map marker icon Shipping to 20149 (Ashburn)
When you call, mention priority code 1ZP-B3RD

Rating and Reviews: Epiphone Bjorn Gelotte LP

Built in the image of his beloved Les Paul Custom, this Björn Gelotte signature features dual EMG MetalWorks pickups for searing Swedish heavy metal tone.

"The Jotun - Sleeping beauty" submitted April 14, 2018

By David R. in Scottsdale, AZ
Overall
Musical Background: Playing for 20 years. Guitar, Bass, Drums. Jam at home studio.
Music Style: Classical, Metal, Rock, Anything that catches my ear.
Sound: Beautiful, rich deep Rhythm that glows with the EMG set! Sharp, snappy and bright when set to the Treble selection. Feature: PROS - Beautiful, timeless finish/color. EMG Metalworks set. Incredible Value for the money. A high-end Gibson Les Paul custom hidden under the Epiphone banner.CONS - Out of the box Fret buzz. Needs a setup badly. Not a great product for the novice player who expects a right-out-of-the-box experience. Ease of Use: Once setup plays like a high-end Gibson Les paul. Quality: Exceptional quality for fit and finish. Value: Again, once this guitar is given a setup it is incredible value for the money. A wonderful limited edition axe. Manufacturer Support: n/a The Wow Factor: The gold hardware mixed with the bone white finish and overall classic stylings make this guitar a must have for those players that want to bring class to their Metal-outlook. Overall: I was very excited for this one due to many factors which include a killer set of “MetalWorks” EMG pickups, a beautiful Bone white finish and an overall timeless look. Once my Jotun reached me I cracked open the case and fired her up. That is where the big fat reality hammer hit me. Fret buzz, terrible action, and a faulty Rhythm/Treble switch only made things all the more disappointing. BUT, I was determined to give this beauty a setup and see if she could shine and boy was I right! After some tweaks and tinkering the Jotun came to life and now she plays simply incredible. I feel bad for the novice customer that buys one of these in the crap condition that I received mine and they write off the guitar as just a sub-par brand that isn't going to live up to Gibson. I've played a lot of LPs over the years and this Jotun with a bit of love and attention? played just as well as some of the most expensive LPs available. Epiphone - PLEASE don't sully this beauty due to a crap setup. I give this axe a very serious 9 out of 10 once setup.

"A tonal masterpiece" submitted August 25, 2019

By Jon B. in Joplin, MO
Musical Background: Various over over 20 years of playing
Music Style: All
Overall: I bought this guitar to see how it compared to a Gibson. I have had a custom reissue in the past and regretted getting rid of it. After receiving this I was shocked and amazed!The neck is on par with my Gibson les Paul custom. Yes, it is a big neck but it is something I prefer despite having small hands. It is not at all hard to play and the ebony fingerboard is gorgeous.The weight is a bit heavy but not insane. The mahogany body without a cap may help with this. The sustain is as good as any les Paul so there is nothing to be concerned about there.Pickups add to the value, as an emg 85/81 is always welcome. Yes, many think of it as a heavy metal combo but that is not the extent of its capabilities. Quiet and powerful are better ways to describe them.In Flames was never a band I cared for but this guitar is amazing! I might change some cosmetic things, but nothing that affect the sound. I am certain it will accompany me to my next gig or session.

"awesome guitar" submitted October 7, 2016

By Matt W. in Pennsburg, PA
Overall
Musical Background: 17 years experience. Finally getting back into a band after more the 10 years.
Music Style: Jam band, rock, hard rock, metal, blues...
Overall: With the meaty 59' neck, solid mahogany body, and EMG pickups, this guitar sounds and plays amazing. It has the feel of a Gibson Les Paul traditional, and i sincerely mean that because i have one and played them back to back. The only thing really missing is the sweet smell of a nitro finish. The one i received is flawless, both the case and the guitar. The action was set up perfect, although, i did change the strings before actually playing. This guitar is worth every penny. Hats off to Bjorn Gelotte and Epiphone for creating the wonderful guitar.
16 of 17 people (94.12%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"A stunning looking guitar with great features, but some minor issues." submitted August 19, 2019

