Epiphone Les Paul Custom Electric Guitar

Epiphone Les Paul Custom Electric Guitar

Feel like a rock star with an Epiphone Les Paul Custom! Fitted with multi-ply binding, a custom headstock, and big block inlays, this axe is a show-stopper.

Overall:
Overall:
Submitted February 23, 2020 by Ken O in Austin, TX
"A Flawless Studio Grade Les Paul Custom From Epiphone"
This review has been selected by our experts as particularly helpful.
This review is a zero-hype,true blue analysis done in a recording studio by professional musicians. TRUST THESE WORDS.A year ago we purchased a basic faded red 2018 Gibson Les Paul w/490T pickups from zZounds that convinced us into being true believers regarding Gibson quality;no QC issues other than a dry fretboard. So when we evaluated our new Ebony Epiphone Les Paul Custom, we did it side by side with a USA Gibson,recorded in a studio setting with MANY different amps,cabs,effects....dry/wet etc.. It was all about the SOUND and PLAYABILITY, not the looks of the guitars. The test results for the Epi surpassed our expectations by a long shot,and I can personally say I have NEVER had so much fun doing an A/B test between two guitars. The only difference is in the pickups,with the Gibson 490's usually having a slight edge,but even that became subjective due to personal taste and what was needed for a particular song.Now to evaluating the unboxing and initial test run. Our Ebony Les Paul Custom arrived in flawless condition, as in the actual definition. Not a single mar or flaw in the paint anywhere,top to bottom. A single thumbprint from a sweaty hand will show up from a mile away though. Same with the binding,neck and headstock inlays. Grover tuners were mounted in exact alignment. The gold plating matches everywhere, it looks so good! The frets dressing's are as good as the Gibson,not a single sharp edge. The CTS pots and the wiring job are stellar,with no shortcuts or cheap components. We may try a few different tone caps but we are very hesitant to mess with near perfection;same regarding the stock pickups. Bottom line, we purchased a 5 star guitar at a 3.5 star price. One of the finest guitars we have ever played for under $1,500. Big thanks to zZounds and Epiphone for gettting it right.
Studio Owner,Pro musician since 1981
all styles
130 of 132 people (98%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted March 9, 2021 by a customer from gmail.com
"Best value Les Paul guitar...ever!"
I've played and owned numerous Epiphone guitars over the years. Started looking for a Les Paul Custom style guitar, but wasn't ready to drop 3k+ on a Gibson. So I tried one of these out in a store and was very impressed, and brought it home with me. I've had this Epiphone Les Paul Custom in ebony for over 6 months now, & still haven't even gotten a proper setup for it yet, but this thing is great!Really, over 6 months of playing without a proper setup and I've only found a couple of minor flaws. The first flaw is with one of the volume pots: it crackles and sometimes cuts out when I don't want it to. So this tells me that the pots and wiring could deserve an upgrade. That being said, the pickups in this guitar sound fantastic and I see no reason to change them. The pickup switch feels solid.The other flaw is that there is some tuning slippage with the G string. I know this is a common thing with many guitars, and the slippage isn't drastic, but maybe a little annoying because I need to retune the G string every 5-10 minutes of playing. So this makes me wonder if perhaps the nut could be worked on, or perhaps eventually a tuner replacement could be in order. I will have to see after a proper setup if that is the case, but otherwise nothing else tells me that the tuners are bad. The tuning keys feel very solid and smooth, they feel and appear to be nice quality and the other 5 strings stay in tune very well, so that's that.Like I said those are the only flaws I could find with this guitar, everything else is pretty much perfect and sound-wise this guitar can probably get really really close to an actual Gibson. Totally worth the money and Epiphone really seem to be stepping up their game with their newer guitars.

