When you call, mention priority code 20X-H9GS

Rating and Reviews: MXL Genesis Tube Mic

Add that velvety smooth tube flavor to your mic collection for an unbelievable price with this tried-and-true secret weapon of a microphone: the MXL Genesis.

Overall

"If you seek Bang for Your Buck Tube Mic...you needn't look too far." submitted November 4, 2010

Musical Background: Active Musician, Recording Engineer
Music Style: Rock, Jazz, K-Pop, Acoustic
Sound: I've never written reviews on the net. But after always searching for them and then complaining that no one has posted reviews on the product, I decided to stop complaining and do my part in solving the problem. This, especially, since there are not many reviews on MXL Genesis that are around at the moment. Ok. Let's get real with the sound of this microphone. Don't mean to boast, but I work regularly with U87. And this mic does not sound as warm and smooth as U87 on its own. Actually, I was quite disappointed at the harsh top end of the microphone. Then again, it is an unfair comparison since my U87 runs through Avalon M5 into AVID HD at work. My Genesis runs through Mbox2 Mini... In any case, as you will notice on Sound on Sound samples as well, the mic is not as warm and rounded as one would like to believe. Having said that, I just want to say that this mic absolutely comes to life when the harsh top end is tamed with some EQ. The detail captured by this mic is simply stunning. The tuby grain (as I call it) is subtle yet comes through in a very pleasant way, especially for my low male vocals. And after some EQing, applying some reverbs and compression, I honestly doubt that I could tell much difference between the same vocals I recorded with Genesis and U87. Vox recorded on U87 were better: more warmer and rounder and smoother by about 3~5% (subjective rating, not a measured one). But, U87 costs about 4~6 times more. And when vocals recorded with Genesis sit in the mix, it is virtually impossible for anyone to say, "Aha! You're using some cheap Chinese mic!" The sound of Genesis is professional and finished. So much so, I won't say it is a matter of U87 being better than Genesis. They are just different, like how Fender Strat is different from Gibson Les Paul. The only difference is, with Genesis' going price, you seriously cannot go wrong. Feature: Accessories are fantastic. The included pop filter looks awesome with the mic. But I just use the clothe pop filter that I have been using because I don't want to spray the metal pop filter and mic with my...er...spray. The power unit is solid. The shock mount is solid. The cables provided are Mogami...although, unfortunately, I think they are lower quality Mogami cables connected to Yong Sheng (?) connectors. But, that is just me being gear fussy and pedantic. The sound quality was practically impossible to tell even when I replaced the MXL provided Mogami cables with Mogami/Neutrik connector cables that I have been using all this time. The wooden mic case is also nice. The cleaning cloth is also provided. Ease of Use: Condenser mic. Plug it into the power source. Turn the power source. 10dB switch. Bass roll off. Pretty easy to use. Just remember to warm up the tubes for at least 30 minutes if you want to get the best out of the mic. Quality: Solid construction. Value: At this price point (I got mine for US$519 + $90 postage to Australia...), you just can't go wrong. This coming from someone who has use Blue Kiwi, U87, sE Gemini II on a regular basis at my work. They are all brilliant microphones, don't get me wrong. The amazing thing is that Genesis...for the reasons that I cannot understand from the consumer point of view (where expensive = far better)...holds on its own against all these great mics. Manufacturer Support: Have not needed it yet. The Wow Factor: Simply, one of the most stunning looking mics out there. Brilliant design and colour scheme. Overall: Overall, fantastic microphone. The results you can get from this mic is phenomenal, not just for this price point, but for any price point. As stated earlier, you will need some EQ work, but is the case with most microphones in any case. The Chinese mics have come a long way in terms of improved sound quality. And this one, despite being made in China, is truly a winner. My only concern is that Chinese mics have the reputation of not "going the distance" like, say, Neumanns, Telefunken and AKG, many of which have last literally decades after decades of use. Having said that, once they do get broken, you'll have to sell your car just to get it repaired. Genesis, not much so. Anyway, hope this review (or rant) helped.
39 of 41 people (95.12%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"This is the truth the best mic for the price and perfomance" submitted October 30, 2011

Musical Background: Recording Engineer
Music Style: Hip Hop and R&b
Sound: This is a killer mic the best for the price its realy the truth it cuts threw the mix so good from male to female artist ive owed all kinds of mics from 100 -2000 thousand dollars the rode classic was one of those and the audio technica 1060 and ive record with a u87 and this mic is just as good if not better than those mics Get it its a great choice it looks as good as it sound thanx Feature: This mic comes with eveything you need in the box cable pop screen and the cables are the best mogami enough said Ease of Use: this mic is easy to use just make sure you warm it before you use it for the best sound Quality: great product its maid very good and it looks great! Value: This mic is worth the money hands down Manufacturer Support: Mxl staff is great you can call tech support and they will answer any ? that you may have about there products The Wow Factor: It looks great Overall: I want get another mic until the come out with a better one
12 of 14 people (85.71%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"definatley a pro sound..." submitted January 26, 2012

By L. White in Austin, TX
Musical Background: Award winning Producer and Engineer
Music Style: CCM, RnB, Alternative HipHop , gospel
Overall: Got this bad boy in last week. I put it thru the groovetubes supre, sounded great. But when I ran it the focusrite twin track pro, phenomenal!!! Warmth and clarity. What a blend. This Mic is a great Mic for anyone looking to depth warmth and clarity.

"definatley a pro sound..." submitted January 25, 2012

By L. White in Austin, TX
Musical Background: Award winning Producer and Engineer
Music Style: CCM, RnB, Alternative HipHop , gospel

When you call, mention priority code 20X-H9GS. Llame Gratis en Español: 844-432-7449