Epiphone Dobro Hound Dog Deluxe Roundneck Resonator Guitar

Epiphone Dobro Hound Dog Deluxe Roundneck Resonator Guitar

This Dobro's figured maple body and classic single-cone resonator create clean, warm tone. And with its Fishman pickup, this Hound Dog can really bark.

Overall:
Overall:
Submitted August 14, 2015 by Dan P in Cottleville, MO
"Fantastic Sound.."
Picked up Guitar, tuned to Open "G" and didn't put down for hours.. Was easy to play, even with my limited play of resonator and slide I sounded pretty good. Picked up slides and runs very easy. Finish was perfect, I only wish it came with a case. Seems the case is harder to find than the guitar. Can't go wrong with this Resonator. A pleasure to play..
Serious Hobby
Blues, Classic Rock
8 of 8 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted June 17, 2012 by Steve D in Tustin, CA
"Hound Dog Deluxe Dobro"
I'm sure everyone is worried about ordering online, BUT let me put your worries to rest. zZounds shipped this Dobro, it was packed very well and arrived in perfect condition. The action is a tad bit low although not an issue for slide. In open tunings this lil dobro will raise the hair on your neck! I could not be more happy about purchasing this model, and the Pay as you Play plan fits my finances perfect. Just want to thank all you at zZounds for making this a very enjoyable experience.
The sound is exactly what I was after. It can be as loud as you want or as swampy as you can slide. Get this out in the open and just sit down and start playing, you will have a crowd forming asking where did you get that, it sounds awesome, what kind of guitar is that?
No down side issues
Built solid as a brick house. This baby will last forever!
N/A
20yrs, played in local bands growing up, now just enjoy playing whenever and wherever.
Blues, Southern Rock, Ragtime, a little country
4 of 4 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted November 29, 2013 by Stuntman Mike in Olympia, WA
"MIkey Likes It"
This is my first dobro and I haven't played any others. It is loud and proud when you lay into it and it has nice subtle qualities when you get your Piedmont on... The electronics is why I got it. Plus it was affordable. The tone is very cool with that almost banjo like sound at times. The neck is easy to run too! (I haven't tried any slide on it yet) I really don't have anything negative to say about this guitar. As many do, this guitar comes with strings that don't do the instrument justice. Swap 'em out and it's a big improvement in playability. Cheers!
35 years worth of blood, sweat and tears.
Rock, Punk, Blues, Alternative
13 of 14 people (93%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted June 4, 2020 by Lowell H
"Exactly what I was looking for"
I wanted a Gretsch, as I prefer darker-colored guitars, but didn't want to wait, so ordered the 'dog.... It turned out very well for me! Nice growl down low.. strikingly rich metallic highs on the upper frets. Action is not too high, nor
Nice growl down low.. strikingly rich metallic highs on the upper frets. Action is not too high, nor too low for slide playing. I restrung her with mediums, but like a heavier high e string (just a personal preference), so replaced it with a second B string. I keep it tuned to Open D or G
Tuners are just right
Very playable, smooth frets, nice action
SeemS solid in every way
500 bucks and worth every penny
No need to contact
Looks classic on the wall...Everyone who comes in has to play it, sometimes for hours
Guitar player, acoustic only
Piedmont and Delta blues, hipster folk
1 of 1 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted October 25, 2011 by a customer from LIVE.COM
"THIS DOBRO PURR'S LIKE A KITTEN AND IS BUILT LIKE A BRICK HOUSE."
I EXPECT TO KEEP THIS TO PASS ON TO MY GRANDSON.
THIS IS A GREAT SOUNDING LOOKING DOBRO RESONATOR WORTH EVERY CENT YOU PAY FOR IT,
ALL WAS GREAT
VERY EASY TO PLAY
VERY WELL MADE AND GREAT LOOKING
WORTH EVERY CENT YOU PAY FOR IT YOU WILL LOVE THIS DOBRO RESONATOR
NO PROBLEMS WITH IT
ITS BUILT LIKE A BRICK OUTHOUSE , BEAUTIFUL DOBRO
HOBBYIST
COUNTRY AND GOSPEL
47 of 52 people (90%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted May 21, 2012 by Joe Chaplain in Sonoma, CA
"Ain't nothin' like the real thang"
