When you call, mention priority code 20G-M9FC

Rating and Reviews: Gibson Southern Jumbo

Late '40's model with upgraded features reflecting the charm and style of the South.

Overall

"Beautiful, Angelic Sounding Sloped 12 Fret" submitted May 30, 2015

By Jackson Nichols in Dalzell, SC
Overall
Musical Background: Been playing over 20 years, play out once in a awhile, love my acoustics!
Music Style: Blues, Classic Rock, Alt, Country, Rag, Classical, etc.
Overall: I typically prefer to wait on a few months before I write a review on an instrument, especially something in this price range, but since it's a limited run, I thought perhaps I could persuade someone to pull the trigger on it. I went back and forth on this model and in the end, all I did was deprive myself of playing time on the best Gibson I've ever touched, bar none. In fact, it may very well be the best acoustic I've ever played, period. My concern was that it might be too warm sounding being a 12 fret, but suffice it to say that I was wrong. It really does sound Angelic to my ears. I'm picky about action and set-up, and it came perfect out of the box, something that never happens to me. Finger pick it, strum the heck out of it, it is up to the challenge and then some! This is definitely the most beautiful instrument I own. I love vintage fire/tiger stripe pick guards, so that's a plus for me. Beats the stereotypical black pick guard that so many instruments don. And I love the vintage "Only a Gibson Is Good Enough" on the head stock. They should put that on all of their acoustics. I'm a history nerd and it's a nice nod to their vintage heritage. The Adirondack top is just beautiful. The inlays of the Southern Jumbo are stunning, and I love the vintage tuners, which hold tune perfectly for me. This is without a doubt a Custom Shop Guitar. Not boxy sounding at all, and even with hog back and sides, there's this new element of bass that I love and have never come across in mahogany bodied Gibson's before. To prove that I'm not just exaggerating because I love the thing so dang much, those of you who are picky may notice a bit of adhesive in the right light, in the right spots of the pick guard. I could do without that, but it's just not enough to take a star off for. The neck feels the full 1.725" to me, and though I have small fingers/hands compared to most, I can easily navigate the fret board with zero complaints. Comes with a nice Certificate of Authenticity on a leather, Gibson stamped plaque. If you want to spend a starting price of 5 to 6 grand for a slope shoulder, more power to you, but I am picky and don't like shelling out thousands for much of anything these days, but I have NO buyer's remorse on this one. It's like I read somewhere, "when Gibson does one right, they really do it right!" Remember, there are only 65 of these in the world, and I read where North America didn't get the majority of them.

When you call, mention priority code 20G-M9FC. Llame Gratis en Español: 844-432-7449