Submitted March 3, 2021 by Ruby B in WINNETKA, CA
"Epiphone Les Paul Custom Electric Guitar"
I bought guitar in a Left handed model in Black with gold Hardware. I love the Guitar and the fact did Epiphone mad it in a Lefty. The is amazing. THe only issue which is the same I have with my Gibson LP Standard it's too heavy I have to sit to plat it. For the under $700.00 compared to my Gibson LP STD $2,699 that sound is about the same. The Epiphone is well worth owning for under $700.00.
Se;f taught
Rock / Blues

Submitted February 19, 2021 by a customer from gmail.com
"Perfection les paul custom epiphone guitar."
I have one i got used in Oshkosh wisconsin in late may. It played really well. The beautiful white is stunning. Its also heavy as well. Just a super guitar. I also have two randy rhoads rr1. Guitars that go for 3,000 a piece. The price is unbelievable, you can't go wrong on this guitar. If u ay rock, metal, jazz, its all good. I have no complaints on this guitar. I baught it used and it plays like a real gem. God bless, stay safe.... . ;) St. John 9:5
2 of 2 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted April 1, 2021 by Tommy Allbright in Macclenny, FL
"My Epiphone Les Paul"
I new at guitar and had several of the less expensive styles of the top guitars. One of them was an Ibanez RG well compared to the Squire Stray and. Really less expensive named Spectrum that Ibanez and a couple more the Ibanez was so much easier to fret and really sounded good through the peavy amp. I keep looking at the Les Paul's I heard so much and ran across an Epiphone Les Paul Custom special on an on line yard sale. The prettiest and badass combination I could imagine that the guy changed the pickups to the Seymore Duncan Slash pickups and I ordered the gold trim prices to put around them and I switched the black knobs on the tuners that he also replaced with locking ones with the gold knobs from the original tuners all of this before I even messed with it and even for an intermediate player I was floored. Man does this thing fret and sustain and bend and the hammer ins and pull offs was so much easier I mean a lot so the long story if your learning get one of these guitars and you will cut your time to play a song after you learn it in half it is that much easier to play than the 100 dollar special they call for learners. Unbelievable difference and everybody that sees it says what a good looking guitar I got the natural wood one that is as shinny as it is easier to learn on
Learning
RockBluesSome country

Submitted March 6, 2021 by a customer from gmail.com
"Episode Led Paul Custom - Ebony"
I've been playing since five years of age ( I'm a big Fender & Peavey guy ) Only way to say it - AWESOME GUITAR - I had always thought of adding a LP to my collection ( Chester & Lester were my biggest influence growing up ) I always thought it would be a Gibson for me - I was so impressed by Epiphone I went and bought a ES- 335 style ( Riviera ) also my first blues/jazz style axe ( 4 BB K ) if you only have a grand to spend - you will never find a better instrument - God bless all you musicians and God bless the music.

