When you call, mention priority code 172N-F5PH

Rating and Reviews: Yamaha FG700S Acoustic

Get playing with the Yamaha FG700S. With its solid Sitka spruce top and super-comfortable neck, this is the entry-level acoustic you'll want to hold on to!

"Yamaha has done it again." submitted July 11, 2005

Music Style: Rock, Country
Sound: The sound of the guitar is amazing for the price. I've played some other models around this price range (squier, alvarez) and all i can say is that this guitar sounds 10000X times better. Quality: The quality is great (especially the fact it was made in china) it has a nice high gloss which looks fantastic, and the tortoise pick guard compliments it very nicely. Value: Yamaha has done it again. They've created a great entry level guitar for a very nice price. I would have payed an extra $50-$100 if I had to. Manufacturer Support: I haven't had any problems with the guitar since i got it (about 1 year ago). But if I do, im sure they will fix it. Overall: Overall this is a FANTASTIC guitar for the price. It's not a seagull or a Taylor but it still is up there with the greats. If it was stolen, i would replace it with the same model the next day with out a doubt.

"Yamaha Guitar #FG700S has a lot of bang for the buck!" submitted July 4, 2005

Music Style: Folk, Country, Soft Rock
Sound: For the price, I am giving it a 10. It sounds very beautiful, very rich. I put Elixir strings on it and I think that helps some with the sound. I played several other guitars in this price range, but this guitar had the best sound. It doesn't quite sound as good as my friend's Taylor, but close enough! For the difference in price, it sounds better to me! Feature: My guitar came alone without accessories. That was fine. It is quite lovely to look at, with the tortoise shell pickguard against the natural wood. You can see the grain of the wood in the soundhole and the wood isn't as thin as some guitars. I really like the way the neck isn't glossy, but has a satin finish. It looks really great, plus I think it makes it easier to keep your thumb in the right spot. Quality: Extremely well made. I was shocked to see it was made in China. I started checking inside all the guitars under $300 in the shop and all of them were made in China. The guitar seems sturdy, but I just got it, so time will tell. Value: Yeah, this guitar is worth more than the selling price! I think I'll have this guitar for years to come. Manufacturer Support: I really haven't had to deal with anything yet, since I just bought the guitar. But the company I bought the guitar from was great. I had exchanged another guitar, because I didn't like it as well and decided on this Yamaha. I asked them if they would put the Elixir strings on it and they did. The Wow Factor: It's gorgeous! The woods used are very pretty, with the sitka spruce top and the mahogany back and sides. The Yamaha name and logo are pretty too! The rosette is painted on and isn't as pretty as an abalone rosette, but at this price I don't care about that. Overall: I expect to keep this guitar for a very long time! After I'm more accomplished as a guitarist, perhaps I'll consider a pricier guitar. But even so, I'll keep this one around. If it were stolen, I'd replace it with the same model in a heartbeat!
84 of 86 people (97.67%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"Yamaha FG700S - now I know why everyone said to try this one." submitted July 3, 2011