By Rodrigo P. in Miami, FL
Overall
Musical Background: Been Playing on and off for many years, Mostly guitar, some bass and just jam at home.
Music Style: Rock, metal, pop
Overall: I was looking for a guitar to be able to play some heavier songs and eventually just have it as drop C tuned guitar to play some Kill switch Engage, Gojira, Machine Head ect. I didn't want another 7 string and was looking at Charvels, Ibanez and others. While browsing on the inter-webs. I came across this guitar and the features were amazing. I also like that it had a meaty neck that would be perfect for down-tuning. The price was definitely right, as its was 899.00 at other sites. After receiving the guitar It was shipped very nice from ZZounds and I liked that it came in its own case. I'll give the pros and cons in bullet points.Pros-Nice case-Fretwork is great -EMG's sound incredible and are quiet (looks amazing in gold)-Mahogany body gives a nice meaty sound with tight bottom end-Ebony Board gives a nice counter with bright, snappy sparkle (like a maple)-Grover Tuners are smooth-Stays in tune-Factory set up is spot on. -fit and finish -BEER bottle opener in the back-Locking Straps included-Pick-guard included if you want to install it. Now The con's-The volume sticker came off on the bridge pickup knob-The bridge volume is scratchy when turning.Other than that the guitar is perfect. I thought about returning it and getting another one but it plays so good and its not really a big deal for the price thatl I got. Maybe ZZounds can send me some Deoxit and a new knob lol. Overall its a great playing and sounding guitar. I don't minds it's imperfections and its plays beautifully and sounds so good through my Boss Katana amp. I feel like it gives it some character. Or I am a sucker for broken things. Just like my ex wife. Bottom line: For the price , definitely get one!

"Epiphone Bjorn Gelotte Les Paul Custom" submitted May 25, 2016

By Tim F. in Bluff city, TN
Musical Background: Jam at home
Music Style: Rock,Blues
Overall: This was my second purchase from zZounds using the Play as you Pay program..I just have to say I love the Play as you Pay program!! Makes it easy to get the gear you want.. The first Bjorn I received had a broken neck..No damage to the shipping boxes..I called them and explained the situation..They emailed me a return label within 15 minutes with no questions asked..I returned it back to them and they shipped me another Bjorn..This one was in excellent shape with no damage..Setup was great outta the box..I just can't say enough good things about zZounds..They have great customer service and stand behind what they sell..I will do all my music gear shopping with them in the future. They are just Awesome!!!

"Do not hesitate, BUY THIS GUITAR!" submitted September 9, 2019

By Steven J. in Indianapolis, IN
Musical Background: 16 years experience
Music Style: Metal, Classic Rock, Ambient, Alternative, Indie, Reggae, Electronic, Classic Country
Overall: The Bjorn Gelotte "Jotun" Les Paul Custom is a beast! Killer tone. Do not let anyone talk you out of it with that "EMGs sound the same in everything" mumbo jumbo. Distortion is beefy without sounding muddy at all. Cleans are incredibly brilliant and do not sound snappy like a lot of guitars with the 81-85 set. The neck is like a baseball bat. Super thick and round yet extremely smooth.The featured photos absolutely do not do this axe justice. It is simply stunning in person. Zzounds was a breeze ordering from and it shipped on time as expected within two (2) days. The case is solid and very compact. It comes with a black pickguard but I ordered a vintage cream colored one off Amazon for a more fitting look. Have no fear of buyer's remorse, this is a versatile and beautiful wolf in sheep's clothing!

"B.I.G." submitted August 8, 2019

By Bruce M. in AUBURN, NE
Musical Background: 30+ years jamin , Jam at Home only now
Music Style: Metal. Heavy Metal, Some Heavy Rock
Manufacturer Support: N/A Overall: Ordered and Received in 2 days. Flawless finish. the case is super, not a cheap floppy box. This Guitar pays so amazing I can't put it down. Although I have one issue. one of the Volume Control knobs just slips right off. It's like it has to much paint in the hole or something to seat on the POT Shaft, But I want this guitar and don't want to send it back and have to wait. Not sure what to do about that. I'm not going to mess with it and try to get it to stick on.