A great guitar for the price. Give it a couple of weeks to break in, but that tone is totally there. I've grown to like the finish a lot - it's very warm with the matte varnish. Sounds great acoustically. The resonator pickup is a little squealy-wimpy. You'll want a direct box or, as recommended, an appropriate resonator preamp. Try the Fishman Aura 16 if you can afford it - you won't be sorry. You can load-in 16 image presets for resonator guitars, and some of them are bitchin'. I love playing this instrument now, the neck is great, the rosewood fingerboard is really solid, great fat frets, gives back what you put into it. This is a very expressive and responsive instrument for fingerstyle - huge tone range from bridge to neck, chime to swampy to almost jazzy. Sweet.
Been performing live since 1968. Play guitar mostly, singer-songwriter, play mandolin now, percussion, wind.
Check it out at http://www.joechaplain.com - folk, rock, country, blues, Western, Country, all USA music styles.
2 of 2 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted March 15, 2017 by Russell Moncrief in Cleveland, TN
"hounddog dobro"
great guitar for the cost...outstanding resonance and tone...have not covered all possibilities w/guitar yet...anticipation is that it is exactly what I've been looking for, great feel weight wise & neck has great action...R. Moncrief
guitar & bass for approximately 45 years
rock. southern rock, blues & contemporary christian music
3 of 3 people (100%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted June 29, 2014 by mark w in columbus, IN
"Resonator"
Looks and plays great and the shipping was very fast and I like the payment plan
been playing off and on for around 5 yrs
older rock and blues
2 of 4 people (50%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted August 31, 2012 by Jeff griffith in Columbus, OH
"Dobro Hound Dog Deluxe"
Great guitar for the price.
38 exp. 25 yrs. road work
Jazz
7 of 12 people (58%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted July 30, 2014 by Mark D in Harmony, WI
"Epi HoundDog With Pickup"
It arrived in one piece. has flaws. bridge is horrid on the high side. pre-scratched for my convenience. lil rectangles under the laminate/ fake wood-look. tail piece was almost coming off. Kind of uncool if you want future business of mine. YES, I had the 45 day return. I'll fix it up but not pleased.
53 yrs old. Played since 8. Mostly stringed instruments.
All accept Hip Slop, or Crap. :) No Back-Door-Boys, or N'Suck either.
5 of 10 people (50%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted May 12, 2017 by wren h
"This is one poor hound"
Dobro Hound Dog : This is one poor hound. Garbage. The pick-up is worthless. The fret wires are sharp. The action is so low; why is it even called a Dobro? It is an insult to the Dopyera Brothers. I don’t believe I can say anything good about it; it is That bad. Dobro? What does it mean? The one I have has a set-up too low to play bottleneck style. This will have to be a list of cons. Rough fret wires. The pick-up and electronics mystified all, until the return period had expired. I had no cord, patch cords or any jack at all that fit the input. After finding one, a “stereo” cord that fit, it was all hum and buzz. More waste. I needed to do something. I would like an acoustic guitar but the neck is so rough. Another complaint is the finish of the wood, which is rough. The cover plate was easily scratched and I don’t use picks. Basically, I have not gotten much use out of it. I will make this bad dog behave, I have a nut extender. . . So it is now in Open G and I play it w/ a tone bar for my lap steel. I’ ll need an ironing board to housebreak this dog. I think I’ll need a thumb pick.
3 of 7 people (43%) people found this review helpful. Did you?

Submitted October 2, 2016 by melissa r in San Francisco, CA
"This dog won't bark."
I bought the Deluxe model. The plug worked w/ no cords I had. I tried a stereo cable and it fit but it is plagued w/ horrid hum. The set up is no where near a Dobro set up. The fret wires are in need of filing. The finish is rough to the touch. I gave up on playing it amplified and have used a nut extender so I don't bottom out using a finger slide. I have had to swap out the strings. I think it is a hunk of junk. My worst purchase. I have pre-war Nationals, a custom Model T from Rick Turner and a lap Vorson lap steel, to name a few. This is a Hunk- O- Junk. This dog is not even housebroken. You will not be pleased, not by my standards. !@#$ and I am still making payments. !@#$, I doubt it floats. Cheese
40 years. I write music and I am not a strummer
Pre-war bottle neck blues; three chords and the truth. American Primitive.
3 of 11 people (27%) people found this review helpful. Did you?