Overall
Sound: I don't know why there is such a wide difference in sound between guitars in this price class, but there is. This one sounds much better than all the others. Before buying it, I also played some guitars in a higher price range (around $350), and it sounded better than those, too. It has a very full tone across all strings, and it's very loud, incredibly twangy and deep. Feature: Comes with a wrench for the trussrod. Ease of Use: Very playable. That's another thing I don't understand. I would have thought that an assortment of guitars all having the same neck widths and curvatures, same string gauges, and set up with the same neck relief and string heights, would all feel about the same, as to ease of fingering. But I found that this thing was easier to play. Somebody told me that it was, and I didn't believe it, for the above reasons. But when I tried it, it seemed true. I still don't know why, but it does feel nice. By the way, I don't work for Yamaha, don't know anybody there, and didn't know about their stuff until I started shopping for a guitar. I just like this thing. Quality: Quality control is really good. There is nothing wrong with this instrument. I have no idea if they are all like this, but this one made it out of the factory in excellent shape. Setup is perfect, and I noticed that the setup was very consistent on all the FG700S's that I played - they were all the same (4/32 inch low E height at 12th fret). The wood grain and finish are beautiful, parts fit together perfectly. Not a blemish on it. This was NOT just slapped together. It's made in China. I feel bad about that, for two very different reasons. First, there is the "Where have all the American jobs gone?" issue. Well, all the new factories for the last 15 years have been built overseas, not here, so we KNOW where the jobs went. But I like low-priced stuff as much as the next guy, and this is where it's all coming from... and that brings up the second reason that I feel bad. I can picture all those employees working 16 hour days over there, 6 or 7 days a week, no vacation, no time off, sometimes cheated out of pay, and the pay is low anyway, and if you complain about ANYTHING you get canned... and in spite of all that, they do an unbelievably good job! A great job, actually. Somehow, this makes it hard for me to sleep at night. Value: I left some room at the top in the other numerical ratings above, because I know there are (much more expensive) guitars out there that sound better, and are fancier. But for value -- price compared to what you get in terms of quality and how this guitar sounds and feels -- I can't imagine anything beating it. I'm not sure why anybody NEEDS anything more expensive than this... it really is quite nice, and I really looked at a lot of guitars before ordering this one. Manufacturer Support: I wanted an extra bridge saddle in case this one gets grooves worn in it eventually, and maybe they won't be making this guitar or parts for it by that time, so I ordered one from their parts website. Phoned to ask for part numbers, and the person I talked to really didn't know anything about their guitars... it was someone who covered all their products, like stereo equipment, and who knows what else. She did find some part numbers, though, but the one that seemed right (QC458900 75x3x10mm Bridge Saddle Compensated) was "unavailable". No clue what that means... temporarily out-of-stock? Discontinued?? So I ordered another similar item (QA079000 75x3x10mm Bridge Saddle White), hoping it would actually turn out to be a compensated saddle. It isn't. Don't order that - it's a plain, straight-top, uncompensated saddle, NOT the same as the compensated one that they put on the guitar at the factory. It is, however, made of the same white plastic-resin stuff that the factory-installed saddle is made from, if that suits your taste in bridge saddles. By the way, the intonation on the guitar with the factory-installed saddle is excellent. The Wow Factor: It feels nice to play, sounds unusually good, the abalone logo on the headstock looks cool, and it's very well made. I like the feel of the satin finish on the back of the neck, and the look of the grain everywhere. Overall: Next step up might be onboard electronics, but you have to get into the thousand dollar range to get an acoustic guitar that really sounds good plugged in. I was going to say that an onboard tuner would be nice, because the previous acoustic that I had always needed tuning, but this one stays in tune!! It does not require constant tinkering, so that's much less of an issue. A cutaway might be nice, for access to the higher frets, but that's not a big deal for me.

"A great guitar for beginners and experts alike" submitted May 25, 2009

Musical Background: about a year
Music Style: Rock, Alternative
Sound: For the price, you aren't going to find anything better. The FG700s has great, responsive bass and crisp highs. The mids, as some others say, are a bit lacking, but do not detract from the great sound by any noticable amount. It's suited for any type of playing, and sounds awesome whether your picking softly or straight out railing on the thing. Feature: Doesn't come with any accessories. It's got nice die-cast tuners, rust-resistant strings, and a great finish. Ease of Use: This is a great beginner guitar, but is still capable of anything a seasoned guitarist can throw at it. The action is nice and low for easy playing. Also, it seems to stay in tune for a very long time compared to other guitars I've had. Quality: Fit and finish is exceptional for the price. Everything is polished, no glue runs, a beautiful solid top, stays in tune for weeks... can't ask for much more for $200. Value: This, by far, is one of the best bang for the buck guitars out there. You could spend another $200 and still not find a guitar that's significantly better in sound as well as construction. Highly recommend picking it up whether you're a beginner or an experienced guitarist looking to buy a guitar under $500. Manufacturer Support: Haven't had to deal with customer support yet, and hopefully never will! The Wow Factor: Aesthetically, it's a beautifully crafted guitar. It has a nice headstock inlay, tortoise shell pick guard, and the finish is absolutely gorgeous. Overall: Buy it!!!

