Epiphone Les Paul Special Electric Guitar
BACK IN STOCK

Epiphone Les Paul Special Electric Guitar

Sporting two soapbar P-90 pickups, the Epiphone Les Paul Special packs a punch. This guitar has a chunky, rounded neck carve fit for a rock star.

Overall:
5 out of 5 stars
4.5 out of 5 stars
Submitted November 16, 2020 by Chuck Anthony in New York, NY
"As good as it gets Old School style!"
Overall: 5 out of 5 stars
I purchased a new re-issue Gibson TV Yellow Special, some years ago for over 3x the price of this Epi Les Paul P90 Special, and it wasn’t at all, what it was cracked up to be! I sold her some time later and bought a used Hamer Special, which was spectacular guitar. Unfortunately, I sold it on impulse at the time, abd did regret it. This Epiphone TV Yellow Les Paul Special, exceeded all my expectations, and I find it hard to put this guitar down! The feel, the finish, the pick-ups and especially the fat beefy tone that responds to your own unique playing style, and cleans up nicely when you lower your volume control. Highly recommended, abd the price is right! Get one while you can!
Semi-pro
Blues, Brit influenced Rock, Jazz
45 of 45 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted March 27, 2021 by Isaiah H in St. Joseph, MO
""Oh, my Lord!!!""
Overall: 5 out of 5 stars
I'm absolutely in love with this instrument. From the moment I removed it from the box I knew I had something special I mean it was still in tune after 1200 miles on the road. The neck felt perfect I loved the weight and the strings rang out just like church bells. Then I plugged it into an early sixties Supro "Super" and had a religious experience the tone is to die for and this caused an explosive output of new material to flow effortlessly from my fingertips. I've owned several guitars with P-90's and I've always been kind of partial to them but none have ever pleased my ears as much as this beautifully crafted Les Paul. Everything about this guitar is just right for me I've found my new "Number One". This guitar will definitely go toe to toe with it's more exorbitantly priced Gibson counterpart.
Singer/Songwriter since 1993
Blues based playing style
6 of 6 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted December 31, 2021 by Robert M in Miami, FL
"Surprisingly awesome"
Overall: 5 out of 5 stars
I purchased this guitar from zZounds in Dec 2021. I am an avowed guitar snob, owning several Gibsons (including an ES330 with P90s), several Fenders, pre-Fender Guilds, etc. I got a hankering for a TV Yellow Les Paul and didn't feel like paying 1500K or more for what is essentially a painted slab of mahogany. I read the reviews on this Epi and pulled the trigger, figuring it would be a good guitar to mod with new pickups etc. I am so impressed with this guitar. It looks fantastic, sounds great, feels great, and is so much fun to play. This guitar can do jazz, AC/DC, and pretty much everything in between. I'm not even sure I'm going to mod it because I'm so satisfied with it. The quality for the price is out of this world. I pulled it out of the box, tuned it up, and to my amazement the intonation was perfect almost all the way up the neck, at least to 17th feet and who needs to play chords higher up than that? The P90s sound great. Are they as good as Gibson? Well, I can't tell the difference from my ES330 P90s. And the 330 was about 2K more expensive. I am so happy with this guitar and can't put it down. Highly recommended if you're into this color and vibe. A word about zZounds. I placed the order on a Sunday and they delivered it less than 48 hours later, by mid day Tuesday and shipping was free. Don't know how it's possible to get what is essentially less than 2 business day shipping for free. Kudos to everyone at zZounds. You are knocking it out of the park!
Collector, hobbyist
Anything with guitar that's softer than death metal
1 of 1 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted October 1, 2021 by Ed m in Keizer, OR
"Love this guitar!"
Overall: 5 out of 5 stars
Got my Epiphone Les Paul Special and can't put it down. Plays great, right out of the box. Ten years ago, I bought the Gibson version for $1500, I loved it but, due to unforeseen circumstances had to sell it. This guitar is every bit as good for a fraction of the price.
50 years as a professional.
Blues/rock
2 of 2 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted June 25, 2021 by a customer from gmail.com
"Best Guitar Purchase I've Made"
Overall: 5 out of 5 stars
I went 25 years of guitar playing with never owning a P90 equipped one. Decided for $400 this was worth a shot. It is my go to guitar now. If you'd told me even 6 months ago an Epiphone would be my number one I'd have said you were crazy. This guitar feels great, sounds great, and suits my style perfectly. You can cover a lot of ground with this guitar. The neck pickup is nice and clear and the bridge has great growl and bite. With them doing the 50's wiring you can dial in a lot of range on the bridge pickup without any loss of clarity. The setup was fine but they don't do a great job cleaning them up at the factory. Definitely change the strings and clean and oil the fretboard right away, my fingers were black for a couple days after just a few minutes playing it out of the box. But after that it's been 100% perfect.
1 of 1 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted May 20, 2021 by Billy
"Amazing - right out of the box"
Overall: 5 out of 5 stars
Written by one of our gear experts!
From top to bottom, I'm shocked how good this guitar is for the money. Out of the box, quick tune and just about perfect. P90s are legit, feel/ intonation setup right, weight is good. If you are hesitating, just don't. This is every bit as good as you think it is.
2 of 2 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted February 1, 2020 by Michael E in Duanesburg, NY
"Great proper Les Paul special at a killer price"
Overall: 4.5 out of 5 stars
My LP special arrived a few days after shipping, and was set up fairly well out of the box. Extremely comfortable neck with a perfect amount of chunk. P90s growl with authority. Very smooth fretwork especially at 399$. Epiphone stepped it up big time with these. I would've have no problem paying 500$ for this. It's worth it.
24 of 27 people (89%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted March 28, 2022 by a customer from gmail.com
"In love after all these years..."
Overall: 5 out of 5 stars
I've been playing 52yrs. Played everywhere from bars to Stadiums. I spent 16yrs with Gibson Guitars, where I became friends with Les Paul. I've always had an affinity for LP's...especially those with P90's (Jr's and Specials). Last year after reading all the great reviews, I ordered an Epiphone LP Special TV for $399. Within an hour of opening the box, I had clipped the strings off, did a light buff on the frets, conditioned the fretboard and loosened the truss slightly. She's every bit of a Gibson '56. (I owned a '56 TV Jr). I planned on installing Grovers, but stock tuners are rock solid. The P90's are every bit as good as Gibsons. I am going to put Bumblebee caps in it (I have a couple laying around). I truly love this axe...the best $399 I ever spent! (Aside from the $225 I spent on a Gibson 59 Jr at a Pawn Shop in Cedar Rapids Iowa ...but that was 1976 and another story.

