Korg microKorg-S Analog-Modeling Synthesizer and Vocoder Keyboard

Korg microKorg-S Analog-Modeling Synthesizer and Vocoder Keyboard

On top of a bigger, badder sound set and memory capacity, the microKorg-S adds a built-in 2.1 speaker system -- you won't need a power supply or PA to rock!

Overall:
Overall:
Submitted January 12, 2020 by M R
"Excellent Learning Platform"
So, I've been a guitar player mostly for years with a little bass, drums, and keys thrown in to balance things out. When it comes to synthesis, however, I'm a vestal virgin. I understood that midi was info and not tone but that was about the extent of my knowledge. Oscillators, filters, LFOs were a complete mystery to me along with how to get the various synths to handshake over midi. Buying this synth and a Beatstep pro have dramatically changed this. Simply reading the two manuals has revealed the nuts and bolts of synthesis clearly. I have learned so much in a couple days just taking the time to learn hands on. Sure, there are explanations all over the internet, but having hardware right beside you is the surest way to understand quickly. Now, as for the synth itself? Taking the above in to account, the synth sounds pretty good to me. I can't really judge the tone until I have spent more time with it to see the possibilities but what Ive heard is good. Korg certainly makes solid products with no visible corners cut, quality materials, sturdy construction, etc. I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a synth but especially as a gateway synth for the uninitiated: it changed my GAS from all guitar to guitar and synth gear.
Been playing since I was 6, and been performing since about the same time
Blues Rock, Electronica (I just can't call it EDM), Folk
3 of 4 people (75%) people found this review helpful. Did you?