When you call, mention priority code 1ZN-9MFM
For delivery by Dec. 24, order by 5 p.m. EST on Thursday, Dec. 20 and select 2-day shipping.

Rating and Reviews: Gibson 2012 SG Special '70s

This lefty Gibson SG Special pays tribute to a time when rock was king and the riffs were huge. A pair of mini-humbuckers produce a thick, distinct sound.

"Absolutely love it! 9 out of 10" submitted June 14, 2018

By Christopher S in LEE'S SUMMIT, MO
Musical Background: 25+ years pro
Music Style: Blues, Rock, Metal
Sound: This thing is a real burner when you want it to be! It cleans up really nice also! Set up was great out of the box, I only had to lower the strings for my playing style! I play hard rock, metal, and blues and it does all 3 with no problems! Feature: Overall, this is a workhorse of a guitar! Nice solid vintage tuners, great satin finish, no binding, it's a real go getter! Ease of Use: A+ for sound and playability! Quality: Seems to be a solid, well made guitar! That should last a very long time! Only the pickguaurd needed cleaned up! Value: Very well valued! Manufacturer Support: N/A The Wow Factor: 9 out of 10! Overall: Ok, the only complaint I have is a cosmetic issue. The pickguard around the cut edges were not cleaned up after machining. After taking that off and cleaning it up... perfect Gibson SG for the price! Stays in tune, pickups are great, finish was perfect, great feel and playability, and this one is not heavy at the breadstick like most SG's.

"Unbelievable guitar at a stupid nice price" submitted November 9, 2018

By Zach P in Memphis, TN
Musical Background: Decade +, Gigging Musician, Recording
Music Style: Indie Rock, Rock, Garage Rock
Overall: With a discount, to get this guitar under $600 is a crazy good deal, really. I got this lefty SG in the ebony finish and what you are getting is a new old stock terrific SG. I changed the strings after getting it since they'd been on there for 6 years - after that, it was ready to go. I really haven't had to make any other adjustments. The pickups are wonderful, the neck is just perfect (it is a cross between a slim taper and a thicker neck, splitting the difference, but being thin near the nut). This means the neck is really comfortable. The finish is great, it looks classy, and sounds awesome.Oh - it's also SUPER light. This folks is the perfect gigging guitar. I can't to play my first show with it in a few days. Make sure to get some strap locks - you don't want to have to worry about neck issues with a Gibson. What an awesome guitar for us lefties who have a hard time finding awesome guitars at great prices.

"Great Value!" submitted June 13, 2018

By Chris L in Corvallis, OR
Overall
Overall: Kuddos to zZounds for price-matching SamAsh, for a different color no less! Replaced the strings, oiled the dried-out fretboard (thing has been setting in a warehouse past 6 years). Guitar is 2012 model with mini-hums as shown in picture, not the 2013 model listed in description. Sounds great thru my Marshall amp!