Submitted July 22, 2020 by Brad Walsh in Middlesex, NJ
"The Epiphone Les Paul Custom just went to a NEW LEVEL"
This review has been selected by our experts as particularly helpful.
Received this guitar yesterday and OH MY GOD. I have had numerous versions of the Epiphone Les Paul Custom, but the 2020 takes the cake and puts them all to shame. The CTS pots, pickups, improved hardware, and EBONY fretboard really make this guitar a pleasure to play. It also has a lot more weight and thickness to it more like a Gibson Les Paul. Out of the box I was able to play this guitar with ease. The setup is decent, but as we all know, you have to set your guitar up to your specifications so you really can't let factory set up effect your opinion. I mean, it comes all the way from China lol the setup might just change a bit in transport. Still not a bad setup out of the box. Once I set it up and put my 10-52 Dunlop's on there, BANG! As I do with all my guitars, I will switch out the electronics for EMG's, but if you didn't, you will still be happy with the thick chunky sound this guitar produces. I'm also happy that the neck is more rounded. I like more of a rounded and semi beefy neck profile on my Paul's and this one has it. I have numerous top notch Gibson Les Paul's and I'll tell ya, this Epiphone 2020 LP Custom rides right with them. She's a keeper alright. For me, this was a great purchase.
The guitar sounds stellar. The pickups are hard hitting yet clear and the notes are definitely defined. I'm a rock/metal guy and it suits all my shenanigans.
The components are top notch and it stays in tune like a champ. Like all Les Paul's you have to have a properly filed and lubed nut, but once you get that going it stays in tune rock solid.
It's super easy to get a great sound with this guitar. I plugged right into my EVH 5150 III 50w and BOOM. Monster sound.
Just got it yesterday, but I've been playing for a long long time and I can tell this guitar will last and hold up for years to come.
This guitar is worth more than it's selling price. I don't care what people say about Epiphone. If you think Epiphone is terrible you're just being a snob. Sure, 25-30 years ago they weren't fantastic and had struggles, but they've come a long way. Overseas guitars are getting tough to beat nowadays.
I have dealt with Epiphone in the past and it's always been easy.
I have a lot of guitars for sure. Numerous Les Paul's Gibson and Epiphone, Flying V's, Wolfgangs, Ibanez...ect....I have problems lol. Even tho I don't need to have this guitar, I am happy to have it.
Professional Musician
Rock/Metal/Blues
19 of 22 people (86%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted December 27, 2020 by Joe H in Locust Grove, OK
"Great guitar"
Waited my whole life for one of these and of course don’t have an extra 6 grand to dump so I finally pulled the trigger and bought one, sooooo glad I did, such a great guitar, great quality, the only thing I have that compares is my PRS single cut
40 plus years playing drums and tinkering with a guitar here and there
Classic rock, hair metal, British metal and progressive
6 of 7 people (86%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted August 24, 2020 by John R in Frankfort, IL
"Epiphone Awesomness"
First and foremost I absolutely love this guitar. I'm a collector and own many high end Gibsons, Fenders, Deans, Taylors ect. and this is my second Epiphone. 2 years ago I took a chance on the Epiphone Johnny A Custom and was BLOWN AWAY so I took a chance again. I will put this axe up against any axe out there, It's looks, it's quality, it's sound and playability. it excelled at all levels. Showed up in 2 days well boxed and in near perfect playing condition. A little fret polishing change of strings and it was ready to go. I'm looking at the SG's now. BUY THIS GUITAR .
Professional Guitarist of 48 years writer, instructor, performer.
Hard Rock, Metal, Country, Modern Country.
8 of 10 people (80%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted March 2, 2020 by E Ore
"A Real Guitar @ Decent Price"
2-Day delivery and my Ebony Les Paul Custom arrived in perfect condition. Quality Control apparently on their A Game as every component or feature is excellence defined. Everything is right. Played it a week with Marshall amp,a USA Gibson Les Paul and Fender Stratocaster, used same pedal board settings for all 3 guitars. I fell in love with a Chinese neck sure was a total surprise. And this axe is not too heavy, I know because the first guitar I played in bands with was the Gibson version and it became torture playing 4-6 hours a night. Heavy like cement, it had tone for days but this Epiphone is lighter and has tone for days too. And the binding,inlays,finish are 99.8% perfect. Frets feel better than Gibson but don't seem same quality metal. The pickups are above average for imports and normally they would stay put but this guitar is so fine it deserves the upgrade to USA pups. Again, the neck it's amazing to play. I keep feeling stunned every time I look at the finish, and the performance,as a player's instrument, is equal to USA quality of several Gibson Les Pauls I have owned over the decades,and leaves no doubts to what is in your hands when playing through professional gear. So much fun to play. I say it's a bit overpriced and then I go over it top to bottom looking for a flaw and can't find one and change my mind. First time I've ever felt smart and smug over a guitar purchase but hey I did myself good this time.
