Epiphone SG Special VE Electric Guitar

Epiphone SG Special VE Electric Guitar

Chock-full of incredible tone and fantastic value, this SG Special VE is ready to be yours. A pair of open-coil humbuckers provide smooth, high-output tone.

Overall:
3.5 out of 5 stars
3.5 out of 5 stars
3 out of 5 stars
Overall: 3.5 out of 5 stars
Submitted August 8, 2021 by Andrew F in New Castle, IN
"It's ok."
Overall: 4 out of 5 stars
I'm a new guitar player, just learning. Mine was decent out of the box, good action. I believe mine was returned and resold, so maybe that accounts for the better set up. The black satin is gorgeous, and the sounds out of the guitar are exactly what I was looking for. Having said that, the toggle switch is shorting out already, after just a couple of months. Overall, I think I'd step up the the better SG, but I'm definitely a SG fan. It's ok for me for learning, but I'll definitely upgrade later.
Beginner
Praise and worship, traditional hymns
2 of 2 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted May 12, 2021 by a customer from gmail.com
"Love!"
Overall: 5 out of 5 stars
I took this straight to a set up due to the reviews but it wasn't needed. Playable right out of the box! It sounds great and the all black is serious. It's also very light and comfortable to play. A very satisfied customer indeed.
2 of 2 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted August 29, 2021 by a customer from yahoo.com
"Not too bad at all!"
Overall: 4 out of 5 stars
I'm fortunate enough to own quite a few nice and much more expensive guitars, but I bought this because I wanted something I could thrash on stage a little bit and not worry about it getting dinged up. I'm debating that choice now because this thing is actually pretty nice for what it is. The setup was close to perfect, just a few minor adjustments I had to make because I use 12-52 strings. Didn't even need to touch the truss rod. Neck was perfectly straight. Pickups sound OK, and would probably have worked just fine for its intended purpose, but I did upgrade it with some Seymour Duncan pups. I also upgraded to Grover Deluxe tuners because I have experience with the less expensive Epiphone tuners not being the best, and this still seems to be the case. The original tuners would lose tune after just a minute of playing. Probably the only negative with this guitar. Overall, being a stage guitar that I can wail on for the last song of my set, I'd give it a 4 out of 5, mainly because it required a tuner swap to stay in tune. Everything else is great or better than you'd expect from a guitar in this price range.
10 of 11 people (91%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted February 27, 2020 by Keith B in Manchester, NH
"Razor Sharp Fret Wires! No Joke"
Overall: 2 out of 5 stars
Well I should’ve listened to the other person who said the fret wires were not filed correctly. My neck was actually bent backwards. Needed Major truss rod adjustment. I get that these are cheap guitars but DAMN the quality control on these things is horrendous. Some people got great ones, and unfortunately I got a complete P.O.S. Now I am debating is it worth the headache of the return process or do I just eat it and chalk it up to lesson learned. Not saying you shouldn’t buy one at all, just beware because you are rolling the dice with your money on this one. You may be lucky like most and get a great one.
Experienced hobbyist many years
Rock, Metal, and all kinds of other stuff.
20 of 24 people (83%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted April 30, 2020 by Jimbo F in Seffner, FL
"Cheap Price DOES in this case equal Poor Quality"
Overall: 0.5 out of 5 stars
Arrived with neck so badly bent backwards it was NOT even close to playable. Fret buzz was the most severe case I have ever seen in over 40 years of being around guitars of all brands , types, etc..... As stated before Fret Wires were not filed, just cut off and left razor sharp.Took a ton of attention to get it even somewhat playable and I mean filing and dressing EVERY Fret Wire.This was no ordinary fret sprout from temp/ humidity fluctuation. This was obviously a complete falsehood to put a QC inspected sticker on this and ship it. Neck had to have such a truss rod adjustment I was sure it was going to break while trying to get it straight enough to play. yes it is dirt cheap.......and there's good reason for that, it"s JUNK. For a mere $50 or so more you can do SO much better. This thing is not even close to an SG. Might be shaped like one but that is about it
Musician for 40 plus years
Not Rap or Country
16 of 17 people (94%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted January 31, 2018 by Daniel M in Irwin, PA
"First SG great value"
Overall: 4 out of 5 stars
This was my first SG purchase, played a Gibson Standard years ago and fell in love with the action and shaping of it. This cheaper Epiphone version is a great value for your beginner players and with some mods can be a Great guitar.
Bass player in Local Punk bands for 10 years , always loved guitar and now promary instrument
Classic metal, Blues, Americana...really anything that catches my ear
24 of 44 people (55%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted June 7, 2019 by don stutts in weed, NM
"this is a PLAYER !!!"
Overall: 4.5 out of 5 stars
i played sg's in the late 80's and decided to get another one. didn't want to mortgage the house for a gibson and haven't been too happy with gibson quality the last decade or so. read a bunch of reviews of this guitar and said, what the heck. after i got it i adjusted the action and set intonantion. i was amazed at the tones that this guitar produces. i have all duncans in my other guitars. i'm not touching this one. it sounds that good, clean , crunch or lead tones. it plays very well and sounds fine.
55 years-rock-progressive rock
80's hair bands, satriani / vai covers
15 of 30 people (50%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted June 3, 2020 by tony green in Memphis, TN
"fun guitar"
Overall: 5 out of 5 stars
read the reviews some good and some bad. i had this model years ago and was sorry i sold it. lite as a feather and rock solid. a little stif on the action out of thr box .]ut a set of EB SUPER SLINKYS ON IT AND WAMMO THE PERFECT FUN GUITAR. i have owned all major brands and this guitar holds up to any of them.. will never sell it again. thanks zZ
80 years old/started at 16//// blues and country
5 of 11 people (45%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted January 31, 2020 by a customer from outlook.com
"Epiphone SG Special VE"
Overall: 2.5 out of 5 stars
After I opened the box and got the guitar out the neck was crooked and strings not aligned with the neck, fret buzz and unplayable. Didn't want to send it back because I really wanted to play so I unscrewed the neck and was able to tighten it down and the strings were aligned. Then I did a adjustment on everything and put new strings on it and it now it plays really well. If you can get passed the horrible setup and crooked neck then its an excellent cheap guitar to play on.
6 of 18 people (33%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted January 20, 2020 by BARRY H in Mayer, AZ
"Old beginner"
Overall: 5 out of 5 stars
I recieved it a day early .tuned it checked everything it was great set up is right on .sounds fantastic with my 65watt Pyle amp more than happy with my purchase well worth the money .I have already told some friends and one is buying one.thnx zZounds great job .
Still a beginner well played many years ago started playing again .like learning over but it's coming back.
Rock & roll old and new .blues .
3 of 17 people (18%) people found this review helpful. Did you?