Ibanez M510 A-Style Mandolin

Ibanez M510 A-Style Mandolin

With its balanced tone, excellent sustain, and high-level craftsmanship, the Ibanez M510 mandolin offers professional quality to the mandolinist on a budget.

Overall:
Overall:
Submitted April 6, 2017 by Andrew B in Tybee Island, GA
"First Impressions"
This review has been selected by our experts as particularly helpful.
I'm writing this review within an hour of first opening the package. As I never played a mandolin before, I can't draw on my experience nor make comparisons to other instruments, so I figured for a first-timer, that initial impression is what we're after.The mandolin was securely packaged and protected just as I would expect. Out of the box, the mandolin is stunning. The photographs don't do justice to the beauty of this instrument. It required just a quick tuning to bring all the strings up to pitch and I was able to play a very simple version of "Happy Birthday". This one is a birthday present for my wife who expressed interest in learning, and I wanted to sort of "serenade" her with it. I hope her first impression is as strong as mine—this is a great little instrument, regardless if you're a beginner or experienced.
Complete newbie when it comes to mandolin
It's a mandolin—I'm thinking bluegrass
8 of 8 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted November 28, 2013 by walt young
"NICE FOR THE PRICE"
I am new to mandolin but I do know what should and should not be for quality. My first purchase of a mandolin was one that the name begins with G. It was more expensive and totally unplayable and the finish and detail was sloppy. Now I know somewhat what should NOT be. The overall quality on the Ibanez is very nice. The only thing I could complain about was the tops of the frets were sharp. A little touch up with an emery board fixed that. I snugged up the truss rod and found the placement for the bridge with a tuner and it was ready to go. I did also change the strings to the Daddario J74s. One thing to note is the photos do not look like the mandolin you will get. The violin sunburst photo looks satin like. It is indeed HIGH GLOSS. As stated in the specs. The open pore photo is closer to the actual finish. The sunburst is a little more defined and the finish is like satin more natural wood looking. I personally like that. I am pleased with the overall quality, finish, attention to detail, and sound. PS: The cover plate is a little tricky. Lift it from the end gently and to put it back on slide it on from the end. (I called Ibanez support to ask about the open pore finish and with in minutes talked to a real person that answered my questions)
Play professionally
Country, blues.
19 of 20 people (95%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted February 24, 2012 by Randy Burbach in Hamtramck, MI
"Great starter mandolin"
I didn't need to adjust the truss rod like the other reviewer. No fret buzz at all. The tone is much richer than other entry-level mandolins I've tried.
Hobbyist. Bass, trombone
eclectic
11 of 11 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted October 15, 2013 by mark d in pleasant view, TN
"great mandolin for the price"
had to do a set up. but I do that on almost every instrument I buy, great sound and playability. well worth the cash. buy strings when you buy for sure. buy a case too if you're gonna play out.
mandolin, guitar, bass, keys
rock
2 of 2 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted February 18, 2012 by Larry Diuuzaoo in Norfolk, VA
"Not Bad once set up"
I had a HORRIBLE time with neck truss rod adjustment to correct G strings fret buzzing...and what a terrible buzzzing.....as for sound, this thing sounds realy good, a nice woody sound and fairly loud...stays in tune after a few tunings over a day or two...it's worth what you pay if you can do truss rod adjustments...
Guitar Harmonica Bass Mandolin
All styles
5 of 6 people (83%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted December 29, 2019 by Karen J in Menasha, WI
"Very playable"
This is meant to be my traveling instrument, for use in unprotected environments (train trips, camping, day trips to a nature center). I am very happy with the quality, though it does go out of tune much faster than my "good" mandolin does. That may just be due to my not having replaced the strings it came with. Bottom line is that I haven't put it down since it arrived about a week ago. A good purchase for the price.
Guitar, mandolin, horns