Submitted December 1, 2021 by a customer from gmail.com
"Nice build good price"
Overall: 4.5 out of 5 stars
Guitar is built well. Pickups could be a little more versatile depending on the style you play.Bound neck is very nice and a pretty feature to the instrument.Personally why anyone would want a 50's neck on any guitar is beyond me. Slim taper would have really made this a fun guitar to play.
Overall great guitar. Good looking and bound neck is a nice touch.
I am not a 50's neck guy so the neck is clunky at best to me. The bound neck is a great touch for playing and looks. The P90's are fine if you are not a heavy gain player. But when you to drive the pickups they break up lousy through top high gain gear. This is a classic rock player or for some lower out put style playing.
Sound is subjective to the player. I recommend pickup replacement if you lean towards a lot of high gain playing.
Made great no issues at all
For the price range it is in the right place price wise for the build and playability.
I have not dealt with Epi.
I rate this as a 4 as it is less than perfect all around.

Submitted February 3, 2020 by Matthew Webster in Riverside, CA
"Wow just wow"
Overall: 5 out of 5 stars
Words can't Express how happy I am with this guitar purchase it hold it's own against its gibson counterpart the finish is wicked the neck is chunky and it plays like butter
22 years
Rock
16 of 19 people (84%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted July 21, 2020 by Darwin B in San Diego, CA
"Flawless. Worth the price."
Overall: 5 out of 5 stars
For a P90 Lep Paul Special, this one is not to be missed. Sounds great. Changed out the tuners with Hiptshot Closed Locking Tuners (nothing wrong with them, added some more tuning stability to an already great guitar), switched to EB Beefy Slinkies, and added Dunlop Straplok's. Will probably take the neck finish down (hand sticks when I'm playing, should not be an issue with others), but overall, there's nothing else I would change with this at all. Great workmanship at nearly HALF THE PRICE of it's Gibson equivalent. And zZounds was the ONLY ONLINE RETAILER THAT HAD THIS MODEL IN STOCK (Even over Epi's own website!)
14 of 17 people (82%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted July 3, 2020 by Jonathan Walker in Berlin, MD
"Unbelievably good"
Overall: 5 out of 5 stars
This is, bar none, the best guitar I have ever purchased at anywhere near this price. This guitar is the real deal. Light, resonate, great pickups, great fit and finish, amazing neck profile. I can't say enough good things about this guitar...don't hesitate...buy yourself one and watch how much you can't stop the grin from growing on your face everytime you play it.
I've been creating original music since the late 80's, been a professional recording and touring musician since 1996.
Rock n roll
14 of 17 people (82%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted June 3, 2021 by a customer from gmail.com
"Amazing - right out of the box"