"ABSOLUTELY THE BEST DEAL YOU CAN FIND!! NO JOKE! THIS IS COMMING FROM AN EXPERIENCED PLAYER" submitted October 27, 2006

Musical Background: dedicated player for 9 years
Music Style: bluegrass, folk, flatpickin, and started electric guitar a few years back
Sound: id say for 200 bucks.....there is nothing that can touch it. Of course if u spent a whole lot more money the guitar is gonna sound and play better. i know this bcuz i have had a few nice guitars. ive owned a taylor 310(awesome guitar) and a martin d35 which i just traded(i know) in for a new strat and a nice amp. when i went in to have the strat setup a couple days after gettin it, i noticed they had a bunch of yamaha guitars. i sat down just to play for a min while they did that and this freakin guitar suprised the heck outta me. it has the best bass response ive ever heard in that price range. the mids lack just a little bit and the highs good and clear. then i looked at the price tag and it was only 200 bucks! it was the best sounding under 700. we gotta be honest it doesnt sound as good as the high priced exotic wood guitars BUT if u only want to spend a couple hundred maybe because your just beginning or just want a really good campfire guitar, look no further. trust me ive done the research for you by sittin in guitar stores over the past nine years or so for hours at a time playin everything they had. Feature: i like that they went the extra step to put abalone in the headstock inlays instead of plastic( gives it a much fancier look ). i really like the look of the small fretboard dots. they really let the other features stand out.of course the tourtise shell pickguard always looks better than plain black. and all in all its a really good lookin instrument. Ease of Use: it actually plays really good for a $200 guitar. its fairly smooth, some of the frets can be a little sticky at times. but whatever i only spent two hundo, i cant expect it to play like my d35. its really not a big enough problem to turn me off of the instrument. Quality: everything seems ok. little compund from buffing around the base of the neck, but thats no biggie just wipe it off. neck is straight. no dings dents or nicks. seems like a well built axe. Value: like i said ive played hundreds of guitars and owned a few very nice ones. and when u consider the money ive never found anything close to comparing to this. Manufacturer Support: nothing to say here The Wow Factor: it does have some sex appeal...the abalone headstock inlays, the color of the top ( has that nice sideways grain ). its just a good lookin guitar Overall: overall i really couldnt be happier. i was startin to miss my d35 really bad, but didnt have the money to do that again. so i spent $200 and now im not all that sad anymore. Thanx yamaha!
18 of 19 people (94.74%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"I love it" submitted December 27, 2007

Overall
Musical Background: grade 9 piano, starting to learn guitar (active musician)
Music Style: mellow rock
Sound: it sounds awesome, my friend has a guitar he payed a hundred bucks more for and i think mine sounds way better. i also put d'addario strings on it and it sounds even better Feature: the tortoise shell pick guard looks alott better than i thought it would. before i got it, i thought black would look better, but now i realise that it looks great, and its something you would usually get with a more expensive guitar. i like the little abalone inlay design in the headstock aswell. Quality: everything looks really well put together. the finish is great, no scratches or anything. yamaha usually does a really good job in terms of quality. Value: it's more than worth it's selling price. other guitars for the same price are poorly made and dont have a rich a sound as this yamaha Manufacturer Support: haven't needed it Overall: i'll probably have this guitar for the rest of my life, i love it. i've looked through stores and have tried other guitars even 4 times the price, and i still thought my yamaha sounded better. i considered other products, and im very lucky i chose this.
16 of 17 people (94.12%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"One of the best in it's price range" submitted June 26, 2008

Music Style: country, classic rock
Sound: I think the Guitar sounds great. This is one of the best sounding guitars in it's price range in my honest opinion. I am a novice at best at this point in my guitar playing experience but this is an excellent beginner guitar to me. The guitar is very compatible with my musical taste and style. I have no idea how it would sound with other products but it sounds great by itself to me. I still have the strings that came on it on the guitar, I figured I'd wear them out and get some new one's for it. It might be a good idea to put some better quality strings on it but I am happy for now with the ones i have on it. Feature: Mine did not come with any accessories. I bought a hard shell case so as to protect my investment in it. The case cost me about sixty dollars at Guitar Center where I bought the Guitar as well. I love the chrome tuners on it. It has a solid spruce top which i really liked because I had rather had a solid top instead of a laminate top because of the sound quality and it will only sound better with age because of the solid spruce top. I find none of the features on this guitar useless at all. I believe this to be a very well put together instrument for the money I spent on it and look forward to having it around for many years to come. Ease of Use: The guitar is very playable. It has a nice action to it and it does not take a lot of effort to press the strings in order to play it. Quality: It is very beautiful and although it has no bells or whistles on it it's very attractive and pleasing to look at. It is a very dependable guitar and even it i were to get good enough to want to buy a more expensive intrument I would still play this one. Value: well worth the money i paid for it. Manufacturer Support: Haven' needed any help or assistance. The Wow Factor: Very sexy guitar Overall: well this one will do fine for me until i become a more experienced player, but, I'll play this one for the rest of my life i'm sure.
15 of 16 people (93.75%) found this review helpful. Did you?

