map marker icon Shipping to
When you call, mention priority code 20K-S97J

Rating and Reviews: Alvarez MFA66SHB Guitar

Made with hand-selected solid African mahogany and a real bone nut and saddle, the Alvarez Masterworks MFA66SHB delivers booming, dynamic response.

"Excellent guitar" submitted February 17, 2017

By Thomas N. in Warner Robins, GA
Overall
Musical Background: Acoustic and some electric guitar. Have a little keyboard exprience also.
Music Style: Rock, country, Christian.
Overall: I bought an Alvarez parlor guitar that had a solid mahogany face. The sustain was crazy (could run my pick across all six strings and the sound went on indefinitely). Was so impressed that I wanted to delve into the masterworks series and so got this guitar. I have to say, I enjoy playing my rosewood guitars, but that is a whole different (and wonderful) experience. This guitar is very articulate in the mid range, but without a significant loss of highs or lows. I am a dreadnaught guy, but thought I would try something a bit smaller to play standing up with a shoulder strap. This guitar fits the bill nicely. BTW, loved the deal with the free ukulele. It is much more impressive in person and almost seems like a min-parlor guitar with nylon strings. My wife has small hands and cannot finger a traditional fretboard. I am going to give her the ukulele for her birthday.

"Beautiful Guitar & Case" submitted June 29, 2019

By Rich R. in Williamsburg, KY
Musical Background: Been playing 25yrs. Just play in jam settings
Music Style: Country, Blues, Bluegrass, Folk, Gospel, Rock
Overall: This guitar is fantastic! Sounds great fingerstyle and strums well also. Very comfortable to play. Small body with a big sound. Construction and finish are Amazing! The case is stylish leather and tweed with a pewter Alvarez name plate. Case locks and is really nice. My experience with zZounds was great also. My items arrived in Two days as promised. Love the no hassle 6 month payment plan too. Do yourself a favor and get one of these. After months of videos and reading review, I knew right out of the box I made the right decision. Thanks zZounds!

"Terrific Guitar" submitted April 2, 2015

By Michael C. in Wrentham, MA
Overall
Musical Background: Been playing over 30 years. Prviously owned a Martin for 15 years.
Music Style: Rock, blues, folk
Overall: I ordered this from zZounds without having seen one in person. I had played Martins and Taylors at my local music store but didn't want to spend that kind of money. I ordered the guitar on a Monday and received it the very next morning, even with free shipping. The guitar came with a very nice hardshell case and a stick-on black pickguard. I installed the pickguard but preferred the look without it so I removed it and traced the shape onto a piece of clear plastic I had (the type that goes on cars) and installed that. Can barely see it and it provides the same protection. The action was just right and the intonation perfect. I really like the size and shape of the neck. I've got fairly large hands and there's enough meat to it but I don't think it would be an issue for someone with smaller hands. The sound is great with good note clarity and it's not too boomy sounding. My only criticism is the finish on the body which is very glossy in person and shows fingerprints very quickly. I'd prefer a more matte finish. Interestingly the neck finish is more matte and feels great. Overall I would say this guitar easily competes with the low-mid level Martins and Taylors at a fraction of the price. The only caveat being it's made in China. If I could afford it, I'd have bought an American guitar as I would prefer to support our economy.

"A Great Guitar" submitted February 28, 2020

By Peter P. in Joytown, CA
Musical Background: Guitar
Music Style: Country, Mountain, and Bluegrass.
Overall: With the new bracing system, this guitar sounds wonderful. Every note is a pleasure and every chord is a melting pot of buttery combinations! Every component selected in the making of this guitar couldn't have been chosen any better. I am very happy with the feeling of the ash wood bridge and neck. I also enjoy having acacia wood wrapped around the guitar! The neck, seemingly hand-carved, feels wonderful too! The abalone reflections make this guitar look like a collectible. The quality is excellent! The bridge was glued properly all the way out to the edges, and there are no gaps in the neck heel area, The included case is very nice, and the guitar feels like I can sling it around for several decades. St.Louis customer service was very informative. At this price choosing between solid tonewoods or martin's laminate tubby sounding guitars, the choice becomes obvious. This guitar has that haunting characteristic to it. The pictures don't capture the abalone reflection or woods chatoyancy.

"Great All Mahogany guitar" submitted January 14, 2016

By JB S. in Apollo, PA
Overall
Musical Background: Hobbist. Fingerpicking mostly Fahey style since the mid 70s. Took up ukulele a few years ago, along with the Weissenborn guitar.
Music Style: Blues, Acoustic Fingerstyle, Folk
Overall: Just received this today. Beautiful guitar with a great tone. I bought this because it was all solid mahogany. I like balanced tone of an all mahogany guitar and also own a 1951 Martin 00-17 and a 1999 Martin OM-15. The sound compares favorable with both of the Martins. I also wanted a short scale guitar and your talking over $2k for a Martin with similar specs. The workmanship is flawless both inside and out. If your a fan of mahogany, this offers great bang for the buck.
23 of 24 people (95.83%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Kerry" submitted February 27, 2019

By a customer from yahoo.com in Sunbury, PA
Musical Background: Playing guitar 45 years
Music Style: Folk and gospel, music
Overall: If you want a guitar that gives you a truly full tone with a lot of heart for $599 you’ll love this guitar. And yes the fingering around the neck is easy. Part of the work being done is going room to room doing music for in nursing homes. The size of this guitar makes that easy . Delivery was made in 24 hours. Thank you zZounds

"Great bang for your buck" submitted March 23, 2019

By William B. in Las Vegas, NV
Overall
Overall: After owning and playing many acoustics this guitar feels right at home too me. Has great vocal tone and projects nicely. A great bank for the buck.

"Love at first strum!" submitted March 8, 2020

By Willy J. in Larslan, MT
Overall
Musical Background: 21 years of playing and 100s of original songs. Multiple albums. Played professionally for 10+ years
Music Style: Americana, Blues, Rock, Alt Country, Singer/Songwriter
Overall: Alvarez made a true masterpiece for this price! I have been playing 20 years, and owned a lot of different guitars. This is my favorite! Great sustain, a brilliant shimmer tone with enough low to balance it out. My 1st mahogany guitar I am very pleased! Also the pictures do not do it justice, it is absolutely stunning. If you want a professional all solid mahogany acoustic this is the best in my opinion. Twice the guitar for the price!

"Kerry wolf music ministry" submitted January 25, 2019

By Kerry W. in Sunbury, PA
Overall
Musical Background: Been play 45 years , playing guitar and piano. Playing at hospitals nursing homes and churches.
Music Style: The type of music done if folk light country and music of spiritual nature.
Overall: Hello , a very nice guitar, it has a nice warm sound with a warm tone that has depth. In many ways the sound you want is up to you . I personally put silk folk strings on the guitar to bring out a warm sound yet with a lot of feels. I will say this if you’d like a guitar with a lot of heart for $599.00 don’t hold back .

When you call, mention priority code 20K-S97J. Llame Gratis en Español: 844-432-7449
Martes 9AM a 7PM EST