Gibson SG Tribute Electric Guitar (with Soft Case)

Gibson SG Tribute Electric Guitar (with Soft Case)

Dig into a meat-and-potatoes rock machine. The Gibson SG Tribute's mahogany/maple build and full-throated 490 pickups create a thick tone with extra gravy!

Overall:
Overall:
Submitted May 31, 2020 by Scott Kettelle in Prov., RI
"2020 Gibson SG Tribute"
It's a kick ass rocker. Though I changed the strings to 9's. Made a huge difference to me. This ax shreds. Killer quality. Yay USA made. You have one in ur hands for 5 minutes u wont wanna put it down .I love it.Rock On!!!
45 yrs.
Rnroll
8 of 8 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted June 3, 2020 by james Hartman in ripley, TN
"amazing player"
this is all ya need . . it is everything one would expect from Gibson ! this guitar is by far a great value if not Gibsons best bang for the buck . .490's are killer tonal monsters and the action can be set as low as you like due to it's factory plek job . . the awesome satin guitar finish breathes resonance into your mid section . . GREAT GUITAR GET ONE
30 yrs playing at home and small private get togethers
rock , blues
21 of 22 people (95%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted March 19, 2021 by a customer from gmail.com
"An Excellent Guitar!"
This is very nice guitar! Last year I ordered a 2019 SG standard that turned out have some QC issues. I sent it back and ended up getting a Gibson TV yellow special that's turned out to be the best guitar I've ever owned (go figure) but I still couldn't get the SG jones out of my system so I decided to order one of these tributes. I have always like the stripped down looks of the faded specials of the past but I never pulled the trigger on one. These new tributes look to be very similar to the old faded specials but I think that they've done some minor cosmetic upgrades to them. I like the lighter walnut stain on these tributes more than the darker worn brown specials. They also added a silk screen Gibby "thistle" to the head stock which really doesn't mean much to me but I guess it makes it look a little more like a standard. The satin or "vintage gloss" finish looks a little different than the old faded specials to me. It looks more like a semi gloss than the matte finish they applied to the faded specials. I may be in the minority but I like the looks of this SG more then the fancy but boring "cherry" or "ebony" of the standards. I like the visible texture of wood grain and the lighter shade of walnut stain they used on these tributes. The wood on mine was very well matched on the front. On the back you can tell that they used two, maybe three, pieces of mahogany for the body but from the front it looks like one solid piece of wood until you get right up on it. The fretboard on mine was dryish and needed a lemon oil treatment but it wasn't as bad as the fretboard on my Special. There were also no tool marks from dressing the neck binding (because there is none) like there was on my special. I feel as though this guitar would look better with nickel pickup covers and reflector knobs so I will probably add those as an upgrade. The "poker chip" was included in the gig bag but not installed on the guitar. I will probably leave it off as it makes the control area look cleaner and allows more of the beautiful wood grain to show through. The frets and dot makers were well done with no sharp ends. The fretboard played great and the frets appear to have been "plekked". Setup was great and ready to rip right out of the box. Tuning stability was good after I changed the strings and stretched them in good. Pots and controls seem sturdy and responsive. The satin maple neck felt nice as far as the texture but it was a little fat and wide for my liking. I was expecting it to be more like the neck profile on my Special which is fatter than a slim taper but it just fills the web of my hand, between my thumb and forefinger, and doesn't impede the "thumb over top" playing style that I use quite a bit. This SG has a flat area on the back of the neck and thicker shoulders and I fell like it favors more of a thumb behind the neck playing style that jazz players and shredders tend to prefer. It's not a thin "shredder" neck like an Ibanez but the flat spot on the back and thick shoulders made me have to shorten my strap and play the guitar higher up on my torso than I like in order to play some songs but I soon got used to it so it's not that big of a deal. The upper fret access was hindered IMO by the thickness of the shoulders and width of the neck which increases the farther up the neck you get but I use this guitar more for heavy rhythm playing so, again, it's not a big deal to me. If Gibson would improve the neck profile on this guitar I feel as though it would be a much more versatile guitar but then it would compete with higher end SG's so there ya go. The 490s in this guitar are very good pickups IMO. They are slightly hotter than PAF in output with prominent vocal like mids to my ears; great blues-rock p'ups for sure. They are noticeably lower in output than the P90s in my special which is okay because I use pedals to compensate for the differences in tone and output when switching between guitars during a set. They 490t in the bridge is probably my favorite. It can go from a jangly, chordy, rhythm to crunchy power chord riffs using the volume knob on the guitar and it retains clarity and definition when playing heavyish drop D rhythms with more gain. My LP Special is my go to guitar for playing "chordy stuff" (which is about 90% of the time) and soloing but the SG comes out when I need more chunk to my palm muted drop d riffs although the 490s are bright and articulate enough to do do the chordy stuff too. I use this guitar to do a drop D version of "Copperhead road". I play Steve's mandolin riff in the middle position then switch over to the bridge pickup after the "smell the whiskey burning" part and it sounds great never muddy or harsh. It also does the lower gain double drop D Neil Young rhythm stuff very well. The "soft case" that came with this guitar is the same as the ones that you get with the regular Standard. It's very nice as far as "soft cases" go I suppose but, IMHO, it's still not much better than a gig bag in function in that does not offer the same level of protection that a hard case does but at the price point these tributes are going for I feel that that's acceptable because it leaves some spare change in my pocket to get a proper hard case which is a must when traveling with my guitar. So if you're looking for a stripped down Gibson to add to your arsenal I can highly recommend this SG tribute. The thinner nitro finish to me is a plus and trapezoid fret markers won't make you play or sound any better; just ask Toni Iommi, Frank Zappa and Pete Townsend.
1 of 2 people (50%) people found this review helpful. Did you?