Ibanez GiO GRG7221M 7-String Electric Guitar

Ibanez GiO GRG7221M 7-String Electric Guitar

Take your playing to new highs (and lows) with the deep tone of the Ibanez GiO GRG7221M 7-string guitar -- its jumbo frets make solos and string bends easy.

Overall:
Overall:
Submitted December 5, 2019 by Tyler Clark in Buffalo, NY
"Great entry level 7 string"
Bought it thinking it would be very bad quality, just wanted to jump into realm of extended range guitars. The quality is much better than expected. Fretboard is very nice, not sure what the other guy was whining about as far as it "looking cheap". Action was great out of the box, didn't have to do any fretwork or file the nut. The pickups aren't amazing, but are much better than any other $200 dollar range guitars come with. The guitar is 25.5 scale, which is perfect for a smaller person like me who doesn't want to play a guitar that is extremely long. The neck is wide but still comfortable for my smaller hands. Other than replacing the pickups and tuners I don't see a reason to replace anything else. Intonation is spot on, the guitar is great for shredding with 24 jumbo frets. I will be buying the white one shortly for lower tunings as I prefer lighter gauge strings when playing in standard.
15 years, lead guitar
Metal/prog/fusion.
6 of 6 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted July 31, 2018 by Ant Stewart
"Solid 7 string for metal!"
Needed a cheap 7 string as addition to my range for down tuning. I’m no longer fooled by high price tags and my rig is so big anything delivers when playing metal. This guitar has some obvious flaw: tuners very cheap, but if you know how to string correctly then no problem. Eyelets in string through fall out when changing strings and nut channel for 7th string too narrow. PUPs are fine and five way selector unexpected on such a low priced guitar. Jack not great. I will probably change the tuners and jack in the future, but that’s about it. The neck, neck join and body are as nice as my $1000 Ibanez. The neck is very chunky, but great 400 radius. Simply put; amazing value guitar and great color! Neck out GIO and no one will tell the difference!
28 years
4 of 4 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted December 11, 2019 by Ryan L in Space Coast, FL
"Great 7 string for all genres!"
I did not buy this on zZounds. I happened to trade my 6 string Jackson JS22 for this beast! The pickups are powerful and the 5-way switch allows for some nice tones and that strat style sound.For $200 you cannot go wrong. It’s a great starter for those looking to pick up 7 string.
I have been playing guitar for 15 years. I normally just play at home and YouTube.
Rock, Metal, Djent, Progressive Rock, Acoustic
1 of 1 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted March 25, 2021 by Ben W in Rossville, GA
"N i c e"
This guitar blew me away as a cheap 7 string. I have spent 3x the money for Schecter previously and this one is hands down better in my opinion. -Nice thin maple neck, smooth satin almost finish feel on the back. -Pickups sound way better than you’d expect out of an inexpensive Ibanez. -Frets really nice! Just some buzz with new strings but there is no playability effecting. -Tuners are smooth! Again very nice for entry level pricing.
Clean or distorted this axe will be good for your sonic ventures.
I use behringer v-tone 15w amp - plugged into steindberg usb interface - plugged into FL studio - plugged into Yamaha HS5.
Feels like it’s made with higher quality materials than the price incentivizes.
Way better than other items in this price range.
Definitely good intro to the Ibanez family
Cheap! 7 string! Maple neck! Cool ‘sugar free red bull’ color blue paint.
MINIMUM WADE
Metal, HipHop

Submitted September 27, 2019 by Joe Doherty in Citrus Heights, CA
"Wish I got the white one"
This guitar is pretty good, and a good guitar if you like to modify your stuff. Cons: (Mostly nitpicks)The color was not what I expected. It is a very pale sky blue, almost grey in some lighting. I was expecting a more vibrant color to contrast nicely with the maple fretboard, so I was a bit disappointed because it wasn't what I was expecting. Seeing it now, I wish I went with the white one.The fretboard just looks cheap to me. This is my first maple fretboard guitar, so maybe that's just how they are, but the unfinished maple looks cheap. Probably going to put a finish on it to make it shine a bit more. A nitpick, I know. Fret ends were sharp. This has a lot to do with climate, but the fret ends were almost skin-tearing. nothing a quick filing job won't fix, but if you are a beginner, be aware of this. This happens to guitars of all price points, but I thought I should mention it.The pickups sound meh. The pickups just don't have the thickness I want. I will definitely be replacing them. I also had to lower them significantly after putting thicker strings on it in order to get a decent tone out of the bridge pickup, and I just can't get the neck pickup to sound good at all.The nut isn't cut thick enough for the 7th string. I need to get myself some nut files so that I can file it down because right now my intonation is way off because of it.Tuners are okay. Will replace them eventually but they work and don't feel horrible.5 Way switch is nice, but not wired the way I would like. The settings are: Bridge humbucker Bridge and neck single coils, hum-cancelingBoth humbuckers Neck single-coil, coil closest to the center.Neck humbucker It's fine if that's what you want, but not at all useful for the sounds I like.the output jack is loose. I had to take it out and push the connector bar inward to get a better connection so it wouldn't cut out, and it still feels cheap. The saddle screws are too tall and are kinda sharp on my palm. Beware if you like your action super low, you might need to just get some shorter screws (or cut these)The body wood is very soft and susceptible to dings. Took a small chunk off and don't even know how. Luckily some wood glue fixed it up quickly.Pros:It's a solid 7 string for the money. No glaring issues.Control knobs feel amazing, very solid, smooth turns.Very lightweight guitar, lighter than all of my 6 strings except my Telecaster.Wide 7 string neck feels really cool in your hands.Body shape looks and feels awesome. Sharp horns and forearm cutout look really cool.I love the Ibanez headstock and truss rod cover.Sounds great acoustically, will sound awesome with the right pickups.Sounds surprisingly great with clean chords.nice round heel joint for easy access to the higher frets.It Djents. Overall if you like to modify your guitars (Like me) then this guitar is a great way to get a 7 string in your hands. Also if you are a someone who really wants to try out the world of 7 strings, this is a great bet. Most of my cons are nitpicks, but I wish I had known them before I bought it. I will be painting this guitar (still keeping some of the original blue) and adding a finish to the neck, as well as replacing the pickups and changing the switch wiring. Just be ready to make some mods, and make sure you know what the color is before you buy it. Guitar colors can be so deceiving in the pictures.
Drummer and pianist for about 10 years, messing around with guitars for about the same time
Rock, Metal, Blues, Jazz, Classical, Electronic
1 of 1 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted February 20, 2019 by Brandon Mcclanahan in Lacey, WA
"Awesome"
Great quitar for the money, plays easy and it stays in tune very well. Beautiful color too. zZounds provides great service thanks!!
Over 30 years. Electric guitar, bass and drums
Rock, metal, grunge

Submitted September 25, 2018 by Stewart A
"Great budget 7 string!"
Not fooled by overpriced exotic guitars anymore after years of playing! Cheap guitar set up right is the most sensible option for playing seedy clubs anyways! A good rig makes anything sound decent! Few flaws: cheap tuners ( to be expected at this price) and eyelets fall out! Very annoying, but fixable. Great neck and body and the typical Ibanez built like a tank neck join! Just as good as my expensive Ibanez. PUPs not great at this price range, and will replace in future. I love the color and new it could be modded out very nicely! P. S. I blacked out the Gio!
30 years
Rock, jazz, metal
2 of 3 people (67%) people found this review helpful. Did you?