"Excellent NOS 2012 Gibson bought in 2018" submitted August 29, 2018

By Derald Solomon in Hooksett, NH
Musical Background: Hobby player
Music Style: Rock and Hard Rock
Sound: Very musical and responsive. Pickups clean up nicely and get dirty with just increased pick pressure. Works perfectly for Rock, Hard Rock or Classic Rock. Feature: Excellent pickups. Excellent out of box setup. Nice looking finish that’s not glossy or sticky. Color scheme is sweet looking. I installed knob pointers, the only thing missing cosmetically. Ease of Use: Took about 20 min for me to dial in the ‘sound’ I have in my head. I dial in the same sound with every guitar and amp I have. Very easy to get along with this guitar. It spoke to me 5 min into my session. It’s a keeper. Quality: Fit and finish perfect. No cosmetic defects at all. Setup was great out of the box. Needed neck pickup adjusting for my preference. Action left unchanged. Unless damaged this guitar will outlast my ability to play it. Value: At blow out prices this guitar is a steal. I would not have paid full retail price for it. I did pay full retail for my ‘17 SG Standard. Manufacturer Support: Haven’t dealt with Gibson regarding this axe. However I have own other guitars and haven’t had any customer service issues with Gibson. The Wow Factor: Overall an excellent guitar. Looks sharp. Plays amazing. Sounds boss. Overall: This is an excellent guitar! I am very happy with it. I have to admit I was quite surprised since of course it’s 6 years old, new in the box, but once I got it out and open, played perfectly! I made no changes to it other than tuning. Perfect!I was unsure of the mini humbuckers. In fact I had a line on a pair of P90s to replace them. Once I spent a few hours dialing the mini humbuckers in however, I fell in love! They get that P90 spank and clarity yet mash up awesome when the gain is poured on. zZounds totally shipped this guitar in less than 24 hours. I got it about 18 hours after I bought it. Free shipping .. That’s astonishing!!The guitar is wonderful to play. The 70’s neck is right in between the 50’s and 60’s style. That is, it’s thicker than the 60’s or modern SlimTaper, but thinner than the 50’s baseball bats. The volute at the headstock adds a little beef to the neck when playing cowboy chords but does so without making the whole neck thick. Good job Gibson! Neck is maple and baked maple fretboard. Looks like Rosewood. Can’t tell any sonic difference if there is one. The neck in my opinion feels stiffer, more sturdy. Maybe that’s just me. I’m comparing the neck to my ‘17 SG Standard. The fit and finish is perfect. Not a dent, scratch or finish blemish to be seen. Out of the box the pickups were adjusted nicely. I lowered the neck pickup a few turns and that helped me get my clean/overdrive tones when switching pickups. i almost always have to shield a Gibson guitar (shielding paint) and have always replaced the pots and wiring. Not in this case. Literally no static/hum when plugged into a dimed amp (Marshall Origin 20). The pots are smooth and static free and to my surprise, volume pots are linear (I prefer linear volume pots)! 500k for all four. I don’t have to drop another $75 on pots/caps/switch/wiring !!! Thanks Gibson! The pots work fine but in my preference they are a little stiff. I like Emerson low torque pots but I’m not changing these out! BTW this guitar was hand wired. No PCB! I got the Vintage Burst model. I saw a 2017 Special with 490/490 pickups back last year in the same color scheme. I didn’t buy it because I didn’t have the $1200. Now I have a similar model in the exact same color. I think this color looks smashing. Thank you Gibson for making a left handed version in a color other than black or red!!Even the strings are nice although I will replace them with Ernie Ball Power Slinky (11-48). The Gibson ones are 10-46 nearly identical to what I prefer. The nut is Corian and although I prefer Zero Glide Zero Fret or TUSQ nuts I’ll keep this one for now since it’s cut correctly (amazing I know!) and the strings don’t bind up. The timers are TonePro which came from the factory. I guess it’s a special option on Gibson’s guitars. They work fine. To me they are stiff. I like HipShot or Grover Locking Tuners. I might change the factory ones out because once you have locking tuners you can’t go back! That’s strictly a preference however. Overall this is a 5 star guitar. It’s a Special even in 2012 so it doesn’t come with all the top end features like binding or mother of pearl inlays or locking tuners. The guitar gets 5 stars overall but 4.5 stars for features since It doesn’t come with locking tuners or binding. I installed knob pointers since what’s the point of numbers on the knobs if you have no reference? For $7 it should come with them installed or available for install in the case candy. BTW no Gibson guitar strap included in the bag. 5 star for manufacturing support since it was Gibson production line who made a lefty SG that’s not lame or only in Black or Red. Good job Gibson thanks for helping us lefties have cool looking and reasonably priced quality axes made in the USA.

When you call, mention priority code 1ZN-9MFM. Llame Gratis en Español: 844-432-7449
Lunes-Domingo de 9AM a 7PM EST