"the solid body top and the sound makes it an amazing deal!" submitted January 28, 2006

Music Style: country
Sound: The sound is amazing for a guitare in this prize range.... the top of the body is solid wood and not laminated and it just sounds amazing. The tones are a little bit crisp right when you play then and then smooze in the end Feature: great mixture, solid top part Quality: Looks preet good to me Value: amazing deal for the prize Manufacturer Support: no experience The Wow Factor: very sexy fo a acustic guitar

"Yamaha fg700s buy it and save $200" submitted April 7, 2006

Musical Background: was active musician
Sound: The sound quality is very good. Nothing inside $450 can match this one. However, you will need a new set of strings (probably Martin Clapton's Choice Phosphor Bronze, or better). Strange but Yamaha fg720s is not as good. Feature: No accessories. Ease of Use: It is easy to get great sound - very playable indeed. Quality: Not top quality, but reasonably good. Value: This product is worth 2x price. Manufacturer Support: Yamaha - the best. The Wow Factor: Quality/price 10. Overall: I am quite happy.

"An amazing looking and sounding guitar for the price" submitted January 29, 2008

Overall
Sound: This guitar has a clean, crisp sound. It sounds the same as a much more expensive guitar. Feature: It is amazing that a guitar in this price range has a solid wood top. The tortoise shell pickguard is very attractive. Ease of Use: This guitar is very easy to play. Some other guitars I've played have higher strings that needed to be pressed harder, but this one plays so nicely. Quality: Nice tuning knobs and beautiful finish on the wood Value: The salesman where I bought this said that it was the nicest playing acoustic in the $200 price range. The Wow Factor: It is very attractive, but I wish it had some abalone in it like my sister's Ibanez. Overall: I exchanged a Fender Squire guitar for this one because I wanted to switch to an acoustic. It plays so much better than that one did. I expect to always have this guitar.

"Excellent value!!" submitted April 2, 2014

By Randy B in Escanaba, MI
Musical Background: 10 years, guitar, bass
Music Style: rock, blues, metal
Overall: This acoustic is one of the best sounding I have ever played. It came with a good setup and plays great! Fit and finish is excellent and it looks as good as it sounds and plays. I would have easily paid twice the money.

"Best Bang For The Buck Out There" submitted December 25, 2013

Overall
Overall: Very fast shipping, Nothing missing in my order, Package properly every thing in great shape. Business very trust worthy. Would order from them again. Instrument was a gift. Have no idea about the manufacturer support, haven't owned it long enough, beside its China, don't think you are going to get much from them?

"What a great deal!" submitted November 25, 2008

By a customer from telus.net
Music Style: country soft rock
Sound: best sound I've ever gotten out of a guitar for under 500.00! This guitar is a steal.I think it sounds better than there fg720 model,which is 50 bucks or so more! I love the satin finish and slimmer neck.A plearsure to play. Feature: It came with zero accessories. Ease of Use: The action is great for hammerons and pull offs. Manufacturer Support: No. The Wow Factor: Love the satin finish and solid stka spruce top,tortise pick guard,closed machineheads. Overall: I'll always keep this guitar for my accoustic.Would like to get a great hollowed body electric also though.

"Amazing GraceFul guitar." submitted April 11, 2009

Musical Background: Active singer/songwriter
Music Style: very eclectic
Sound: I love this guitar. It's easy to play...I lost my calluses after not playing for almost a year and after hours of play, my fingertips weren't sore. The sound is crisp and clear and best of all, it doesn't go out of tune. Highly recommended. Feature: It didn't come with accessories. I bought a case and a Kyser capo, which is very good. Ease of Use: I tuned it by ear at first and discovered I had it way too low. I re-tuned it to D, which suits my voice. I capo'd it and the sound was still amazing no matter how far up the neck I went. It's very playable. Quality: It's very well made. I've found no problems whatsoever with it. Value: The price was very reasonable, especially since I had a 15% off coupon. I tried many other guitars in the same price range and this was by far superior. Manufacturer Support: I've dealt with the company before and as usual, it was a breeze. I haven't had it long enough to have any repairs done, and I don't foresee any in the future. The Wow Factor: Sex appeal? Funny question. It's a guitar! I do like the thin neck and the easy action of the strings. Overall: This baby will become ashes with me. In other words, I will have this for life. I have no need to look any further for a guitar. If it were lost or stolen, dog forbid, I'd replace it. I like everything about it, well, except it doesn't have a knob for a strap, but that's cool.

When you call, mention priority code 172N-F5PH. Llame Gratis en Español: 800-460-7976