Submitted May 12, 2021 by a customer from gmail.com in Atlanta, GA
"A Keeper, in spite of some quality issues"
Overall: 4 out of 5 stars
I have had this guitar for about a month now, and have played it regularly. I love the P90s, they sound fantastic, with lots of character. The tuners are so-so, on mine the G-string is coming down ever so slightly after bendings. There also are some issues with the fretwork, as previous reviewers have mentioned. And the color... I am no specialist for vintage guitar colors, but I expected the guitar to come in a kind of brigth yellow, but it is more between yellow/olive/very light brownish. Also, the color is very thick, there is no woodgrain.That being said, the guitar plays nicely overall. Great sustain. I also like the fat neck. It came set up OK out of the box, with some minor adjustments to reduce said fret buzz required. It records really well. I may have to replace the tuners in the future. For $399, all things considered, it is still a great value. This is a serious guitar with great playability and tone!
Rock, Blues, Folk
1 of 2 people (50%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted October 24, 2021 by a customer from gmail.com
"Good version of this style"
Overall: 4.5 out of 5 stars
BLUF: fun guitar to make noise with; good guitars have gotten much cheaper as of 2021, no need to spend more money unless you want something specific.Everything following is relative to the price of this guitar.I previously had a double cut away Epiphone LP special from the 90s that slipped away from me (i.e., I gave it to a friend). It was my first electric and I sort of disregarded it because of that. Recently, I reflected on how it was actually a pretty good electric guitar, so I endeavored to replace it with this current model.They are essentially completely different guitars, so the comparison is largely useless.The old model had great fingerboard wood, as most pre-2005-2010 guitars do.. rosewood was simply in more abundant supply back then. And the fit and finish of the guitar was a little better, specifically the fret finishing.Otherwise, this current model is, I feel, a much more useful guitar. The previous neck was tapered, whereas this is nice and full, which improves playability for me. The previous pickups were anemic, whereas these are more aggressive. I'm sure there are better P-90s in the world, but without a comparison available, I don't feel I'm missing anything.The overall feel of this model is more fun to play. I had to file down some fret edges, polish the frets, and sand the fret board smooth. Following that, I think it's great. I actually haven't even set it up yet, so the action is a little high and the intonation is off a bit; but, the hardware and construction are lined up straight, so I don't see any reason this will be a problem.It has the usual general stupidities of Les Pauls, such as the "rhythm / treble" marker on the pickup switch. Those terms are not opposites, or descriptive of what they do. This has always annoyed me. Just call it "neck / bridge" if you feel the need to put needless words on a guitar. Or, better yet, don't put words on it at all. It's well into the 21st century; we all know the paradigm by now. Additionally, I don't understand why the pick guard (unnecessary to begin with) needs to have 4 screws, all pushed to the edge. It's bad enough you can't removed it without seeing ugly holes; you can't even reshape it. But those are minor personal issues that don't really amount to much.All in all, a fun electric, with potential to fulfill all the essentials for live and studio work.
of 1 people (0%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted April 22, 2021 by a customer from rocketmail.com
"Great guitar....Color Mmmmmm."
Overall: 4 out of 5 stars
Have been waiting for this to get back in stock for months...Unboxed today and Wow the guitars fit and finish is flawless, plays great with verylittle setup work. Love the sound of the p90's..... Now the color, Out in the sunlight the color is a lighter side of dark mustard, Inside under normal lights the color is as my wife called it breast fed baby pooo. I love the guitar just not going to stare at in wonder...IM thinking color blind paint finisher in China....It's a player not a looker....
2 of 4 people (50%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted April 21, 2021 by a customer from gmail.com
"IT'S NOT YELLOW!!"
Overall: 5 out of 5 stars
So I've been watching lots of clips on Youtube about this guitar and I finally decided I had to have one. I loved the nice clean yellow color, like a ray of sunshine. Loved the tone on both neck and bridge pickups. Loved everything about this guitar so I ordered one. When I took it out of the box I was shocked at how brown it really is. Don't expect it to be the same yellow color as in pictures you've seen, it's not. It's more the color of brown mustard, or if you mix brown, olive drab, and just a touch of yellow you'll get the actual color. I decided to return this guitar simply based on the misrepresentation of the color. I took a picture of the guitar so I could post what the real color was. When I looked at the picture I was surprised to see that lovely sunshine yellow come back! That must be what TV Yellow is, I guess. It's kinda dull in real life but comes to life on film. Whatever, it plays and sounds amazing, I'm keeping it! The intonation right out of the box was spot on. The action at the bridge as a little high, but the action at the nut was perfect, which was a pleasant surprise. The neck feels killer! Tuners are pretty good too, no need to change those. The frets could use a micro sanding and polish, but this is one sweet axe! Can't stop playing! Just gotta get past the brown mustard color.
3 of 6 people (50%) people found this review helpful. Did you?