12 of 15 people (80%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted February 25, 2020 by Rodney P in Kempner, TX
"The Kind Of Guitar You WISH You Could Purchase New For Under A $ Grand"
A worth every penny-type of axe, at oh-so-close to Gibson USA quality. It plays lke a USA,looks like a Chinese. It's the same glossy black used on our Epi 2015 Flying V...it's a color black that looks cheap, yet the V was immaculate finish-wise, as is our new Custom. Necks feels like that 2015 V,too. That other review was right on, as you can walk into a pro studio and use it right out of the box. Compared to lower price plain Jane Gibson Les Paul, this beautiful mahogany body will destroy it if some dirty fingered goldplated humbuckers are added. Frets,intonation,mar-less paint job, real pickups and wiring USA style,just so many things exactly right. The finish perfection is amazing,just what you want. PLEK it and upgrade to Billy Gibbons Growl-style pups,you now have one hella unique Ebony Custom that fits into a lot sonic space. Great guitar stock!
live gigs for decades
loud les paul's and stratocaster's
18 of 23 people (78%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted November 3, 2020 by ronnie s in Winchester, VA
"Narrowing the gap"
Ive owned Gibson Les Pauls in the past just because of the Gibson name. Most recently owed a Les Paul Traditional and comparing this Epi Custom to that i don't see any reason to spend the 1000 dollars more for the Gibson. From the pickups to the cts pots and fretboard everything is top notch. From the binding to the paint can't find any flaws. Put on new strings and lowered the action to my liking and ready to go. If Epi keeps putting out guitars like this no need to spend the big bucks unless you want the Gibson name and there's nothing wrong with that.
Jam with friends not a pro
Classic rock,metal
6 of 8 people (75%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted March 25, 2020 by a customer from gmail.com
"Spectacular Axe From Epiphone"
Just not enough words for the new Custom Les Paul's. Very similar,in my memory,to a black ESP Ltd 1000 (?) with gold hardware that an artist used in the studio that I really loved;I hated to see it go. The Epiphone is a real keeper of a guitar,beautiful out of the box but I added a bone nut and Gibson pickups,strung with 9-42's. 100% satisfied with my new Epiphone and the upgraded headstock is a plus, vanity or not but it just looks good.
16 of 21 people (76%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted August 26, 2020 by a customer from yahoo.com
"OUTSTANDING LES PAUL ..."
I've owned this guitar for 6 months now.....and all I can say is I really have a real connection with this beautiful Instrument.It plays amazing...Looks Killer...and sounds Like Thunder and Lighting.I play it every night....ITS A BEAST.!!!!!!!!!
5 of 7 people (71%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted November 4, 2020 by a customer from aim.com
"LOVE ZZOUNDS"
I'm getting my presents early. SWEATWATER who? Ever since I've started doing business with zZounds they go above expectations. WE LOVE YOU zZOUNDS!!!!!!
2 of 3 people (67%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted September 8, 2020 by Ken N in Galveston, TX
"Fantastic guitar"
I think Epiphone has really upped their game with the new "Inspired by Gibson" line. This is a sweet guitar, no doubt about it.
Playing since 1967
varied.
6 of 9 people (67%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted September 12, 2020 by Lee B in Blacksburg, SC
"A scrappy little cousin for sure!"
I hardly ever get to say this, but I was blown away with this one straight out of the box! I have three gibson Paul's, and have had to multiple setups in order to keep them in tune but I haven't had to touch this beast yet. Before you can even talk about playability, you have to take in the asthetics alone. The cream binding , real ebony fretboard,and gold hardware make you wanna wear a suit while you play this thing. Ive ran it through the same pedals and amps as my gibsons, and I barely have to tweak things to get similar sound quality. The neck is really comfortable( supposed to be c shaped but has a flat d feel). The bottom line is, that I think this is the best guitar I've ever purchased that cost under a grand!
15 years/ guitar, bass, drums, piano/ studio musician
Anything and everything....But I prefer good songwriting over extravagant riffage...
5 of 8 people (63%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted January 31, 2020 by Christopher McBurney in Palmdale, CA
"Not the Same Guitar"
Beware! I owned this model 3 or 4 years ago, first class in every aspect. Just bought it again from zZounds, this model guitar has been cheapened up (as everything else in society). Guitar sounds thin, very light now, cheap plastic jack plate (awful), it just plays and feels like a $200 Chibson. Just dumped it at a loss. If you want a quality instrument, buy vintage.
13 of 68 people (19%) people found this review helpful. Did you?