Epiphone SG Special Electric Guitar
BACK IN STOCK

Epiphone SG Special Electric Guitar

Sometimes two soapbar P-90 pickups is all you need. Featuring a simple wraparound "lighting bolt" tailpiece, the Epiphone SG Special is a pure rock machine.

Overall:
Overall:
Submitted August 8, 2020 by Curtis C in Louisville, KY
"BLOWN AWAY"
Guitar was perfect out of the box, paint was perfect, set up was great!! you couldn't ask for more and i absolutely love this company.
40 yrs
Rock N Roll
10 of 10 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted February 10, 2021 by David M in Bayville, NJ
"Epiphone sg special"
We get the - " it was great out of the box " stories , but this isnt one of em.This epi sg is a very basic guitar , no bells or whistles. 2 p - 90 pickups , its very light, compared to my gibson sg.No neck dive. But it did need a set up. Action was high. No biggie
For the price , and the sound, you really cant beat it. Very comfortable to play. A fast neck, and the p 90s give it a punch.
Epiphone might not use top notch materials like gibson, but epiphones are assembled well. If yoy close your eyes , you really cant tell between this epiphone sg , and the real deal, sound wise.
I like the p-90s , and its light in weight. And very comfortable .
Epiphone guitars are usually assembled well. But they use cheaper materials to make their guitars affordable.
This epiphone sg is worth the $$ just be prepared to get it set up. To your liking.
N/a
Well, its a basic sg special. Very functional. Its not an eye catcher , some may even say it looks very plain. But wait till you plug the bastard in! Those p - 90s , a metal pick , and click on some over drive, and youll hear magic!
Playing for 15 yrs
Hard rock , blues , some country.
1 of 1 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted February 11, 2021 by Josh H in Des Moines, IA
"Epiphone has upped their game"
I have owned several guitars from entry level Epiphones to Gibson Custom Shops over the years and I have to say I am extremely impressed.One of my boys has been learning guitar this year and, after struggling to keep a Squire Mini Stratocaster playable, I decided it was time for an upgrade. This SG Special was in the compact/light body style I knew would work for his small frame and a color he liked. After watching/reading some reviews I was a little concerned about the neck/fret quality. But, it checked all of the other boxes so we ordered it.I have to say I am blown away by the quality at this price point. Does it sound/play like a Gibson? Not quite. But it is closer than it has any right to be for under $400.Out of the box the action was very high, but that was easy to fix. Despite the neck having virtually no relief, it had no fret buzz when the action was set to Gibson spec. That was a big surprise to me. The action at the nut was better than my Gibson Custom ES-335. The fretwork is good and the binding is smooth. Parts quality is also higher than I would expect at this price point. Pickups are a bit thin, but have that P90 sound. The only complaint I’d have is that there is some neck dive, and that’s never fun.For a beginner guitar, this is an amazing value and I would absolutely recommend it to anyone. Heck, this is good enough to keep you happy well beyond your beginner years.

Submitted November 8, 2020 by a customer from yahoo.com
"Fantastic value!"
Bought this guitar two weeks ago.Used it on stage a week ago.Great sound and playability. Before you buy the Gibson, play the Epi, and save yourself a grand.
I've been playing guitar for 55 years.
Classic rock, blues, metal.
1 of 1 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted March 2, 2021 by a customer from aol.com
"An SG that connects the past and present!"
I had a 1970 Gibson SG P90 Special with the original tremolo bar. My Dad bought it for me brand new, with a flat hard shell case for my birthday. Hard to believe, that it cost a mere $200 plus tax back in the day, which was expensive relatively speaking. Fat neck, fat sound, running through my 8 - 10” greenback Marshall cab and matching Small Box 50 watt EL34 all tube head. This beast cost all of $580.00, tax included at Sam Ash, with covers included. The purpose of this long diatribe is to express my joy with the purchase of my Pelham Blue P90 SG Special by Epiphone! Great price, tone to the bone, and lives up to it’s big brother Gibson in every way. I just love this guitar! Buy one! You won’t be disappointed!

Submitted March 1, 2021 by a customer from aol.com
"An SG that connects the past and present!"

Submitted November 18, 2020 by a customer from gmail.com
"2020 Epiphone SG Special"
I ordered one of these in the sparkling burgundy and received it quickly from zZounds. Overall I like it quite a bit and the neck and frets are finished to a very high standard and make playing a pleasure. The major turn off, was that the action was sky high when it arrived and it looked like someone used the wrong sized screwdriver to turn the bridge posts. The result were marks and rough tops on the bridge posts. Not good at they bit into my picking hand when trying to mute, etc. I hope this is a 1 time occurrence. Someone in Epiphone's QC Dept. Should look into this.Once I adjusted the bridge posts (with the correct sized screwdriver, the action was nice, neck flat, and no truss rod adjustment is required as of now.Feel it is a good value, good playing and sounding instrument. I just wish the bridge studs hadn't been so hacked up and left with barbs.
2 of 2 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted December 1, 2020 by Michael P in Easthampton, MA
"Epiphone Shines Again!"
I have wanted an SG with P-90's for a few years, just couldn't justify Gibson pricing (as I think Gibson is an incredibly overpriced and overrated product anyway...if you're going to spend big money on a real quality instrument, get a Gretsch!)...I saw these on the zZounds site and took the plunge for the money...glad I did...finish was flawless, neck and frets were excellent with zero fret buzz, intonation was perfect, stays in tune and the sound was just what I was looking for out of this axe...I lowered the action a hair with tiny turns on the bridge wheels and was set. Sweet guitar and incredibly affordable for this quality. Epiphone has really stepped up their game over the past years, and I now own 4 in my collection...all top quality and all at a fraction of an overblown Gibson price. Epiphone and Gretsch make up the majority of my 20 guitars, and this Pelham Blue SG will stay!
Playing/recording/songwriting 55 years -
Whatever pops out.
2 of 2 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted August 18, 2020 by a customer from hotmail.com in Easthampton, MA
"Sweet Guitar"
This review has been selected by our experts as particularly helpful.
I ordered the SG Special from zZounds on Saturday afternoon...it was on my doorstep at 8:30AM Monday morning in perfect condition...well packaged and no damage at all. I went over this guitar head to toe and not a scratch or a thing wrong. Pelham Blue finish is very nice. It came almost perfectly set up...just needed to lower the strings a tad to my liking. Slim taper neck on this SG feels great! Not "chunky" at all. I am also impressed with the Epiphone soap-bar P-90's....they actually sound nice! I even like the neck pick up mixed with the bridge in the middle position...but when you throw the bridge pick-up on by itself, it has that great distinct P-90 sound with that little bit of "slap" that gives the P-90's it's distinctive sound...very nice. Guitar is light as well...very comfortable. For this price point, this is an outstanding value. Tuners hold the tuning in place just fine. The only thing I'm going to do is change out the white "plastic" nut for a decent one. It's the only thing I'm going to touch at this point. I own 16 guitars ranging from from Rickenbacker to Gibson to Fender To Gretsch to Epiphones, and I have to say, Epiphone has really stepped up their game and quality over the last few years...they are really putting out some very fine instruments that can't be beat for the money. I have an Epi Les Paul Standard that plays better than a Gibson (IMHO) without any of the G and D string tuning issues. I look forward to recording and playing with this SG. I recommend this axe all day long.
Sounds great as is...but replace the nut and it will be that much better.
Nut is cheap...spend a few bucks and get a new one.
P-90's sound great!
Very well made product for this price point.
Excellent value.
Have not had to deal with Epiphone or zZounds on this item.
P-90's in an SG....should be fun for a long time.
Playing and recording 55 years...may go back out and gig again after Covid goes away.
5 of 6 people (83%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted October 30, 2020 by Steve G in Rochester, NY
"Nice guitar for money"
It,s a decent guitar for the money but definitely not anything a professional would gig with unless you were in high school. Cheap guitar that plays nice but not anywhere near high quality product but great for a beginner. Nothig you would ever gig with
Been playig for over 25 years
Rock, Santana, blues, all styles
1 of 8 people (13%) people found this review helpful. Did you?