"What a guitar!" submitted November 11, 2019

By John P. in Littleton, NH
Overall
Musical Background: Playing off and on since 90.
Music Style: rock. metal
Overall: My BG came ready to play besides tuning up. What a beauty! The neck is chunkier then my EBMM Luke 3 but I expected that of course. This guitar is all mahogany so it's heavy real heavy. Having EMG active makes this guitar scream. I was amazed at the sounds these pups put out. Very high quality guitar . I would have expected to pay far more. Case candy includes a signed certificate . I would highly recommend buying one of these, you won't regret it. I play mainly rock and metal and this baby is made for that.

"Outstanding guitar!" submitted January 22, 2016

By Michael B. in Mather, CA
Music Style: Rock & metal
Overall: Love this guitar. Plays, sounds & looks great in every way. For $800 it is so worth it. Craftmanship was exceptional. Only changes I made was install a new set of D'Addario 9 strings, lowered action & slight adjust of the truss rod which I do on every new guitar. Buy this guitar!

"Great guitar for a killer price" submitted August 21, 2018

By Robert H. in Rancho Cordova, CA
Music Style: Rock, Country
Overall: Ordered it yesterday afternoon and it showed up today at 1pm. Right out of the box it sounds killer and has no blemishes or defects. This guitar is basically a Gibson LP Custom at a way cheaper price too. In my opinion, Epiphone is becoming the new KING

"Great guitar" submitted November 11, 2019

Overall
Overall: I don’t have much to say. It’s beautiful. You have to set it up ie. intonation, strings, the works. But once you do. Perfect. Buy this guitar. You won’t regret it.

"Excellent Guitar!" submitted August 21, 2016

By Mike G. in Staunton, VA
Overall
Musical Background: 33 yrs., various bands at one time or another, mainly jam at home now/occasional gig
Music Style: Blues, Rock, Classic Rock, Hard Rock, Metal
Sound: Sounds incredible! Many people turn their noses up at active pickups, but I think that these are very versatile. If plugged into a Plexi, lower gained amp, you can go from an almost clean, bluesy break-up to a nice crunch with the flick of the pickup switch, or turn of the Volume knob. Of course, plugged into a high gain amp, you get all the saturation, sustain, and gnarly tones you could ask for. Feature: Well, it's a true Les Paul Custom: all Mahogany body (no maple), Ebony fretboard, Block inlays, binding all around, gold hardware, etc. What sets this apart, are the EMG's and Grover tuners. Excellent. I like that the only identifying feature is the subtle change of the headstock inlay and truss rod cover. Classy. It comes with a set of "strap locks", although they don't appear to actually lock..I purchased a set of Schaller strap locks (as I do for every guitar I own)-this is the only part I see having to change. Ease of Use: Most easily playable guitar I own. Was set up a little low from the factory (standard, I like high action and thick strings). Most people will be happy with the way it comes. Quality: This appears to be very well made. I did see one tiny spot where the ebony finish bled onto the first layer of binding a bit (hardly noticeable), and perhaps the fret ends could use a bit more attention, but neither affects playability or detracts from the guitar whatsoever. Overall I'm very impressed. Value: Well worth the price. Manufacturer Support: No info yet. I did notice one of the case latches is a little bent, but I think I can probably straighten it out. I'm definitely not sending it back over this. The Wow Factor: If you like Les Paul Customs, you'll like this. Overall: First off, a little background. Been playing for 30+ yrs.Currently own 5 electrics and 2 acoustics: -1988 Charvel Model 4 w/EMG's (81,SA,SA +boost circuit) -1994 Epiphone G-400 w/Seymour Duncan's (Seth Lover -N, SH-4 B) + Sperzel locking tuners -1999 Gibson SG Special w/Gibson (Toni Iommi -B, and stock 490R -N) + Sperzel locking tuners -2006 Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Vintage Mahogany w/EMG's (81 -B, 85 -N) + Sperzel locking tuners -and of course this guitar. I've also owned a couple higher-end guitars: a 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard AAA flamed maple -iced tea burst, and a PRS SC-250 vintage sunburst 10-Top. Now for this beast of a guitar. Wow! Everything about this guitar screams quality. The build, fit, finish, components, hardware, case, presentation, even the set-up out of the box are all top notch. Considering that it comes equipped with all the hardware I would install myself, as well as a really nice, unique case, ebony fretboard, etc..this is a hell of a deal.

When you call, mention priority code 1ZP-B3RD. Llame Gratis en Español: 844-432-7449
Martes 9AM a 7PM EST

Please enter your shipping zip code: