Marshall DSL40CR Guitar Combo Amplifier (40 Watts, 1x12")

Marshall DSL40CR Guitar Combo Amplifier (40 Watts, 1x12")

Push out 40 watts of pure Marshall tube tone with the DSL40CR combo amplifier -- its versatile EQ and resonance controls let you dial in the perfect sound.

Overall:
Overall:
Submitted February 26, 2018 by Den morrow in East Prospect, PA
"Marshall DSL40CR"
Incredible amp !! My SG and Lp are amazing into this. This amp needs no pedals. You have so much to work with, the gain stages and the switching channels. Just set you master right and you can play anything. I did try my fenders into it and i believe they are best in my fender 68 CDR. No downing..just feel Gibson into Marshall and Fender into Fender is where the Mojo is. You will not be disappointed in this amp...its loud and proud but also a finesse amp...i could pull off jazz and then go right in 80's metal and even beyond that into nasty-metal, i even dropped D tuned for a few minutes just cause i felt that "power" only a marshall cranked can do..so all in all..one of the best amps i ever played into...just got it today and it makes me want to play. Did a full set a band practice and ..man does this thing cut !!
semi pro
Rock,jazz,metal,blues,motown,funk, play it all
36 of 37 people (97%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted April 18, 2018 by Parrick I in Neenah, WI
"Marshall Amplifier "
Good tones, very veristile. Can be played at bedroom levels or stadium volume. Doesn’t matter. Some said it can’t be done but here i am playing at bedroom volumes and it sounds more than acceptable. Obviously sounds better cranked cause it’s a tube amp but I like to use it for both so I don’t have to have a bunch of different amps lying around for different applications. Marshall cleans, 70-90’s rock tones to nasty grindcore metal tones if desired. The reverb is comical, non existent almost. Nothing a pedal can’t fix. My first Marshall ever and probably not my last. I have been tone chasing for about a year now and have gone through 10 amps in this price range-ish. I can’t see myself letting it go so that says something to me. Downfall is the reverb and the footswitch pedal that comes with the amp. Doesn’t give you full access. Does give you channel change from clean to dirty and the effects loop. Which works perfect for me as I use a pedalboard anyway and could care less. But if you don’t have a pedalboard I could see it being annoying not being able to turn on and off certain things. However like I said if you use pedals it's a non issue. Highly recommend. Ordered from zZounds, came fast (2 days), received as promised and never have issues with zZounds. Simpley the best!
20 years playing
Metal, rock, cleans, shoegaze
31 of 32 people (97%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted September 16, 2020 by Bradford Capinjola in Middlesex, NJ
"BEYOND BLOWN AWAY!!!"
Not sure why this is getting negative reviews.....my experience has been nothing but fantastic. I was extremely surprised about how good this amp is. I have the DSL40CR version with JJ tubes and the Celestion V-Type speaker not the DSL40C. Maybe the DSL40C is the version people are having issues with? Idk. Anyways, this amp absolutely rips! The clean is super clean. And you have to realize that to get a crystal clean sound, you have to turn the gain down on the clean and raise the volume otherwise, yes, it will not be clean. I cannot believe how much OD1 on the ultra gain channel hearkens back to earlier JMP/JCM 2204 tones. OD2 is seriously a monster of a setting. You can do any kind of metal with OD2 and when you put a boost in front of it, WATCH OUT! This amp takes effects very well and overall just sounds great. I would highly recommend this as a practice/small gig amp. It can definitely get LOUD. 40 tube watts is a lot of power and at half power, it retains the TONE. I purchased this for practice and those small gigs you cannot bring a JCM 800 half stack to. Anyways, I feel like I'm being repetitive. Buy it. You'll love it. If you don't' like it, send it back. zZounds is the best company to buy gear from and the easiest to deal with. I've never had any issues whatsoever with them.
I play rock/metal/blues. This amp responds extremely well to my playing and style. Like all Marshalls, don't forget about the mids!
It's not useless, but I'm not a reverb guy. It sounds good though.
This amp is super easy to use. Within half a minute I was hearing great tones.
This amp is sturdy and well built.
This is more than worth what I paid for it. Extremely satisfied.
I have spoke to Marshall in the past. Pleasant and helpful every time. It's like anyone else in life. If you're nice to people and don't act like a Karen, chances are they'll be nice back.
I have a lot of amps and would still want it. It appeals to me because you get big Marshall tone without the big Marshall lol.
Professional Musician
Rock/Metal/Blues and whatever comes out. Sometimes it gets jazzy and sometimes you feel like a nut.

Submitted April 2, 2020 by Reggie L in Emporia, KS
"Amazing amp!!!"
Just got this today. I love it! Don’t think I’ll be playing through my blues jr very much for a while. This thing is really great. Great clean channel. Drive channel is great too. I have quite a few drive pedals but I might just use the amp’s drive channel sometimes for variety. It’s got that classic Marshall tone in spades. It’s also a lot bigger than I thought it was gonna be...it’s big for a combo! Get this amp. You won’t be disappointed!
Been playing music 33 years. Recording artist with albums on Spotify. Guitarist, drummer, bassist, producer.
Rock
3 of 3 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted July 29, 2020 by a customer from hotmail.com
"Serious amp upgrade"
I bought two of these amps from zZounds to run a massive pedal board in stereo. My previous amps were Boss Katana Artist series (which were great amps but I outgrew their tone). With the sound I heard in my head, the Katanas were just not delivering, so I upgraded to the Marshall DSL40CR amps. What a difference in tone, from the instant I strung my first chord I was blown away by them. I was lucky enough to own an original Marshall JCM2000 DSL head about 15 years ago when I used to gig and I am as happy with the new DSL40CR as I was with the JCM2000 head. These amps are made in Asia (along with most everything nowadays) and the older JCM head felt more 'road worthy' than the DSL40CR but I don't gig so my gear stays at home and is taken care of very well. If I was a gigging musician I would invest in some flight cases for the amps as they may not be as sturdy as their English made counterparts. All in all, I am very happy with the DSL40CR amps. And they look hella cool when I pop in my studio to say hello to my gear!

Submitted January 6, 2020 by Paul W in Marion, OH
"Great Amp."
Played for 50 years. All kinds of shows and venues. The modern sound of the DSL 40 is top of the line. Little argument there. You will find that the amp is weak with reverb. It has two reverb knobs. Both fully engaged fail to provide much. Volume and crunch is dispatched by a total of eight knobs. I have yet to discover what the engineers were trying to achieve. I believe most payers want access to clear and overdrive. The configuration of volume and drive combinations is confusing and redundant. Its hard to believe that a world renown orgnaization such a "Marshall" would produce such a system. However at the end of the day you get the magnificent Marshall sound that needs no introduction.
50 years. Strings, instructor, theater, bands.
I play whatever the entertainment requires. I prefer the Chet Atkins style. Modern players Ritchie Blackmore, Clapton, Walsh.
2 of 2 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted September 14, 2018 by John H
"Right Out of The Box"
A quick first impression of this amp I received about 30 minutes ago. Everything works perfectly. Didn't use any of my effects just straight amp and it was easy to get very usable tones. I have no doubt as I tweak this amp it will soon sound awesome. As with many other reviews all over the net, the reverb is only ok at best. Most of us use a pedal anyway so not a big deal. My plan is to buy a second one and run in stereo. The thing that will matter is reliability and I will write or add to this review after a few months.
I am 62 and been playing since I was 8
Rock, Blues, Jazz, Metal and some country once after I had to scrap my old tractor and my wife ran off with the mailman
5 of 6 people (83%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted March 7, 2020 by a customer from yahoo.com
"BadeAzzAmp!"
This is a great combo amp- fantastic really - very versatile!

Submitted September 11, 2019 by a customer from yahoo.com
"One year later"
Not a single issue with this amp one year later...not a lie. Still sounds great..not a lie. Takes pedals well in the loop and up front ...My Friedman BE OD Deluxe sounds awesome! As do the Green and Red Channels used without the BE just different tones again not a lie . . . I did add a 2x 12 ext cab loaded with WGS Veteran 30's love it...again not a lie
playing forever not a lie
Lots not a lie
3 of 4 people (75%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted May 26, 2018 by JONATHAN F in Houston, TX
"DSL40CR"
Excellent amp. I'm still learning how the amp functions, particularly the MIDI capabilities (huge bonus). The amp sounds great right out of the box, way better tone than the Gen1 model. I replaced the stock speaker with a Celestion V30 and now it sounds INCREDIBLE! The only complaint I have is the footswitch that is included. You need an external MIDI footswitch, or buy PEDL-91016, which is overpriced, if you want to use the amp to its fullest capabilities, which are a lot, so it's worth investing in one. The reason I dinged it on Ease of Use is because there is a loop on/off button on the front panel, and for some reason, when I hook up my external preamp via the effects loop, it disengages the internal preamps. I found this peculiar and POSSIBLY troublesome if you use pedals via the effects loop. I dont have any, so I can not verify.
6 of 9 people (67%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted October 29, 2019 by MARK S
"Marshall DSL40Cr"
Versatile gain selections and perfect size. Equalization sensitivity is underwhelming and just take the reverb knobs and throw them away. But if you only had to have one Marshall amp this is a good one.
of 1 people (0%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted June 22, 2018 by A P in Flint, MI
"Not worth buying period"
I read great reviews on this and thought this is the one but no deal bought from zZounds...shipping is and was great ...opened it plugged in and all features worked ...the clean channell sounded sweet but the distortion side just could not produce a useable tone just nasally mush so i tried some pedals and it doesnt take distortion pedals well at all i hate to say it but i felt ripped off the reviews must be lies i felt
28Yrs started in the 80s rock metallica..blues a liitle of everything
12 of 42 people (29%) people found this review helpful. Did you?