Focusrite ISA Two Dual-Channel Microphone Preamplifier

Focusrite ISA Two Dual-Channel Microphone Preamplifier

Record two channels with a stunning 80 dB of clean Focusrite gain with the ISA Two microphone preamp, featuring high-end Lundahl LL1538 transformers.

Overall:
Overall:
Submitted January 5, 2013 by Bruce B in Fort Collins, CO
"Steller Mic Pre!"
I needed a pair of "steller" Mic. preamps that were "matched" for stereo miking in the studio. I bought a Focusrite Liquid Channel preamp a few years back and have never been happier with the quality of sound. I had the choice of spending >2k for another Liquid Channel or try the new ISA 2 for less than 1/2 the price: I'm SO glad that I made the choice that I did! The ISA 2 has a huge ammount of gain (80dB) with basically no noise. I have used the ISA 2 mainly with a matched set of Neumann KM184s and as a keyboard and Bass guitar directbox / preamp in the studio to date. The detail in the sound and lack of any audible noise on the recorded tracks sold me! In the past I had issues with getting enough gain on soft instruments(finger picked acoustic guitars indian flutes ect..) without raising the noise floor.....no more!! Now if I can figure out how to get folks not to breathe while recording ;-) You can hear EVERYTHING! The only thing that would have made the ISA 2 better is an A\D converter option. Most of us live in the age of DAWs. If that is you, rememeber that you need a great A\D converter paired up with this preamp to truly be blown away. P.S. I have never had any trouble with any of my Focusrite gear to date, so I can't really comment on the Mfg. Support question.
Audio Pro. Avid musicain > 40 years
All
8 of 9 people (89%) people found this review helpful. Did you?