Peavey Rage 258 TransTube Guitar Combo Amplifier (25 Watts, 1x8")

Peavey Rage 258 TransTube Guitar Combo Amplifier (25 Watts, 1x8")

Get the range and dynamics of a tube amp with this TransTube combo amp. The preamp and power amp work together to bring you the natural grit of a tuber.

Overall:
Overall:
Submitted July 17, 2014 by Ray Smith in BUCKEYE, AZ
"Very Surprised"
Only 25w, but, kick butt. Nice tone, I can't turn up the volume in my music room due to how loud this amp gets. zZounds made it easy to purchase. I've got it on a direct box into my mixer and amp and then out to my speakers. I have found that I can jam on the internet with one of my musician friends. We use Skype for video and Blink for audio. My friend says the quality of guitar sound is great. The amp on my end sounds sweer
Retired working musician. Bass guitar and jazz / blues guitar 35 years.
Jazz, blues, country, oldies rock
10 of 10 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted March 15, 2014 by Geo C in NY, NY
"good as-is, GREAT with a better speaker!"
As a studio musician, I get to try dozens of Boutique tube amps for free in return for my opinions and advice. You can spend thousands more and not get better tube-tone or "feel" than this little guy. As another reviewer pointed out, the speaker could be improved but is OK for low volume practice or very quiet jazz gigs, like those where people eat dinner. You can very easily improve the already good tone by plying this through a better 8 inch speaker OR putting the head into a better cabinet with a premium 12 inch speaker. I use both of those strategies. For lightweight low-volume jazz gigs, I bring TWO of these to run in stereo from my stereo effects board. In those, I merely replaced the stock "blue marvel" speaker ( which is not terrible) with a much better 8 inch with wider frequency response and a lower FS. You'd be amazed. I had a woodworking friend build another cabinet that encloses this amp with an italian neodymium speaker. WHOW! You probably won't believe how beautiful and loud this thing gets! So, if you just want a good little practice amp or play VERY quietly, use this as is. These are so inexpensive, you can get two and make a very affordable stereo rig that fits in a rolling suitcase. And if you need boutique low-wattage tube tone, just use this amp with a good 12".
35 years pro studio and touring
all
19 of 22 people (86%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted March 30, 2014 by todd swenson in saint paul, MN
"peavy amp and pedal"
For 25 watts of power the amp packs one hell of a punch. The sound is crisp and clear. The pedal is the same has far as the sound goes.
I jam at home using keyboards and electric gutiar. I've been playing 25 years.
rock
3 of 4 people (75%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted July 1, 2018 by Kevin W in Easton, PA
"Loud little amp"
Just got this amp with a Gibson Faded T Guitar , Versatile amp , sure cant beat it for the price.
just starting to play
Rock / blues
1 of 2 people (50%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted April 15, 2012 by a customer from hotmail.com
"PERFECT"
Bought this for running wireless mic set up in medium sized meeting halls for art society classes/meetings. The ladies who use this are mostly 40/50/60 year old and not dumb, but not tech savvy either. They absolutely love it and its much clearer than the similar, different brand, same money but now broken, amp that it is replacing.
4 of 7 people (57%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted August 5, 2008
"Nice little amp! Reliable, authentic tone and response... Easy to use."
If you want simplicity, reliability and realistic tube tone, these are really good, especially for the $$$. You can get even better tone if you are willing to replace the speaker, but the stock speaker is fine for low volume.
These amps have surprisingly natural "tube-like" tone and response. I can only deduct one point for the speaker, which could be better.
No effects, which is OK if you already have outboard effects you like, or prefer to not use effects.
These are as simple and straightforward as any amp you can get.
It seems to be well designed, does not have any significant rattles, buzzes or hums. It has a plywood baffle, which is adequate for the speaker and it has MDF cabinet, which is just fine for an open-back light-weight design of this size. Some potentiometers got a little crusty after a year in my moist basement... no problem though. A little "exercise" quickly cleaned them up.
Yes, definitely worth the money.
In thirty years of using Peavey stuff, I have only has two instances of dealing with Peavey support. Both times were because of things they had no control over: 1- a studio fire which destroyed my peavey effects, and 2-a blown speaker which was not their fault. In both cases, they were very responsive and helpful.
I have found that these little amps are great for low-volume Jazz gigs, practicing and teaching. Also, singers do not seem so threatened when you show up with this little guy... great for auditions and first-time calls.
33 of 35 people (94%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted January 23, 2008
"Get'em while their cheap."
Great little practice amp.Plenty of sound and very close to a tube amp.Well worth the money.
Not to cluttered.
Don't know!
15 of 24 people (63%) people found this review helpful. Did you?