steel (.45-.130). Having both the amp and bass EQ to flat is very bright and bass heavy compared to the stock strings, which needed a lot of boosting in the treble spectrum. Now for the bad. The tuners that come with this bass are really good at staying in tune, but quality-wise they are lacking. By taking off the stock strings, the chrome on the machine head windings were stripped. Thus revealing the interior metal; bronze, now whenever I tune up or down there is a persistent 'scratching' feel to it. Silicon based lube has helped it out tremendously but unfortunately it is still stripped. Best upgrades for this phenomenal bass would be, tuning machines, bridge and saddles. I would suggest Hipshot ultralite tuning machines, and for the bridge I would swap it out for a Babicz solo rail system. These two upgrades would improve the bass greatly, and be able to compete against instruments around the $700 area.Overall I would give this bass a 4 out of 5!
20 of 20 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted July 8, 2018 by Alex K in Columbus, OH
"Amazing value but be forewarned "
You can't beat any of the Sterling basses in this price range. Definitely a little low-end heavy sound wise compared to the sub ray 4 but that helps the low B-string resonate more. Only surprise was that I was expecting the fretboard to be a little darker colored than what I actually received. Not necessarily a bad thing but the picture of the trans blue satin bass is slightly misleading. Other than that I'm completely satisfied with this purchase!
16 years playing music. I play bass, guitar, piano and sing
Mostly rock and alternarive
19 of 20 people (95%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted August 20, 2019 by Scott aka Bugs Allen in Santa Clarita, CA
"(Very little) money well spent"
For less money than a college kid will spend on a fast food and Starbucks in a month, this bass can be had. And for the working musician, it'll pay for itself before zZounds debits a payment from your credit card.As a back up bass for rehearsals (and and gigs where I want to get a more vintage Funk or soul tone than I can render from my fancy 6-string bass with Barts and a 3-band eq) this bass cannot be beat for twice the price.Right out of the box the tone is punchy and lively at nearly every volume and tone setting. Depending on your playing style and technique, you can get all the retro tones and MOST of the new ones.
35 years professionally, I'm also a trumpeter, singer and percussionist
Funk, Jazz,R&B, Latin, Blues, Gospel, Pop

Submitted May 25, 2020 by James F in NORTH DARTMOUTH, MA
"Fantastic"
I bought this bass about 7 months ago and I have to say to this day I don't regret it. It sounds amazing overall for the style of music I play ands the action on it is beyond what it's price should be. Highly recommend to anyone starting out on bass or anyone who has played for years!
Been playing music for 14 years, Guitar, Bass, Drums and Audio Engineering
Rock, Metal, Electronic,

Submitted May 13, 2020 by Moises Vargas in San Juan, PR
"Sterling by Music Man SUB Series Ruby Red 5 string bass"
This is an incredible bass for the price. The sound is very similar to the original Music Man's Sting Ray 5 and the fingerboard feels amazing and very comfortable. I also have to give a lot of credit to zZounds because the shipping was really fast.
I've been playing electric bass since 1993 with several bands and musicians.
Rock, Funk, Jazz, Salsa, Hip Hop and more.

Submitted January 27, 2020 by Chris R in El Dorado Hills, CA
"Amazing bass for money"
Minimal set up needed when I received the bass. Amazing tone, but wish I had a little more options for dialing in different tone beyond the 2 band pre-amp. After spending all weekend with this bass, I'm liking it more than my $2K Warwick, plays and sounds much better.
Playing for over 25 years, at home or at church

Submitted December 29, 2020 by John H in Miami, FL
"Absolute Workhorse!"
I ordered this bass in Vintage Sunburst and I’ve been finding it hard to put it down. The highs sing beautiful with the rumbling lows, this is probably the best bass you can find for under $500. I’ve put it head to head with Mexican Fender, Ibanez, and ESP/LTD basses and nothing comes close to beating it. Definitely could get a great deal of mileage with this one, whether you are a seasoned professional, or a fledgling newcomer.
Metal, Jazz, Funk, Trap, Blues, Hip Hop

Submitted January 30, 2021 by a customer from yahoo.com
"Just as good as my USA Stingray5"
Arrived yesterday! I compared this Indonesia-made SR5 to my trusty SanLuisObispo-made SR5 that cost 4x more. Hardware quality and pickup switching ability are the only major differences, and they don't affect the sound quality. The sound is comparatively equal and playability is identical. I'm planning to defret this cheaper $ bass and transform it into a 5-string fretless. Already pulled one fret and looks like it's a go!

Submitted September 14, 2019 by David Oliver
"Awesome sounding cheap bass!"
I have a Musicman Stingray 5 , and this cheaper version can produce the same tone I'm used to, and the same feel I'm used to without breaking the bank.
Bassist for Stereoside
Rock

Submitted June 5, 2019 by Steve s in rockmart, GA
"Sub Ray5"
Nice bass for the money, The tuning keys could be better, replaced stock strings with some Stainless flats, did some minor adjustments!
I have been playing for 20+, I play professionally
Southern rock and country mostly

Submitted December 2, 2018 by Jeffrey C
"Pretty good (Mint green)"
Bought the dented and scratches version, and it played really well! Due to a dent (most likely from a fall) the truss rod rattles when I play an open E or any note on the low B. Aside from the annoying rattle, this bass is a beast! The 2 band EQ really helps tighten up the low end/ high end frequencies of this bass. Will definitely purchase another mint green bass (this time no blemishes), that way I can give the instrument a fair review without issues from a rattling truss rod.Will post an update review once the new bass comes in the mail!
2 of 4 people (50%) people found this review helpful. Did you?